Chrome 110 brings NVIDIA RTX Super Resolution support

erek

[H]F Junkie
Nice, Chrome 110 out too

"NVIDIA showcased the technology working for YouTube, but one can imagine that it will find a much broader use. Technically speaking, nothing should stop NVIDIA and Google from allowing VSR to work with GeForce Now or even premium video streaming platforms such as Netflix. That could theoretically allow 4K videos from 1080p source and an opportunity to safe on higher membership tier.

As long as official information is considered, RTX VSR will only work with GeForce RTX 30 and RTX 40 graphics cards. The RTX 20 series are also confirmed to be supported later. NVIDIA still needs to release a compatible driver which should happen sometime in late February."

1675891600216.png

https://videocardz.com/newz/chrome-110-brings-nvidia-rtx-super-resolution-support

Nice, Chrome 110 out too

"NVIDIA showcased the technology working for YouTube, but one can imagine that it will find a much broader use. Technically speaking, nothing should stop NVIDIA and Google from allowing VSR to work with GeForce Now or even premium video streaming platforms such as Netflix. That could theoretically allow 4K videos from 1080p source and an opportunity to safe on higher membership tier.

As long as official information is considered, RTX VSR will only work with GeForce RTX 30 and RTX 40 graphics cards. The RTX 20 series are also confirmed to be supported later. NVIDIA still needs to release a compatible driver which should happen sometime in late February."

View attachment 547565
https://videocardz.com/newz/chrome-110-brings-nvidia-rtx-super-resolution-support
Disney, Netflix, Amazon, and everybody else can implement it should they want.
The SDK for it is available here if you register: https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ngx
It just uses the AI-Upres aspects of the kit.
It has been in "early access" since 2019, so hopefully, it gets public availability soon possibly in March when they release a compatible driver for the RTX 2000 series cards.

It should be noted though that Chrome is primarily used on PCs Nvidia is the dominant GPU in that space, Disney, Netflix, Prime, etc, those are probably mostly used on ARM devices running Android or iOS with no Nvidia GPU so there is probably much less of a need for them to implement these features.
My fear here is Google will lock this functionality behind the requirement you be using the quic protocol, and as much as I could use the bandwidth this could save I can't safely enable quic on the network because of all the other stuff Google sneaks in those packets that I can't filter or monitor.

Because Chrome already using half of system memory wasn't enough somehow?

NVIDIA GeForce 528.49 Driver Doesn't Support RTX Virtual Super Resolution in Chrome 110 Yet

Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge 110 introduced RTX virtual super resolution (VSR) support. This would come as a boost to browser-based games, as well as next-generation webpages that use raster graphics objects that can be rendered at a lower resolution than the user's display resolution, and upscaled at minimal hardware-resource cost. When our Chrome browsers and GeForce drivers updated last week, we couldn't get VSR to work. The latest GeForce 528.49 WHQL drivers released on February 8 do not support RTX VSR, yet. Driver support is now expected to be added from GeForce R530-series drivers.

Cool tech that is actually an nvidia differentiator.

As per usual, they will not share and it is proprietary. AMD either has to make an open source version or leave this unanswered. Then there will be a fight over formats (or not).

I don’t use Chrome or nvidia hardware, so I guess I’ll never get to see/know the difference if any. I imagine that because this has so many dependencies that only a subset who could benefit, actually will.

And yet still no Dolby digital / atmos surround sound unless you use the Windows store Netflix app

I would like to see more of this in action, VHS quality level upsampled. I would be more interested in Netflix, Prime Video ETC. Google yeah but really not that important for me.

If using Netflix with Chrome, will it upsample?

Lovely looks like I'll have to uninstall chrome off 2012r2 boxes as they won't get updated. (OS isn't EOL till October)
1676839501968.png

Back