Chinese Supercomputer Destroys Speed Record

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
China’s Tianhe-2 Supercomputer has claimed the world’s computing speed record unofficially without breaking a virtual sweat. Matter of fact, the supercomputer wasn’t even operating at full capacity when it reached 30.65 petaflops, beating the current record holder, Titan, a US based supercomputer by 74%.

Tianhe-2 has a theoretical peak performance of 54.9 petaflops. Measurements for the Top 500 list always fall somewhat short of theoretical peaks, but Tianhe-2 could certainly improve on its score of 30.65 petaflops if it ran Linpack across the entire system.

That supercomputer uses 32,000 Ivy Bridge-based Xeons and 48,000 Xeon Phi coprocessors.

I know what you're thinking: is it Crysis 4 ready?

Apparently they ran it at 90% load. Theres not too much left to give.

Meh. The total btc/ltc network still has more power. :p

That btc think collectively does nothing but enable criminal acts and the "honest" people that use it are only the static needed to cover illicit stuff and the voices needed to hide the icky stuff naughty people do with bitcoins. :(

"icky stuff" ? like getting ahold of a bag of pot?

you are creepy uncle Google

2 CPUs, 3 Xeon Phi's, and ~87.5GB of system memory per node.

notbad.jpg

"icky stuff" ? like getting ahold of a bag of pot?

you are creepy uncle Google

Yes, pots are evil. So are pans and don't even get me started on those cookie sheet things! Have you ever seen what cookie sheets do to people?! :mad: Well...have you?!

Yes, I have. It's not pretty. Bull Mastiffs don't slobber that much. :p

Yes, pots are evil. So are pans and don't even get me started on those cookie sheet things! Have you ever seen what cookie sheets do to people?! :mad: Well...have you?!

China may hold the record right now. What China may not know is what is coming next as another member pointed out.

yes yes let's shut down 23 schools and build a $400 million dollar prison then wonder why China is beating us

So it'll consume Chinese math problems really quickly and then be hungry again in 20 minutes.....

yes yes let's shut down 23 schools and build a $400 million dollar prison then wonder why China is beating us

Its statements like these that they're beating us. Interest is some side issue outweighs baser realities.

The real problem with educations and the Chinese 'beating us' is that we allow our universities to fill up enrollments, especially post graduate, with students from PRC and then those students go back home. The University and staff get generous donations from the Chinese government and corporations so they're fine with it.

Time to start a kickstarter program.

32k IB Xeons and 48k Xeon PHIs?

Piece of cake.

I know guys who work on Titan.. this is hardly a big deal.. Titan is being upgraded soon to be far beyond that chinese computer.

That supercomputer uses 32,000 Ivy Bridge-based Xeons and 48,000 Xeon Phi coprocessors.

I know what you're thinking: is it Crysis 4 ready?

What I'm thinking is how long until it overheats and blows up?

Instuction for Super-Compute Running:

1) Ensure plug power is fixed in wall.

2) Close power button from front of panel.

this must be the public fastest super computer because there are some sweat ones built that don't use off the shelf parts

Back