Cheapest 1gb RAM to run at 200fsb

spencers

Gawd
I currently have 1x512mb of Twinmos BH-5 PC3200. I'm looking to get a gig of ram to replace the 1x512mb because it's just too hard to find an identical stick.

So, if I sell the Twinmos ram, what brand of 2x512 sticks should I get? I'd want it to easily hit 400 fsb when overclocked. It doesnt have to come in 2x512, so I wouldn't mind buying them separate, just as long as they are identical. :)

Help me out please!

Why don't you just get 2 sticks of Crucial 512 PC3200? Sure, they don't have the super tight timings, but the RAM is great.

That was another question I have about RAM.

Do timings affect performance? ie, gaming performance. Would I notice a difference between the tight bh-5 timings (512mb) vs loose crucial timings (1gig)?

Thanks for your input :)

There have been really good deals on Kingston value pc3200 ram as of late. Some people have reported good OC's as well.

Thank you!

Keep the replies coming guys, I'll be out of town for a week, so list me some more good info. :cool:

Timings are more important to the AMD platform - I think the difference you'd get would be maybe a 5% drop in performance or so going from the best timings BH5 gives, and the looser timings of other RAM (like Crucial, Kingston Value, Corsair Value, Mushkin Select).

So weigh cost vs. performance - if you want to keep the best timings for a little extra performance, just know you'll have to pay maybe $100 more or higher for some memory that can give you 2-2-2-11 timings (best for the AMD).

Hmm NewEgg just had some Buffalo 512MB modules with CH-5 that did that. $99 each.

EDIT: Oops they are gone now.. That didnt last long...

Thanks guys, keep the replies coming.

I'm still interested in getting new ram, so please keep me updated.

Back