Cheap soundcard with 5.1 optical

MisterClean

2[H]4U
I need a recommendation for the least expensive sound card that supports surround sound over s/pdif or optical out for my HTPC. PCIE or PCI doesn't really matter.

I saw there is a rocketfish 5.1 for 30 dollars at best buy, but it only supports stereo over s/pdif. I don't really care about any other features, as it's going to be sending signal to my surround receiver.

Any ideas?

Is this only for movies? Nearly any soundcard with an s/pdif output can send out DD/DTS. If you want surround games, then you'll need something with DDL or DTS Connect.

yeah it's only for movies. I need it because my MSI P6n Platinum, with on board realtek won't send 5.1 over s/pdif.

I had bought an x-fi titanium gamer pro pcie, and that worked great, but it's in my gaming computer now, so i need a replacement.

yeah it's only for movies. I need it because my MSI P6n Platinum, with on board realtek won't send 5.1 over s/pdif.

I had bought an x-fi titanium gamer pro pcie, and that worked great, but it's in my gaming computer now, so i need a replacement.

Are your movies Dolby Digital or DTS? If so, it should work fine.

Most of it is Dolby AC3, so I'm not sure if that works or not. In the RealTek Digital Output Properties, it shows to support Dolby Digital and DTS Audio.

When I play a movie in MPC-HC it only out puts in 2.1, although the movie is 6channel AC3.

EDIT: My reciever supports DTS connect, and DDL! and so did the x-fi, which is what I think I'm missing from my onboard realtek.

Last edited:
Most of it is Dolby AC3, so I'm not sure if that works or not. In the RealTek Digital Output Properties, it shows to support Dolby Digital and DTS Audio.

When I play a movie in MPC-HC it only out puts in 2.1, although the movie is 6channel AC3.

EDIT: My reciever supports DTS connect, and DDL! and so did the x-fi, which is what I think I'm missing from my onboard realtek.

Your receiver supports DD and DTS. DDL and DTS Connect are technologies used in sound cards.

I still think this is a software configuration issue, because if the RealTek supports DD and DTS, you should get 5.1.

Is it set to use 6 channels in Windows?

I would believe this is a software configuration deal as well. Make sure your playback programs are also set to output DD/DTS 5.1 over optical.

So it looks like it was a software problem afterall. Thanks guys.

I downloaded AC3 filter and configured it to passthrough everything as Dolby Pro Logic II, and set it as the default audio decoder in MPC-HC. Everything I've tested with multi-channel is working with my receiver decoding DPLII. Stereo stuff is still getting sent as PCM 2.1, but that's no big deal anyway.

You didn't even need to download anything. Simply go to the MPC-HC options, double click on AC3 or DTS under transform filters in the internal filters list and choose SPDIF.

So it looks like it was a software problem afterall. Thanks guys.

I downloaded AC3 filter and configured it to passthrough everything as Dolby Pro Logic II, and set it as the default audio decoder in MPC-HC. Everything I've tested with multi-channel is working with my receiver decoding DPLII. Stereo stuff is still getting sent as PCM 2.1, but that's no big deal anyway.

Why are you using Pro Logic II? Pro Logic II is for taking stereo audio and matrixing it to multi channel. You should be passing through the Dolby Digital or the DTS audio track, not messing with Pro Logic II.

You should only use Pro Logic II on stereo sources like movies or movies/tv with only stereo.

Back