Cheap replacement for Ti4600

rgbyhkr

n00b
Ok, I have a 3 year old machine that I will be replacing late this year or early next. To be honest, it doesn't get too much use, but I do use it for a few things. Anyways, I was clumsy and knocked over the case while it was sitting on a concrete floor

Immediately after, the system seemed fine. But a week later when I next went to use it, it was hung. I tried rebooting and the output feed from the vid card to my display goes out about halfway through the Windows XP boot sequence. I can access shared resources on the PC from other machines on my network, so I guess the O/S and other components are working ok. Without a usable output to a display (the motherboard doesn't have one), I can't do much with it.

I tried reseating the card and checking for loose components, but I didn't see anything amiss. If someone has other suggestions, I'd be happy to try but in case the card is toast, what would be a cheap (<=$80) replacement for a PNY Ti4600? By the way, the slot is an AGP Pro. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Perhaps if you can find a good deal on an AGP Geforce 6200 or 6600 you'll be covered for till you build a new comp.

Thanks for the help. I feel like a complete idiot but I guess accidents happen. Now I need to make sure that I get it from a place I can return to in case the card turns out not to be the problem.

well newegg is good lol

*points to ad the the top of the page*

EgyptBoy20 said:
The 6600GT is slightly out reach @ $150...6600 is seconded. Avoid the 6200...shitty performance.

A stock 6200 will probably outscore a ti4600 in 3dmark03. Not much of an upgrade, but probably fine for a 3 year old machine. Most agp 6200's will unlock to a 6600. Good bit faster than a ti4600 then.

kurt454 said:
A stock 6200 will probably outscore a ti4600 in 3dmark03. Not much of an upgrade, but probably fine for a 3 year old machine. Most agp 6200's will unlock to a 6600. Good bit faster than a ti4600 then.
I dont know...low end cards=shitty performance. I have an FX5200, I know these things. Also, The core clocks on these cards are the same (300 Mhz). The memory, however, on the 6200 is 500Mhz, whereas on the TI4600 it is 650 Mhz. My reccomandation is the 6600, then overclock it.

The 6600 is a better card. I have a Leadtek 6200agp in my second machine. It scored 2840 pts in 3dmark03. A stock ti4600 scores around 1500-1700 pts. As I stated, it is not much of an upgrade, but would be a cheap replacement for the Geforce 4 card. My 6200 unlocked to a 6600 using Rivatuner. Score jumped to 4500 without o/cing.

i disagree, the 9600 pro would give you dx9 and anisotropic and AA at playable speeds. but overall games would be slower.

and use the clickthrough ad up top of the screen :) but there isnt really an upgrade in that price range imo

Ocean said:
i disagree, the 9600 pro would give you dx9 and anisotropic and AA at playable speeds. but overall games would be slower.

and use the clickthrough ad up top of the screen :) but there isnt really an upgrade in that price range imo

If you read his post, you'll see he isn't upgrading, he's replacing a bad card.

diablo111 said:
If you read his post, you'll see he isn't upgrading, he's replacing a bad card.

Yes, I am replacing a card I think is bad. I think the 9600 might be my best bet. Out of curiosity, for $8 more I see Newegg sells the same card but with 256MB vs 128MB. You can see that card here. Any real benefit for the additional $8? Thanks again to all.

Jeff

rgbyhkr said:
Ok, I have a 3 year old machine that I will be replacing late this year or early next. To be honest, it doesn't get too much use, but I do use it for a few things. Anyways, I was clumsy and knocked over the case while it was sitting on a concrete floor

Immediately after, the system seemed fine. But a week later when I next went to use it, it was hung. I tried rebooting and the output feed from the vid card to my display goes out about halfway through the Windows XP boot sequence. I can access shared resources on the PC from other machines on my network, so I guess the O/S and other components are working ok. Without a usable output to a display (the motherboard doesn't have one), I can't do much with it.

I tried reseating the card and checking for loose components, but I didn't see anything amiss. If someone has other suggestions, I'd be happy to try but in case the card is toast, what would be a cheap (<=$80) replacement for a PNY Ti4600? By the way, the slot is an AGP Pro. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

For under $80 you arent gonna get a card as fast as your ti4600, at least not new. This is what you will get in that pricerange new:
GeForce 6200 128mb 64-bit $78
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122222

For something that would be a good replacement for your ti4600, you need to spend a bit more cash:
i.e.

GeForce 6200 128mb 128-bit $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133138

GeForce 6600 128mb 128-bit <-- this one I would definitely recommend for $130
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=324549

You can of course get all these models for about $20-$30 cheaper from newegg refurbished, but I don't recommend that route.

rgbyhkr said:
Yes, I am replacing a card I think is bad. I think the 9600 might be my best bet. Out of curiosity, for $8 more I see Newegg sells the same card but with 256MB vs 128MB. You can see that card here. Any real benefit for the additional $8? Thanks again to all.

Jeff
Not much benefit going to 256 memory on that particular card, but it is only 8 more dollars.

kurt454 said:
Not much benefit going to 256 memory on that particular card, but it is only 8 more dollars.

True dat...for $8, even though you won't gain a whole lot, it's still worth it.

Thanks again to all. For the additional $8, I will probably go with the Sapphire 256MB 9600. As I said, I will be reaplacing the system within a year and I don't do all that much PC gaming these days. Most of my new game purchases these days are console based simply because of where my new system got relegated in our new house (a sad spot in the basement - hence the concrete floor incident). I was looking for a decent replacement that doesn't necessarily have to give equal performance to the Ti4600.

That being said, I really do appreciate all the help and certainly the links provided by you folks. It really does make a situation like this easier. I did consider the 2 mentioned by tranCendenZ but in the end, I figured since I won't keep this system for too much longer, I might as well save a few bucks to go towards the new rig later.

By the time I replace it, I should have my office finished and ready to put the PC back in a more respectable location ;). So, this is a holdover until then. I thought about just getting a new high-end card to use now and transfer over to the new system later, but I would be restricetd to AGP for compatability with my current mb and in 6-12 months, something better will be out.

Jeff

By the way, I'm now pretty sure that the card was the culprit. I hadn't tried before, but I tested booting into safe mode. While I was able to see the display, it appeared very oddly with yellow vertical lines and various other discolorations spaced across the display. Just to try something different, I updated the card's drivers and attempted to reboot normally. This resulted in a static, very funky looking display with nothing discernable on the screen. It almost made the LCD look broken.

Thankfully, I was able to borrow a 9600 card from a friend's machine. It worked like a charm. I haven't tested the Ti4600 in another PC as the last verification that the card is broken, but I feel pretty sure that it is.

I went ahead and ordered that 256MB Sapphire card from Newegg. Again, thanks to all.

Jeff

when it hit the floor, thus causing the GPU core to overheat.... check that heatsink/fan assembly on the card, also make sure the fan is spinning...... worth a shot.

Back