cheap motherboard problem.

Big Worm

2[H]4U
My friend is having a motherboard/graphics card problem.

He has a cheap ECS motherboard with a sis 661 chipset. He has an fx5600 video card installed.

problem is, when we try to play wow on his computer, it pops up with an error saying unable to start video accelerator. something along those lines.

now when I open dxdiag, under display and notes, it says direct3d and direct draw not functioning.

My first guess is its a driver problem, reason being when we put xp on this machine, we didnt have the motherboard driver disc. we just installed xp updated it and added drivers for vid card etc without the motherboard drivers or anything. computer ran fine till now when we try to play a game.

if this is the case, anybody know what specific drivers would cause the agp card to not work properly like this?

my first thought was chipset drivers, but on the ecs site they dont have chipset drivers specifically at all.

the board is an ecs sis 661 socket 478 motherboard.

Go to the SIS website and download the latest AGP drivers that would probably fix your problem.

now, I hate to sound too much like a noob lol, but how should I install these drivers. There no missing driver to prompt me to install them.

now, I hate to sound too much like a noob lol, but how should I install these drivers. There no missing driver to prompt me to install them.
Double click on the file you downloaded and it will install the latest drivers.

Back