Cheap comp...

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Hmmm what would be a cheap amd system for around 600 with dvd drive and another dvd optical drive....

with around 60-80 gb of storage and a decent video card?

With like Microsoft word.... and some burning software...

IM thinking athlonXP processor....

thanks this machine would get a lil game usage not much but a fair amount but mainly for files and etc...

# X-BLADE Medium Tower Case 450 W (BLACK)
# AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Processor (512K L2 CACHE)
# ASUS A7N8X-X nVidia nForce-2 400 FSB 8X AGP w/ USB 2.0
# 256 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY
# 80GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
# NONE - Hard Drive
# nVidia GeForce FX 5700 256MB 8x AGP w/ TVO, & DVI
# SONY 16X DVD-ROM (BLACK)
# NEC ND2500A DVDRW/CDRW DRIVE (BLACK)
# NONE - MONITOR
# 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD

Im thinking this, any thoughts?

*Edit I have some memory on an old hp I would give it a 128mb stick and a 256 mb wich should be plenty and maybe an old 64 mb lol which is on a really old 95 if it would work...

EDIT*

X-BLADE Medium Tower Case 450 W (SILVER)
AMD™ Athlon™ XP-2800+ Processor (Barton 512K L2 Cache)
Albatron Nforce2 Ultra DDR 400 Dual Channel MB w/ LAN, USB2.0, & Audio
256 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY (Major_Brand)
80GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
NONE - Hard Drive
nVidia GeForce FX 5700 256MB 8x AGP w/ TVO, & DVI
ARTEC 16X DVD ROM (BLACK)
PLEXTOR 52x24x52x CD-RW EIDE (BLACK)
NONE - MONITOR
3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD

Price: $787.00

if you're trying to save money, why buy a DVD and a DVDRW drive?

how about picking up an XP-M chip, a decent HSF and overclocking it?

Im afraid to overclock and this comp will play dvds s and its priced at 761 put together from cyberpower

ok...a DVDRW drive will play DVDs just fine. you don't need a seperate DVD-ROM for that.

and i wouldn't be to afraid of overclocking. it's REALLY tough to kill the AMD XP CPUs.

I've killed Intel chips from oc'ing ...but never killed and AMD chip yet from overclocking

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
I rather not, Iv ehear horror stories.... :rolleyes:

it's REALLY EASY to kill an XP by installing the HSF incorrectly, but that has nothing to do with overclocking and everything to do with being careful.

i've run 2.1v through my XP-M chip and it's just fine right now. i'm using aircooling by the way.

Well lets put it this way guys Im no computer noob ok but I would be totaly new to overclocking and wouldnt know any procedures to use when doing it.

I wouldn't build a machine with less than 512MB of RAM; 256 doesn't leave you with much after loading everything up.

and $761 is too much for that hardware if you know how to use a screwdriver. $650 on newegg got me that rig with 512MB of RAM instead of 256, 120GB HDD instead of the 80 and replaced the DVD-ROM with a CDRW/DVD-ROM combo.

i agree with ameoba(hey, didn't we do a trade at one point?), i'd buy the parts from newegg and build it yourself.

and i'm still not sure why your listing a DVD drive and a seperate CDRW. newegg has a NEC 8x Dual Layer DVDRW for $80 right now.

Yeah, I dont feel like building this for some reason and I have extra ram laying around.

I also get mworks and some other goodies plus keyboard and mouse and some other goods

what kind of memory is in the HP? if it's not PC3200 you'll probably have to use a divider on your RAM.

you may have to run a divider to get the keep the PC2700 in spec. AMD XPs take a pretty big performance hit when the RAM isn't running in sync with the FSB.

ONe quick question if I use 3200 ram ok 512 mb could I stick in a 2700 mb ram with it? :confused:

yes you can, but you'll have to run all of the ram async unless you can overclock the PC2700.

Well do you think its a good comp for the price?

It sohuld last 3 years about..

lol

but its a good setup?

besides it comes with xp pro witch retails at stores between 200-300

newegg 130

my xp pro costs $0. Don't you already have an operating system? Also, what makes you think you need pro over home?

Paying that much money for a computer with only 256mb of ram is stupid. Take the advice of people above, who built basically a 2x better comp for $50-100 less...

Yes I have an OS and you cant use an auth code twice unless I want to install me!

I think is a great deal I fI dont feel like building it.

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
Yes I have an OS and you cant use an auth code twice unless I want to install me!

I think is a great deal I fI dont feel like building it.

If you are convinced its such a good deal then buy it and be happy. Stop trying to convince everyone else, we know better.

Well then fine

Change my mind and show me what I can get with burning software,windows pro or xp, microsoft works and some other software if I build it myself.

Actually, as far as I know, it's perfectly fine to use a code twice. I've used mine many many times, each time I reformat in fact, and seems to work just fine for me.

As far as the comp goes... it's quite possible you could start stepping into the A64 arena for as much money as you're spending on that cyberpower prebuilt system, and include a bit more ram, snazzier vid card etc to boot. Or if not going with A64 (as that IS still a bit more expensive than the AXPs), could at the very least upgrade the video card a little and such.

ameoba said:
I wouldn't build a machine with less than 512MB of RAM; 256 doesn't leave you with much after loading everything up.

and $761 is too much for that hardware if you know how to use a screwdriver. $650 on newegg got me that rig with 512MB of RAM instead of 256, 120GB HDD instead of the 80 and replaced the DVD-ROM with a CDRW/DVD-ROM combo.

thats assuming that the operating system will install.

Or should I go on to tell you about my horror stories ?

Dear AMDXPCottonFire22,

If you want to pay too much for too little because you're too lazy to build it yourself or unsure how to mount a heatsink properly (secret tip: make sure it's seated in a level fashion before you clamp it down), well that ain't [H] at all is it?
We can still give yo' lazy ass a couple of tips however ;)

You're running XP.
You even might play a game at some point.
Therefore, double the RAM.

If you think you can't afford it, drop one of the optical drives and get a combo model instead (DVD-R drives are inexpensive and burn CD's and read DVD's too, you know...), and downgrade your processor to a 2500 or 2600.

You need the RAM more than you need the clock speed for everyday usage.

Your 64MB and 128MB modules are probably not even PC2700, don't use them.

Since you have overclockaphobia and the processor you specified runs at a 333MHz FSB by default, the RAM should ideally be running at 333 effective (PC2700 speed) anyway. Using old PC2700 is therefore fine if it works correctly.
But stick to 256MB modules or larger.

Buying a Plextor burner when you want to build an inexpensive box is generally not optimal. Pick a Lite-On or a Samsung or somethin, better yet buy a single combo DVD+/-R drive, which will do everything you need.

Don't buy an FX5700, let alone an FX5700 with 256MB of RAM on it.
Remember kids, the amount of RAM on the video card is a lot less important than the speed of the video card processor.

You can strap 512MB of RAM on a turd and it will still be a turd.

If you insist on an nvidia card, get a 5900XT or a 5900SE with 128MB or RAM. Much faster and will last you a lot longer. If you cannot afford either and you refuse to purchase an ATI product, get a 5700 with 128MB of RAM on it, 256MB on that level of GPU is worthless and wastes your money for no good reason.

If you aren't scared by the terrible, fanged Canadian demons at ATI, get at a 9600Pro or preferably a 9600XT (128MB). Same price range as a normal 5700, better performance.

leukotriene said:
Dear AMDXPCottonFire22,

If you want to pay too much for too little because you're too lazy to build it yourself or unsure how to mount a heatsink properly (secret tip: make sure it's seated in a level fashion before you clamp it down), well that ain't [H] at all is it?
We can still give yo' lazy ass a couple of tips however ;)

You're running XP.
You even might play a game at some point.
Therefore, double the RAM.

If you think you can't afford it, drop one of the optical drives and get a combo model instead (DVD-R drives are inexpensive and burn CD's and read DVD's too, you know...), and downgrade your processor to a 2500 or 2600.

You need the RAM more than you need the clock speed for everyday usage.

Your 64MB and 128MB modules are probably not even PC2700, don't use them.

Since you have overclockaphobia and the processor you specified runs at a 333MHz FSB by default, the RAM should ideally be running at 333 effective (PC2700 speed) anyway. Using old PC2700 is therefore fine if it works correctly.
But stick to 256MB modules or larger.

Buying a Plextor burner when you want to build an inexpensive box is generally not optimal. Pick a Lite-On or a Samsung or somethin, better yet buy a single combo DVD+/-R drive, which will do everything you need.

Don't buy an FX5700, let alone an FX5700 with 256MB of RAM on it.
Remember kids, the amount of RAM on the video card is a lot less important than the speed of the video card processor.

You can strap 512MB of RAM on a turd and it will still be a turd.

If you insist on an nvidia card, get a 5900XT or a 5900SE with 128MB or RAM. Much faster and will last you a lot longer. If you cannot afford either and you refuse to purchase an ATI product, get a 5700 with 128MB of RAM on it, 256MB on that level of GPU is worthless and wastes your money for no good reason.

If you aren't scared by the terrible, fanged Canadian demons at ATI, get at a 9600Pro or preferably a 9600XT (128MB). Same price range as a normal 5700, better performance.
well said

very well said

I changed some crap and got 3200 512 mb of memory and video 9600pro and got it down to 764 with dual optical drives etc.

i built the computer in my sig for under $600... if you aren't going to go the sff route.. get something along these lines

all prices are approximate and change a little every day anyways.. @ newegg.com
abit nf7 - $65
amd mobile 35 watt 2400+ - $89
mushkin pc3200 512mb - $80
antec sonata case with truepower 380 psu. - $100 + $15 shipping
160 gig 8mb drive of your choice - $100
dvd burner - $80

total = $464.. throw in whatever video card you want, depending on how much gaming you want to do...

Ok my friend - you seem to be confused - so I will help you out. Dont buy it from cyberpower or ibuypower - if u dont feel comfortable building (it is VERY easy) then let me know - i build custom comps and ill build it for u (maybe 100 bux labour charge)
staying with your budget here are the parts i reccomend:
ABIT NF7 motherboard - $65
Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ - $88
GeForece FX5900xt 128mb - $171 (256bit - much better than the 5700)
512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM - 119
Windows XP Pro - $138
Aspire X-dreamer case (350w) - $65
Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm harddrive - $61
NEC 8x Dual layer DVD-RW drive - $80
Keyboard/Optical mouse - $30
Cooling/thermal paste - around 30 bux
total - 847
you could take off some cost by going with xp home, a dvd and cdrw combo drive or a less powerful video card (but i think you will need it)

Back