Changing VLAN names on production network

bencho

2[H]4U
Will this have any affect on a live network?
After renaming on a core cat, VTP will push out the change. But will it affect traffic?

Not sure what you mean by "Name". If you change the VLAN tag then yes it will affect traffic.....

On a switch, for example:

vlan id is to be "100"
vlan name is to be "old name"

Configuration would be

vlan 100
name old name

What I'd like to change is the name. Just want to verify that changing just the name and not the vlan id, would be safe to do during the day on a live production network. if not, I can always wait till a maintenance window. VLAN information is passed via the ID, in this case 100, correct? The name is just for administrative reference, I think.

Changing the name or description on a switchport or VLAN has no impact on the network.

what ^ said, as long as you don't change vlan numbers the names don't matter, you can change them at will. You can even have different vlan names on each switch ie. vlan 10 on switch A is "vlan A name" and vlan 10 on switch B is "Vlan B name" the switches don't care about the name only the number.

Gotcha.

So by that reasoning, VTP must not propagate VLAN names.

Thanks

So by that reasoning, VTP must not propagate VLAN names.
Sorry - missed this part of the question. Updating the VLAN information (including name) on the switch designated as VTP server should replicate the changes to its clients within the same VTP domain.

Any switch with VTP configured in transparent mode, within a different VTP domain or with the switch operating at default will not receive the new VLAN information and must be updated manually.

Edit: Probably more information than you wanted to know: http://www.firewall.cx/vlans-vtp.php

Back