Changed monitor, now blank login screen

ZoSo

Limp Gawd
Well my monitor went today so I'm using an old one I had lying around. So now when I boot to Linux(SuSE 9.1), when it gets to the login screen the monitor goes blank. I'm thinking it can't handle the settings of the other monitor(the one that went bad) that linux is configured with.
I've only been running Linux for about 3 weeks now, so I'm pretty much a noob at it
icon_redface.gif

How can I change the monitor settings, if that's the problem?
I tried failsafe mode and only get the command prompt, but I don't know enough of Linux yet to use the command line.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ZoSo

I don't know the particular configuration program that distro typically uses (there's always the backup xf86config -- or was it xf86conf -- program though I guess) but, probably you can get to the console by holding CTRL+ALT and hitting F1. At least, in most cases the X server is started on a different virtual console so that you can still get to the others. From there you will be able to configure stuff. You'll have to find out what the PROPER configuration utility for your distro is though if you want a good configurer (that old thing that comes with X is such a pain IMO.)

Thanks Nazo,
I tried that but I still only get a command line.

Right. At that command line, you should be able to manually run the configuration tool. Look in the FAQs for that distro to see if you can find more information on the best way to set up X. If all else fails, there was a program that comes with it by the name of xf86config if I remember correctly, which you should be able to run, but it's a bit troublesome sometimes.

OK, I got it.
I logged in as root, and launched yast2.

Thanks for your help :)

Back