Change the "Documents & Settings" Folder

The_Dark_Abyss

Limp Gawd
Hi. So I reinstalled Windows today and decided to do something different this time. I made two extra partitions in my hard drives so that I would have Windows on one partition and all my files on another partition.

In any case, is there a way to change the "Documents & Settings" folder from my system drive to another partition? I'm not talking about My Documents folder or the special folders that can be changed with Tweak UI but the actual "Documents & Settings" folder itself . . .

I'd recommend moving just the my documents, there really isn't much else in the profile worth saving in the case of recovery. In fact, the error causing you to reload may exist in the profile and you could bring it over to the new load. YMMV.

Phoenix86 said:
I'd recommend moving just the my documents, there really isn't much else in the profile worth saving in the case of recovery. In fact, the error causing you to reload may exist in the profile and you could bring it over to the new load. YMMV.
I would have to agree. It seems like moving that whole directory could cause some serious issues down the road. You can change the location of the "My Documents" folder to save your actual data, but not much else it worth saving. You could even make a simple batch file that backs up your Favorites list as well.

Back