Change line 2 to line 1

DRJ1014

Supreme [H]ardness
Currently I have 2 phone lines in my house. Main line that is active and a secondary line in my room that has been inactive for about 4 years. This Thursday I have AT&T coming out to install uverse and would really like to have the modem in my room.

My question - Is there anyway I can change line #2 over to the main line by myself?

At my old place my brother and I were able to do this but I didnt have much of a hand in it and asking my brother he cant remember exactly how we did it (We did this probably 12 years ago) but from what I can remember it was just changing a couple wires on the inactive phone jack.

Searching Google I have only been able to find people that say "Hire a professional"
Searching [H] I just get endless pages of threads that are 0 help. (If I have missed a thread about this I apologize in advance)

do you have access to the NID on the side of the house?
If so, it's as easy as moving the wire pair from the current (inactive) terminal to the active terminal.

as long as those wires aren't in the "TelCo side" of the box

Should be able to have AT&T guy pick the right pairs for that room.

From my limited, old experience with internal phone lines, each line is 2 wire pair. You might have 2 pairs, or 4 pairs depending on what kind of wire was installed in the walls, and you'll just have to find out what pair relates to your line1, and what pair is line2, and wire it up how you want. AT&T guy should have something that lets him clip on to the pair to check. One issue I remember is if the wire are leapfrogging, so instead of individual runs to each room, it goes one run to jack1, another run from jack1 to jack2, jack2 to jack3, etc. If you break the link at jack2, everything after that will not work.

It is kind of impossible to permanently break things playing around, but can be a headache if you lose track.

Also, since RJ11 is 4 pins, you might already have line1 on a pair, line2 on the other, and just have to flip them.

Im not sure if I have access to the NID, I would have to check when I get home. I dont think I have access to it, believe its out front of my house on the street :/ but when I get home I will certainly look for it

EDIT: Im currently on the phone with AT&T finalizing the sale, guess there was a mix up with my Uverse... but he says just to tell the tech when he gets out there what I want to do and he will take care of it at no charge... Ill believe that no charge when I see it

Last edited:
Back