Change IP with a cable modem?

xeon711

Limp Gawd
Is it possible for ME to change the IP on my cable modem. I have tried setting static IP on my router. I have tried resetting the cable modem. I have had the IP for atleast a year. My ISP says they are dynamic IPs so it should change sometime. But it has not. I have googled it and I cant find an answer. Anyone know? I am going to call ISP soon but maybe you guys know.

Thanks!

You might try changing the MAC address of your router, since DHCP ties IPs to MACs. Past that, though, you have no direct control over what the DHCP server does (and most of the time it will remember you in its cache and reassign the same address)

changing the routers mac adress is a very easy way to change the ip ive done it many times before in the past

Rakinos said:
changing the routers mac adress is a very easy way to change the ip ive done it many times before in the past

How do you go abouts changing the mac address? How can I make sure there is not another MAC address of the same? Thanks!

xeon711 said:
How do you go abouts changing the mac address? How can I make sure there is not another MAC address of the same? Thanks!
(1) Check the manual (or google it) -- particularly since we don't know what router you have.
(2) There are a lot more MACs than devices out there, and the odds are even better when you consider that MAC doesn't matter outside of the LAN (in this case, your ISP's clients). Just change the last 6-8 characters around. Remember to keep it in hex (0-9+A-F)

lomn75 said:
(1) Check the manual (or google it) -- particularly since we don't know what router you have.
(2) There are a lot more MACs than devices out there, and the odds are even better when you consider that MAC doesn't matter outside of the LAN (in this case, your ISP's clients). Just change the last 6-8 characters around. Remember to keep it in hex (0-9+A-F)

I have linksys BEFSR41. Let me know thanks! and maybe exampe last few charecters. Thanks so much!

xeon711 said:
I have linksys BEFSR41. Let me know thanks! and maybe exampe last few charecters. Thanks so much!
From the first screen, go to "MAC Address Clone". Enable that option and make up a combination of numbers and the letters A-F. Or just use all numbers if it's easier.

lomn75 said:
From the first screen, go to "MAC Address Clone". Enable that option and make up a combination of numbers and the letters A-F. Or just use all numbers if it's easier.

Thanks! I used some MAC addresses from an old router. Just random numbers and letters does not seem to work. Thanks so much! I am getting what I want!

AWESOME IT WORKED!!!

I got the IP I wanted!

It took me about an hour to get it. Chaning some numbers and letters! thanks soooo much you guys are the best!

Glad it worked. I'm sure someday soon the ISP's will go to DHCP reservations, and when that happens, if you change your MAC address, you won't get any address. ;)

why do people want to change their address when they are dynamic and its staying still :rolleyes:

p3n said:
why do people want to change their address when they are dynamic and its staying still :rolleyes:

For my counter strike servers. The lower the last number in the IP the faster the server shows up on the master list. My servers has been full ever since the IP change. Thanks again!

Back