[CES2015] ASUS MG279Q 2560 x 1440 Gamer 120Hz IPS 5ms GTG

Why won't they offer a full glossy version? They could market it as having twice the picture quality and contrast ratio over the matte one and the other 120hz 1440p IPS monitors, if there's any, and even increase the price.

More like twice the picture quality versus ANY LCD running above 60Hz stock. Every single glossy LCD is 60Hz at stock. There are currently no exceptions to that.

I never expect a lot with things that are free in general:D

freesync doesn't compare with gsync, glad that we can put that to rest.

It's up to the panel maker and the scaler they choose with freesync. Freesync supports a much wider range of refresh rates in its specs and doesn't add $200 to the cost of the monitor.

There really is no comparison.

It's up to the panel maker and the scaler they choose with freesync. Freesync supports a much wider range of refresh rates in its specs and doesn't add $200 to the cost of the monitor.

There really is no comparison.

I doubt it that the better scalar that will be able to push 30hz-144hz will cost the same as the garbage one we are seeing today.

I think its a lie, freesync monitors do cost more to make than without it, just not as much as gsync.

If this is true, Asus really misled us and dropped the ball. They came out and announced how the monitor was now 144hz certified, but if the Freesync range is way below that, who cares.

It might be a technical limitation to get overdrive working in freesync mode.

I feel like Asus misled us on this one. Now we have to choose between either maxing out refresh rate or turning on freesync. I guess you never can have your cake and eat it too..

Does anyone know of another 1440p ips @144hz and freesync coming out and when? Also, does anyone know the release date of the mg279q?

Does anyone know of another 1440p ips @144hz and freesync coming out and when? Also, does anyone know the release date of the mg279q?

My guess is BenQ is next and a early summer release for the mg279q.

My guess is BenQ is next and a early summer release for the mg279q.

I will never understand why these companies can't just talk honestly about when they are releasing their own damn product. If it is delayed say so, and preferably with a reason. What is the rationale for not letting people know? Do they think people will think the wait is too long and just settle for something else? Then stop being so slow with releases!

Monitor makers don't have to wait on new process tech or foundries to craft cutting edge gpu components. Is the panel ready? OK, is the circuit board ready? What is the bottleneck here?

Alternate Germany already shipped a couple of MG279Qs to customers but they have since removed it from their page, probably got their asses whooped for releasing too early. (they also shipped out some of the first XB270HU)
http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/monitore/387168-gerade-den-mg279q-bekommen-3.html
One user also posted a pic of black screen next to Swift, since its the same panel as the Acer it also appears to have the same problem with glow in the bottom right corner.

I will never understand why these companies can't just talk honestly about when they are releasing their own damn product. If it is delayed say so, and preferably with a reason. What is the rationale for not letting people know? Do they think people will think the wait is too long and just settle for something else? Then stop being so slow with releases!

Monitor makers don't have to wait on new process tech or foundries to craft cutting edge gpu components. Is the panel ready? OK, is the circuit board ready? What is the bottleneck here?

Ha I know, some of these companies really stagnate the industry and needs a kick in the butt. Hey at least we'll get 10 bit panels main stream by .......... 2017.

There are a dozen work streams that need to come together to release a product, some of which can change last minute e.g., components, distribution, pricing, marketing. Also, it reflects badly on a company (esp. for investors) if they miss target dates.

Additionally, more and more companies want to keep a lid on a specific release date to keep up buzz (case in point, us being here) and spur on preorders (when potential buyers might go with a competitor's product if they know how long they'll be waiting). I honestly don't think Asus is being obtuse on stating an actual release date (official date is this Friday, I am told, although no guarantee this means there will be product available then), but am betting they did keep mum on the 35-90hz limitation as long as they could.

Last edited:
all i can say is that 35-90hz is still better than nothing and can be very useful with a single high end GPU like 290/290x.

don't expect 144fps with a single GPU on 1440p with 2xAA in the latest game titles, unless you only play Counter Strike.

this monitor is sill a great buy despite freesync being limited to 90hz.

all i can say is that 35-90hz is still better than nothing and can be very useful with a single high end GPU like 290/290x.

don't expect 144fps with a single GPU on 1440p with 2xAA in the latest game titles, unless you only play Counter Strike.

this monitor is sill a great buy despite freesync being limited to 90hz.

This is precisely where I intend to be: a single 290x, then 390x at 1440p with high IQ, running between 35-90 FPS 95% of the time in modern games. I'm not playing CS at 200 FPS. This display is fine for me.

I debating on getting this now. With most of the reviews saying that the xl2730z and xg270hu having colors on par or close to IPS's, and freesynce that works at 144hz... My interest fades day by day. The only way I will buy one is if the price is right.

Official release here:

https://rog.asus.com/420062015/gami...d-ips-gaming-display-with-144hz-and-freesync/

Annoyingly, if the 35-90hz with Freesync is true, they are falsely stating it in the release statement:

To enjoy 144Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync Technology which eliminates screen tearing and motion blur for ultra-smooth gaming, you will need compatible video cards such as MATRIX-R9290X-4GD5, R9290X-DC2-4GD5 and STRIX-R9285-DC2OC-2GD5.

144Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync technology for seamless visuals and smooth gameplay

144Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync Technology in no uncertain terms means together, otherwise it should be "or". Not splitting hairs or semantics here, the difference between those two conjunctions is clear last I checked.

In any case, my order has moved to "in warehouse queue" so expect they'll be shipping in mass shortly.

Last edited:
Where did you order from?

Overclockers UK. They normally get stuff first over here.

Early reports from the few that got theirs today says the image quality is (expectedly) worlds better than the ROG Swift, but glow is noticeable.

Last edited:
A nice cheaper alternative to Predator for those who doesn't want to be vendor locked then

Official release here:

https://rog.asus.com/420062015/gami...d-ips-gaming-display-with-144hz-and-freesync/

Annoyingly, if the 35-90hz with Freesync is true, they are falsely stating it in the release statement:

To enjoy 144Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync Technology which eliminates screen tearing and motion blur for ultra-smooth gaming, you will need compatible video cards such as MATRIX-R9290X-4GD5, R9290X-DC2-4GD5 and STRIX-R9285-DC2OC-2GD5.

144Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync technology for seamless visuals and smooth gameplay

144Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync Technology in no uncertain terms means together, otherwise it should be "or". Not splitting hairs or semantics here, the difference between those two conjunctions is clear last I checked.

In any case, my order has moved to "in warehouse queue" so expect they'll be shipping in mass shortly.

Would be even worse if they did not say in specs it was 35-90hz only.

Last edited:
It's being recalled, firmware bug @ 144hz it skips every sixth frame. Confirmed by Asus

https://translate.google.se/transla...ckt-i-sweclockers-testlabb&edit-text=&act=url

TLDR needs to be sent back to the factory for a firmware update.

This is why I wait for reviews.... If they don't fix this I will not be buying this screen.

At 120hz what would be the intervals of standard Vsync with no triple buffer? Would it be 30 > 60 > 120? ... I think that is what it would be.... In which case this screen at 120hz would offer no benefit when used at normal v sync eg. if you have nvidia card.

Unless it can run at 60fps synced while still running at 120hz which I don't think is possible.

Really, really badly timed by Asus. They issued the press release this morning, then issue a recall several hours later?

Really, really badly timed by Asus. They issued the press release this morning, then issue a recall several hours later?

Isn't that an old statement? it's been available here in Sweden for 2 weeks now.

Thanks to a so far unique combination of fast-IPS panel with support for AMD Freesync the Asus MG279Q one of spring's most talked about gaming screens. Now discovered that the model is not only limited by an unexpectedly narrow Freesync interval but also can not handle the specified refresh rate of 144 Hz.

After SweClockers discovered Asus decides to withdraw all MG279Q from the sales channel. According to Asus Nordics marketing director Marcus Hultin, all dissatisfied customers as of early next week to complain about the screen by contacting the Asus warranty service .

At the same time confirmed the failure of the Asus engineers, who announces that the problem should be corrected in a new version of firmware. Since the software can not be updated without specialized equipment, however all screens first returned to the factory. Deliveries are expected to start again in three to four weeks.

I did not feel to translate myself so I used google translate.

The <1 frame delay @60hz is odd, but not off putting since I wasn't going to buy one anyway. I hope this is consistent colour preset wise unlike the PG278Q which can come with pathetically low preset gamma (1.7-1.9).

I like this monitor, I am no longer a fast paced gamer :) And while I was worried about the 90hz upper freesync limit the review has reassured me a little. It just means I just have to keep turning up settings until I fall into that range :)

Going to give this monitor a chance, 144hz IPS is worth the money even without freesync.

what's the point of it being 144hz if the freesync limit is 90hz ?

I'd have to limit the fps to 90, might as well be a 90hz monitor and drop the price.. and if it's the same panel as the acer one why is there a limit in the first place ?

I'd have to limit the fps to 90, might as well be a 90hz monitor and drop the price.. and if it's the same panel as the acer one why is there a limit in the first place ?

I agree, you have to pretty dumb to purchase this Asus if you going to use Freesync.

Only BenQ has a true 144hz Freesync monitor right now, it also does ULMB at 144hz, but its a TN panel.

I'm kinda stumped about this myself, as I recall AMD made the claim that Freesync range is dependent on the panel's capability of variable refresh. Now here's this thing: TFTCentral pointed out that the panel in this Asus is the exact same one found in the Acer XB270HU, and that monitor is capable of variable refresh rates all the way up to 144Hz so the issue of the Asus not being able to do 144Hz freesync clearly has nothing to do with the inability of the panel to do so itself. It looks like Freesync, at the moment, is simply not capable of variable refresh rates up to 144Hz on IPS panels?? There are currently no other Freesync 144Hz IPS monitors out there atm so it's hard to say but I'm pretty glad I decided to stick with NVidia this time around and get a G Sync monitor.

The Free Sync hz cap is likely the fault of Asus, not the tech, which should be obvious given the price cut vs. their TN and the Acer.

Could just be Asus. I'm only pointing out the possibility of freesync itself lacking the ability because neither BenQ, Acer, or Asus has managed to get the minimum refresh rate for freesync below 40Hz.

Could just be Asus. I'm only pointing out the possibility of freesync itself lacking the ability because neither BenQ, Acer, or Asus has managed to get the minimum refresh rate for freesync below 40Hz.

The minimum refresh rate of this is 35Hz and I recall reading by an ASUS rep somewhere that lowering from 40Hz to 35Hz was actually the reason for the 90Hz cap. Could be rubbish though.

Back