CES: New Atom and Core M Compute Sticks

pxc

Extremely [H]
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...-m-compute-sticks-get-faster-and-look-better/

The new Atom model is based on Airmont/Cherry Trail (x5-Z8300, 4c/4t, 2W) and has better WiFi than the first model and adds a USB 3.0 port. $159

The other two use Core m3-6Y30 or Core m5-6Y57 processors, but are priced pretty high IMO ($300 for the m3 and $499 for the m5, both without OS). Charging close to full tablet/notebook prices for those, especially the m5*, is stupid.

* An Asus T300 Chi Core M convertible tablet with 12.5" 1080p display and real SSD is around $400 at many decent B&M or online stores, for example. There's no reason a stripped down compute stick in a small case should cost more than that.

An Asus T300 Chi Core M convertible tablet with 12.5" 1080p display and real SSD is around $400 at many decent B&M or online stores, for example. There's no reason a stripped down compute stick in a small case should cost more than that.

Nope, that's the Atom version you're thinking of:

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details...cm70hZOl1jVSCboKMEiIcNVdby1TgWEUGcaAi6y8P8HAQ

The Core m version starts at $500, but to get it that low they hav e to use a 64GB SSD cache plus a hard drive.

http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=90NB0531M01050&vid=46&src=F

So no, they're not selling Core m for peanuts.

I'd expect them to price the Atom higher than the old baytrail model, and as far as Core m goes, the sky's the limit.

At least the new 14nm Atom has the possibility of not needing the fan, but somehow I doubt it. The Core m is going to be loud as hell though!

Nope, that's the Atom version you're thinking of:
No, I think I mixed up some refurb/open box T300 Chi models with the T300 Chi prices I was looking at.

The cheapest (new) Core M based T300 Chi I saw was sub-$450 on sale, but even at $500 the point still stands since the Core M m5 Compute Stick lacks an OS/LCD/battery/fast storage/etc that a similarly priced tablet includes. IOW, the Core M m5 Compute Stick is unnecessarily overpriced.

No, I think I mixed up some refurb/open box T300 Chi models with the T300 Chi prices I was looking at.

The cheapest (new) Core M based T300 Chi I saw was sub-$450 on sale, but even at $500 the point still stands since the Core M m5 Compute Stick lacks an OS/LCD/battery/fast storage/etc that a similarly priced tablet includes. IOW, the Core M m5 Compute Stick is unnecessarily overpriced.

They already charge outrageous prices for the Core i5 and i7 NUC too. I guess I'm just used to them overpricing the top parts.

Intel is going full-retard with the prices lately. They don't seem to be capable of grasping the current economic situation facing the world. Maybe they need to get their old CEO back.

I know all about halo products and pricing for enthusiasts, etc... but nobody is going to pay $500 for a damn compute stick gimmick, a market that could easily be filled by a $35 ARM SoC.

And $1500 for Broadwell-E.

these guys

Because amd has basically nothing and Intel knows this. They can do whatever they want now.

Welcome back to the Pentium 2/Pentium 3 days...

AMD's currently running the K6-2 in their lineup, now they just need another Athlon moment

Intel is going full-retard with the prices lately. They don't seem to be capable of grasping the current economic situation facing the world. Maybe they need to get their old CEO back.

I know all about halo products and pricing for enthusiasts, etc... but nobody is going to pay $500 for a damn compute stick gimmick, a market that could easily be filled by a $35 ARM SoC.

And $1500 for Broadwell-E.

these guys

Because amd has basically nothing and Intel knows this. They can do whatever they want now.

They can try doing whatever they want but if they think they can simply put a product on the shelf with any price they want and people will be obliged to buy it, they're delusional.

Who the hell is going to pay $500 for a USB computer stick?

They seriously think they have the best graphics in the world.

If it wasn't for the fan noise, I'd be looking at one of these to replace my Fire Stick ASAP. Way more functional.

I'll probably bite when a future rendition comes with at least 4GB RAM and128GB eMMC, plus Win10 Pro x64 is avail in the sub-$350 price range. So, probably never. :)

Back