Centrino

2phastPRO

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to know what do you guys think about the centrino laptops. Thinking about getting one. I was going to replace my desktop with a powerhouse of a laptop but then I figured I can keep my desktop (cause i'd miss it too much) and get something cheaper..like a centrino pc. The sentias from alienware are nice. They just recieved a price cut too. What about gaming? Has anyone gamed on a centrino? The only thing I didnt like about them were the integrated graphics intel chips. I dont know how those perform. Would that card be "decent" enough to run DOOM3 or Halflife 2?

I don't think that the integrated graphics could run doom3 or hl2, maybe at the lowest settings, but don't count on it.

What I want to know, though, is what the cheapest centrino notebook is, and how much prices are bound to drop by the time summer comes around.

Just because it's a Centrino, doesn't mean it's going to have inegrated graphics. I have a 1.6 Pentium M (Centrino) and I have a GeForce Ti4200Go video card in mine.

Centrino is the combination of processor, chipset, and intel wifi. What you're actually asking about is the Pentium M processor. The Pentium M is a great processor. Fast, low power consumption.

So what you're saying is the centrino is just a notebook with an "all in wonder chip"? It just has a wireless 802b/g card built in? If thats the case, cant I just go by a powerhouse notebook and grab a wireless pcmia card?

I see my mistake. I wanted to ask about the Intel Extreme Graphics 2. Hows that do in gaming? I may get a better answer over at the video card forum I think.

a lappie can be a centrino with either the 855gm (integrated IIE2) or 855pm (which is for having a discrete video card) mobo's

The Intel Extreme Graphics 2 won't keep up with the likes of HalfLife 2 or Doom3 at all.

IEG2 will barely run will barely run HalfLife at acceptible framerates (where acceptible is >40pfs).

IEG2 was never meant to be a gaming video chipset. It was meant to be a good 2d video with very low power consumption.

the Dell Inspiron 600m I have (1.7ghz, 768MB ram, ATI Radeon 9000 64MB, 40GB 5400rpm) will play most of the current games at acceptible framerates....BF1942 (Desert Combat), Halo, Earth and Beyond, Tribes 2, Call of Duty, WarCraft 3, etc.

those centerio's are pretty damn good. but get a amd althon, if u get a compaq presario 2500 model it comes with a althon and a nice 32 or 64mb video card.

Originally posted by 2phastPRO
Just wanted to know what do you guys think about the centrino laptops. Thinking about getting one. I was going to replace my desktop with a powerhouse of a laptop but then I figured I can keep my desktop (cause i'd miss it too much) and get something cheaper..like a centrino pc. The sentias from alienware are nice. They just recieved a price cut too. What about gaming? Has anyone gamed on a centrino? The only thing I didnt like about them were the integrated graphics intel chips. I dont know how those perform. Would that card be "decent" enough to run DOOM3 or Halflife 2?

ROFL LOLOLOLOL hahahaha yeah fucking right. Like you're going to be able to play games that AREN'T EVEN OUT YET on laptops that are designed for battery conservation and mobility. Holy shit man - use some common sense. I essentially have a centrino laptop (I have a better wifi card than the intel pc2100 - that's the only difference) and my lappy can easily handle bf1942, dc, cs, and dod - but there is no way in hell it will be able to play either of those games.

Well centrino notebooks have a great battery life, so they are made for mobility.
Yes you can game on a Pentium M.
If you are looking for a notebook with a centrino package and not have integrated video then check out the Dell Inspiron 8600. From what I hear is is a pretty good gaming machine.
Ummmm I do not think that crappy integrated graphic cards are going to be able to play the 2 most graphically intensive games ever seen.

I don't think he'll be unable to play D3 and HL2, but I don't think it will be pretty.
Geforce 2 is suppose to be the low end, word was both would be "playable" on a TNT2.

Like you're going to be able to play games that AREN'T EVEN OUT YET on laptops that are designed for battery conservation and mobility. Holy shit man - use some common sense.

Uh...smartass, see topic..."CENTRINO" I dont know shit about it nor its parts. I didnt know what the hell IEG2 is up until now. I thought I was using "common sense" by asking about it. Find some place else to look like a jerk please. (Though I may be looking like one in retorting to your comment) And who the hell says the Centrino wont be able to run DOOM3 or HL2? You? From what i've garnered the new 9600/9700 mobility cards have enough juice to run them. Forgive me for saying but from the looks of that post I seriously doubt you're the man to go to on that question.

first of all centrinos have a 1 mb l2 cache which makes them MAD nice for the gaming.

centrino = p-m + intel 2100 wlan.

the only problem will be the graphics card. and i fully expect and 9600 turbo or a m11 to play doom III and hl2 just not with all the eye candy on and AA and AF.

i mean my old 1 ghz laptop with a m9000 could play the doom III alpha test at 30 FPS.

im waiting for dell to have the m11 availble so i can upgrade and get rid of this crappy albeit free 4200.

so please don't give me this bullshit about boo the centrino can't compare to normal p4 mobile chips.

another option for you is the amd64 chips they also have a 1 mb l2 cache.

people who do not have centrinos shouild be banned from this thread.

Originally posted by PYROTAK
i mean my old 1 ghz laptop with a m9000 could play the doom III alpha test at 30 FPS.

you mean staring into a wall with bumpmapping disabled, and realtime shaddows disabled. And by 30 fps, you mean 3.

Uh...smartass, see topic..."CENTRINO" I dont know shit about it nor its parts. I didnt know what the hell IEG2 is up until now. I thought I was using "common sense" by asking about it. Find some place else to look like a jerk please. (Though I may be looking like one in retorting to your comment) And who the hell says the Centrino wont be able to run DOOM3 or HL2? You? From what i've garnered the new 9600/9700 mobility cards have enough juice to run them. Forgive me for saying but from the looks of that post I seriously doubt you're the man to go to on that question.

Geeze I don't like that hostility... Next time do a little research before posting... All I've got to say is that I haven't resorted to name calling - something that you can't say for yourself. Nor did I ever resort to personal attacks. What gives you the impression that I don't know anything about this? The fact that you have to ask about such a basic thing really doesn't qualify you to be the judge on this...

I got mine for just over 1k. I can run morrowind ok on it. NWN works ok too. No doom III or anything like that, but grat thin lappys for work and a little play.

Originally posted by t10
you mean staring into a wall with bumpmapping disabled, and realtime shaddows disabled. And by 30 fps, you mean 3.

stfu noob.

i never said there were any monsters on the screen.

once i shoot my gun is 3 :D

and then when i shoot my guns with monsters its 0

but just walking around i got 30.

Back