CellFactor Game Trailer featuring Ageia Physx

barcop

n00b
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=9867&pl=game&type=mov

My friend linked this to me, he trolls these boards, but I didn't see it here so I figured I'd post it.

This game was apperantly shown off at the GDC, and it's a great example of what a PPU can do. It looks like some kind of multiplayer futuristic game with magnetic powers and lots of guns. You'll notice right from the begining how much phyisical object interaction there is.

The problem behind publishing this game (there is no publisher yet) is that the bandwidth required to send all of the data with all of the physical object interactions is too great for common household internet speeds. So this game would have to strictly be a LAN game.

I've heard of software being ahead of hardware, and hardware being ahead of software, but games being developed that use too much bandwidth to play online? Yikes....

barcop said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=9867&pl=game&type=mov

My friend linked this to me, he trolls these boards, but I didn't see it here so I figured I'd post it.

This game was apperantly shown off at the GDC, and it's a great example of what a PPU can do. It looks like some kind of multiplayer futuristic game with magnetic powers and lots of guns. You'll notice right from the begining how much phyisical object interaction there is.

The problem behind publishing this game (there is no publisher yet) is that the bandwidth required to send all of the data with all of the physical object interactions is too great for common household internet speeds. So this game would have to strictly be a LAN game.

I've heard of software being ahead of hardware, and hardware being ahead of software, but games being developed that use too much bandwidth to play online? Yikes....

Infact this news is so "old" that there is a link to a review that have that and others video's included in the oldest post in the PPU forum:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1034265

This is also the most linked video in the PPU forum, so your "search" for it can't have been very hard...

Terra...

I've seen this, and it definitely is pretty cool. I'm grabbing the other one you posted low roller. good stuff.

Brent_Justice said:
After watching this Bink video of the game I want a PhysX card and CellFactor looks fun :D

The blood surface tension is a bit much though, huge droplets. But if they cant get it to work online, what good is the game?

Lord of Shadows said:
The blood surface tension is a bit much though, huge droplets. But if they cant get it to work online, what good is the game?

There are lots of fun single player games.

Darakian said:
Why is it an exe? :confused:

Because it's Bink video, good quality ;)

Terra - It's quite safe...and very good video of game-play physics...not just eye-candy ;)

yeah, that's just how they package their videos. I remember grabbing some of the ones of HL2 before that shipped. Good stuff.

That is a pretty display of Physx, but the game play seems very unoriginal. It really looks like they are sensationalizing. I wouldn't buy that game, but I would buy the Ageia and wait for a better one.

Agreed. You also have to remember that you cannot play this game online either. Looks like a neat tech demo though. I was kind of surprised it's an actual game.

I would really love to see Physx used outside of FPS games. PC gaming really needs some new innovation badly. There is undoubted potential with PhysX, so hopefully it won't be used for just a couple of graphics pretty but lackluster FPS games a year. I would really love to see space combat sims, racing games, platforming type games, GTA type games etc take advantage of these PPU's.

peacetilence said:
Agreed. You also have to remember that you cannot play this game online either. Looks like a neat tech demo though. I was kind of surprised it's an actual game.

I would really love to see Physx used outside of FPS games. PC gaming really needs some new innovation badly. There is undoubted potential with PhysX, so hopefully it won't be used for just a couple of graphics pretty but lackluster FPS games a year. I would really love to see space combat sims, racing games, platforming type games, GTA type games etc take advantage of these PPU's.

Why can’t you play this game multiplayer? Did they say it was single player only?

GabooN said:
Why can’t you play this game multiplayer? Did they say it was single player only?
No, there will be a single player part, but it has not yet been shown. At GDC they had an 8 player dm LAN game up and running for people to play. FiringSquad was told the map being played at GDC(the one in the vids) was LAN-only because of bandwidth issues.

It will have multiplayer, but the amount of data that it has to send back and forth means that it will pretty much be LAN only.

Still, I would like to know exactly how much bandwidth it needs. Internet connections only keep getting faster so maybe in a few years it will be possible. Maybe it’s already possible on some of today’s fastest connections?

Bandwidth limitations?! HA! I got 20Mbps/20Mbps FTTH (fiber to the home) ! I'll buy it!

I bet you like pro level dsl/cable could handle it...Like cable that is 4Mbps+ non of that wimpy 1.5Mbps dsl/cable that came out in 1997! :p

Problem is with having a good server on a fat pipe more so than the client connections, although I think ping times go up with packet size, no?

I used to run a server on The Planet, Dual Xeons 2 gigs of ram and the game that used the most bandwidth by FAR was CoD:UO. If I remember correctly our 24-32 man server would use 4.5 - 5.5MBPS of upload and each client might use 10-20KBps. While I am sure this game might use more I would imagine there concern is not with the average user’s connection but the servers. I haven’t played a game were I am sending more then 20KBps in either direction, which is nothing for the average broadband connection.

Damn looks bad ass i wonder what all games will use this system. I hope some sports games use it.

Call me crazy, but throw skiing, some armor classes, and spinfusor in there and this could be a (significantly) evolved Tribes. Oh Tribes, how I love thee... off to play some more.

EDIT: Oh my, imagine TR2 on that game!

Computer Games Online put up an interview with CellFactor dev Artificial Studios. Here's a couple interesting points.
The entire development cycle for the CellFactor: Combat Training demo took 2 months, from mid-January to mid-March.
They just threw the thing together to show off PhysX at GDC. I imagine will see some more fleshed out implementations of PhysX once a few devs get a chance to build a game from the ground up to use a PPU.

Artificial Studios also confirmed the CellFactor demo at GDC was LAN-only.
Still, the amount of data transfer and reliance on low-latency is such that currently the game only supports LAN play.

Back