CD-ROM Trouble.

Jitsu

Limp Gawd
I just built this new computer and everything works perfect except for one major thing...

I cannot play games that require the CD to be in the CD-ROM drive to play.... (IE: Ravenshield & Battle Field 1942)

I'm going to give you as much info as I can...

- These are original cd's that worked perfect on my old system.
- I'm using my old cd drive that worked perfect previsouly... and I just purchased a new dvd-rw drive that works perfect also.
- I only have IDE cables and Power cables going to one CD drive. (Not enough power outlets to go around...)
- I installed and re-installed each game 3x.
- I do not have any cd-emulation software installed... (It was never installed on this HD or my slave HD.)
- I am running windows XP Pro.
- I have two harddrives hooked up.
- The CD drive can read info.. I installed the games off of these drives.
- When I put the CD in the autorun works but when I select "Play game" it then runs its check to see if the correct CD is in the drive and it thinks it's not and asks me to insert it"

Many people on various forums are stumped... I'm hoping one of you will help me find the answer to my problems.

Originally posted by Jitsu
I just built this new computer and everything works perfect except for one major thing...

I cannot play games that require the CD to be in the CD-ROM drive to play.... (IE: Ravenshield & Battle Field 1942)

I'm going to give you as much info as I can...

- These are original cd's that worked perfect on my old system.
- I'm using my old cd drive that worked perfect previsouly... and I just purchased a new dvd-rw drive that works perfect also.
- I only have IDE cables and Power cables going to one CD drive. (Not enough power outlets to go around...)
- I installed and re-installed each game 3x.
- I do not have any cd-emulation software installed... (It was never installed on this HD or my slave HD.)
- I am running windows XP Pro.
- I have two harddrives hooked up.
- The CD drive can read info.. I installed the games off of these drives.
- When I put the CD in the autorun works but when I select "Play game" it then runs its check to see if the correct CD is in the drive and it thinks it's not and asks me to insert it"

Many people on various forums are stumped... I'm hoping one of you will help me find the answer to my problems.

I'm really sorry... I've had the exact same problem before. Reinstalling windows helped me, as did a repair on another occasion. Other than that, I don't think it is possible to do anything about it. Try swaping out another drive, or removing the drive, booting to windows, shutting down again, reinstalling the drive, then trying to play the games again.

There might be something wrong with your BIOS settings, as well. I had a computer that wouldn't boot to windows cd for some strange reason until I screwed around with the BIOS. Also, try copying the game CD's contents to your D: partition. Oh, one last thought... Reassign your CD ROM to a different drive lette, then back to it's normal drive letter. That might help as well. :)

If these fixes have been suggested already, sorry. :p This is the only forum I go to, and I'm not a mind reader. :p

Could be cd protection gone wrong. Some CD protection schemes fail to work on some drives. Maybe your DVD-RW has trouble with it.

windows re-install didnt help.

I now know that any program taht needs to access the cd-rom drive either asks me to insert the correct cd or says the device cannot be found.

in device manager it says it is found, and working correctly.

The drive does everything but the above correctly.

Originally posted by Jitsu
windows re-install didnt help.

I now know that any program taht needs to access the cd-rom drive either asks me to insert the correct cd or says the device cannot be found.

in device manager it says it is found, and working correctly.

The drive does everything but the above correctly.

I got your PM. Unfortunatly, I cannot login to AIM or MSN right now. D: Can you post some information about your hard drives, start with Primary Master and work to secondary slave. Then, can you post your Partition information? Just which drives each partition is on and what capacity. Then I can think this through while I sleep tonight and get back to you tomorrow when I can log on AIM or MSN. :)

my MSN is [email protected] and my AIM contact is MegaBasses. :)

Drives:
CD-RW Drive... NEC NR-7900A
DVD-RW Drive...TDK 840G
Both of these do everything else perfect but read game cd's that are in their drives when the game checks to see if the cd is in the drive.

I have two HD's hooked up on the primary IDE cable slot on my mobo. The slave drive is my old HD from my old system, it still has Windows XP and everything installed on it. The main HD was freshly formatted.

Connection:
On IDE port two, master side of cable. Nothing else on this cable. I have two CD drives but only the NEC has power/IDE cable's to it. Jumper Pin = Master Setting.

Software Sh1t:
In device manager the drive is detected and it is said to be working correctly.
I can read whatever is on the disk's thru my computer.
When I insert a CD the autorun always makes the CD start up.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-7n400 PRO2
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

Reinstalled the games numerous times and did a HD format and windows re-install last night to no avail.

Sorry I haven't been around. I went skiing and got sick. Also, you wouldn't anser IMs on Thrusday. Next time I see you log in I'll send you a message.

Back