CC ripped from scanner as case light

turdferguson79

Limp Gawd
My neighbour gave me an old Mustek scanner about a year ago and it broke down last week. I took it apart to take a look at the insides, and I was thinking that maybe I could use the cathode as a case light. Is this do-able/complicated/impossible?

well, I doubt that it is impossible.. but I think it would be a kinda boring case light... white light inside your case you might as well fix a lightbulb fixture in there...

Well, a lightbulb (if you're talking about a typical incandescent bulb) would heat the case up considerably. I was thinking the white CC would be handy as a work light, as my case is under my desk and its usually hard to get good light on it while I'm working on it.

Yes it works very well. I have 2 reworked ones in my case. Most of those use a power supply module that is separate from the rest of the control electronics, and runs on 12v.

It's just a matter of finding out what is power and ground and hooking it to a molex and switch. The tube can usually be put in a clear venitian blind rod, and colored with the see through colored straws, slit and put over the rod.

My 2 came from broken Visioneer Flatbeds.

I have a some I shot while I was working on the 2 and with em running on a PS. I run mine white so I dont have anything with the straws.

Let me find the pics and i'll post em..

Here are some,

The unit and PS
hf1.jpg

The unit running on a bench supply
hf2.jpg

another unit pic
hf3.jpg

Both finished units
hf4.jpg

My case top shot
hf5.jpg

My case bottom shot
hf6.jpg

Full side shot
hf7.jpg

They are only used occasionally.

I like white light inside the case. Difference between white light and yellow light

I totally agree.. I'm tired of the typical blue or red case lighting

The straw thing would let me have virtually any light color (as I have white to start with) or combination of colors (red, wht, blue for instance) just by adjusting the length of the piece I put over the tube casing.

It has it's advantages over single colored tubes.

wow, that white light looks really nice. thanks for the pics. this makes me want to rip my scanner appart

I agree, the white lighting gives a nice clean touch. It would be really cool to see one of those mounted inside a reservior.

For some reason - after looking at my scanner a few times in the past - I'd have thought those things would be a lot brighter. I kind of like the look of the white, but personally, I guess I prefer a little color. It's kind of like water..... it's a little plain for me - I need some "flavor"

you know, i've got an hp scanner lying arround that has never really worked right...maybee now i can finish my aol cd lamp.

I wish I could get my hands on some of the green ccfl's some of the new b&w copiers are running. I haven't seen any ccfl's close the the color. I think that would look awsome.

Hell, that'd make a handy bench light.

Xerox is all I've ever seen use the Green Cold Cathode in a copier. Looks pretty cool too. Doubtful you'd find a unit that was dead already, those machines are BUILT.

Originally posted by Mr_Evil
Hell, that'd make a handy bench light.

Yep, a box to house the ps for the tube , mount the tube in the end of the box, and a wall wart for a power source and off ya go.

My mustek scanner uses a green light, maybe I'll rip it out since glass for it is cracked...

FWIW, the CCFL I pulled out of a scanner a couple of month ago and subsequently put my knee through :mad:, worked fine powered off a Sunbeam 4" inverter. I would have used the one from the scanner, but I hooked it up backwards :mad:. The whole project was bad luck, but it was cool while it lasted.

Back