Catalyst 13.3 Beta 2

Blacklash

[H]ard|Gawd
Feature Highlights of Catalyst 13.3 Beta 2:

Improves performance in Far Cry 3 up to 5 percent
Improve performance in Sim City 4 up to 16 percent
Improves latency performance issues seen in Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution
Resolves slight corruption seen in Tomb Raider with TressFX enabled for CrossFire and single GPU configurations

The above notes about them were on OCN.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_3_beta_download.html

Credit to asder00 as usual.

Last edited:
Ooooooooooh.

Great timing, was looking at getting Tomb Raider very shortly. :)

Last edited:
Not really to me. I loved 13.2 Beta 6. I haven't had to time to really test this one well yet.

its a beta. is it really relevent that its not official?

Beta7 actually runs on my computer....and runs well.

The "WHQL" 13.1 driver bricks my OS on install, no matter what measures I take.

^^ Ya' and the official 13.1s didn't render the Fire Strike bench correctly so it would flag your result as invalid or problematic.

I never tried the Beta 7. I've just been on 13.2 Beta 6 here, until now.

Skyrim was extremely smooth with 13.2 Beta 6. I haven't played it with this one yet.

Last edited:
Beta7 actually runs on my computer....and runs well.

The "WHQL" 13.1 driver bricks my OS on install, no matter what measures I take.

Wonder if that was why mine died after trying to upgrade from 13.1 to 13.2 beta. 13.1 was glitchy for me and was hoping 13.2 would fix it. 13.2 never successfully installed and afterward no matter what I couldn't get a driver to install correctly until I reinstalled my OS.

So the TR improvements are just for latency? No performance increases?

maybe this helps out my skyrim and hitman issues i have been seeing.

I'll take latency improvements any day.

I'm not familiar with latency issues, could you explain what the improvement does? I notice microstutter on my crossfire setup what does latency feel like? Triple buffering type mouse movement or...?

I'm not familiar with latency issues, could you explain what the improvement does? I notice microstutter on my crossfire setup what does latency feel like? Triple buffering type mouse movement or...?

basically, latency=microstutter

So anything special I gotta do to update my driver? Or just run the installer?

You got it. No special action required. Some people will say "zomg no run a driver cleaner and install fresh", but I say installing over current is fine.

You got it. No special action required. Some people will say "zomg no run a driver cleaner and install fresh", but I say installing over current is fine.

Thats what I though. I did that on my GTX 570 and never had a issue. Just wanted to make sure it was the same deal over here on the green side.

Quick Tomb Raider comparison:

13.2 Beta 7:

1920x1200 ultimate settings (TressFX Enabled)

min fps: 4.0
max fps: 110.0
avg fps: 92.6

13.3 Beta 2:

1920x1200 ultimate settings (TressFX Enabled)

min fps: 75.5
max fps: 108.7
avg fps: 91.0

13.2 beta 7

3800x1920 ultimate settings (tress FX enabled)

min fps: 4.3
max fps: 44.7
avg fps: 36.9

13.3 Beta 2:

3800x1920 ultimate settings (tress FX enabled)

min fps: 28
max fps: 45.3
avg fps 37.6

Here's a little Tomb Raider comparison of my own. All settings max besides DoF @ 1080p on my 7950 which is OCed to 1150/1675.

13.2 Beta 7
Minimum 46.6 - Maximum 83.3 - Average - 64.1

13.3 Beta 2
Minimum 44.7 - Maximum 80.6 - Average - 61.2

All numbers are an average of 3 benchmark numbers. So looks like you loose 3 FPS with the new drivers. Now with that said it looks me that the TressFX effect looks better with the new drivers. Also I may be off on this but the tessellation looks better as well. Gonna grab pics and see if its just my mind playing tricks on me.

these drivers do not like far cry 3. crash after 5-10 minutes. also opengl is completely broken in these.

Does anyone else have an issue on the latest beta drivers where watching youtube will peg your GPU to 99% load and stutter quite a bit?

This is on an HD6950 2GB

Does anyone else have an issue on the latest beta drivers where watching youtube will peg your GPU to 99% load and stutter quite a bit?

This is on an HD6950 2GB

I haven't ran into this issue, have you tried reinstalling the driver? Also, try disabling hardware acceleration in flash.

I'm experiencing a lot of new crash behavior in DayZ/ArmA2 with this beta that I hadn't had with any of the 13.2 betas. Anyone else seeing this or is it my system?

I still can't use Dxtory on GW2.... MSI afterburner doesnt work either... only fraps, and it cuts my fps down to 20... BOO

Uninstalled 13.2b7, installed 13.3b2, all 3D apps stopped working. Ran full uninstall and tried again with the same results. Reinstalled 13.2b7 and everything works again as expected. Didn't use the AMD cleaner as from last I heard it jacked up Windows 8 power settings permanently. This is on a quadfire stack of 7970s.

Odd. I tried Skyrim with vsync forced off and my FPS capped to 99 with AB yet physics didn't go crazy indoors. The game seems to be behaving.

Maybe I didn't cap FPS when I tried it with vsync off before.

This is on an HD6950 2GB

I had this happen with my second card while playing a game, though I may have had youtube open in the background. Logged out and back in so I'm not sure what the issue was.

Back