Cases with handle(s) -- suggestions needed.

Geolith

Limp Gawd
A couple of years ago I was looking for a decent replacement for my old no-brand case, which has a nice handle. I'm really used to it, it's very convenient (I often take the case outside to blow some dust off of its entrails).

I didn't like the choices back than, so I decided to postpone. Currently I'm thinking of buying Corsair Graphite 600TM, I really like this case, but I haven't completely given up my handle case dream, just yet. So maybe there are some new, better options presently?

I really like Cosmos II, it's a perfect gaming case, IMHO, but the damn thing simply won't fit into my desk -- I have a separate compartment for case, which can accommodate cases like Thermaltake V5 (one of my possible candidates back then) easily, but not monsters like Cosmos II.

So, any suggestions?

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was looking for a decent replacement for my old no-brand case, which has a nice handle. I'm really used to it, it's very convenient (I often take the case outside to blow some dust off of its entrails).

I didn't like the choices back than, so I decided to postpone. Currently I'm thinking of buying Corsair Graphite 600TM, I really like this case, but I haven't completely given up my handle case dream, just yet. So maybe there are some new, better options presently?

I really like Cosmos II, it's a perfect gaming case, IMHO, but the damn thing simply won't fit into my desk -- I have a separate compartment for case, which can accommodate cases like Thermaltake V5 (one of my possible candidates back then) easily, but not monsters like Cosmos II.

So, any suggestions?

What comes to mind is the Storm Scout, Corsair C70, and Bitfenix Survivor.

Wow, that new Corsair case looks just like the thing I need. Thanks, people!

Mountain Mods H2gO...tho for the coin ya probably wouldn't want it hidden, and width ,right be a problem since the motherboard I/O is on the side.

OK, Corsair Vengeance C70 is out of option due to the unavailability in my region. Besides, I don't really like the handles on that one. Generally, I'm not a big fan of cases looking like military-grade battery units, and this one looks exactly like that.

So it seems the list has been pretty much narrowed down to Storm Scout, but I have some reservations. I'm not sure the handles make enough reason for choosing it over Corsair Graphite 600TM.

The 600T is a pretty cool case. I used to have one. No handle, but plenty of cable management and room for water cooling if you go that route. And it's on sale right now :)
$20 off w/ promo code EMCNEJE57, ends 5/21

The 600T is a pretty cool case. I used to have one. No handle, but plenty of cable management and room for water cooling if you go that route. And it's on sale right now :)
$20 off w/ promo code EMCNEJE57, ends 5/21

Thanks for the info. But I prefer 600TM, because of the mesh. Besides, shipping is too expensive from US to Europe. The case itself costs more here, but shipping is a lot cheaper within EU, which balances things out.

600TM is my bailout scenario, in case I'm unable to decide on handled case.

By the way, what website is that coupon for? I tried it in official store and it didn't work.

Another case I like, but won't fit into my compartment: Storm Sniper (the newer black edition). It's 55 cm in height, exceeding my maximum limit by 2 cm.

Technically, it can be considered a case with handles: it has special "cavities" in the top allowing you to carry it. That's more than enough for me to qualify as a "handled" case. :p

I really like the storm scout. The handles are very sturdy and it looks pretty sharp. I have probably done ~6 builds with them.

It wont fit really large gpus tho without some modding.

Another case I like, but won't fit into my compartment: Storm Sniper (the newer black edition). It's 55 cm in height, exceeding my maximum limit by 2 cm.

Technically, it can be considered a case with handles: it has special "cavities" in the top allowing you to carry it. That's more than enough for me to qualify as a "handled" case. :p

I have a Storm Sniper Black. Very sturdy and very portable, but surprisingly heavy. You can lose about 2cm in height by unscrewing the the feet and letting it sit flat on the desk. Just be aware, the paint scratches easily and much of it is held to together with plastic retention clips that will shatter or snap after the third tear down.

Case Labs cases all have handles that can be screwed into the motherboard tray. So just buy a TX-10D and carry it with the handle... or a forklift.

Case Labs Merlin cases (when they eventually ship) should fit your needs nicely.

I really like the storm scout. The handles are very sturdy and it looks pretty sharp. I have probably done ~6 builds with them.

It wont fit really large gpus tho without some modding.

Can it fit ASUS GTX 680, reference design?

I really like the look/feel of a bitfenix survivor.
It really is a headturner too.

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/11/bitfenix-survivor-review/bitfenix-survivor1.jpg

I don't like it. It looks like a grandma's suitcase. Also, it doesn't have means for side cooling. But, most importantly, the handle looks fragile. I don't say it actually IS fragile, it may be the sturdiest handle in the world, but it just looks like it's gonna fall off any moment. :D

I have a Storm Sniper Black. Very sturdy and very portable, but surprisingly heavy. You can lose about 2cm in height by unscrewing the the feet and letting it sit flat on the desk.

I thought about removing the legs, too. But it would shut off the floor airflow, which is not very good, since the PSU is located at the bottom.

The storm sniper only really has bottom air flow if you mount a bottom fan with a small PSU. the physically larger 1000+ watt PSUs will force you to choose between using half the wires or mounting a fan. You could also reverse the airflow of the fan so that it draws the (moderately) warm air from the case and exhausts out the back.

But the simplest solution would be to remove the feet and then add a pair of small shims to slightly angle up the back of the case.

Storm trooper, antec lanboy, that new small lian Li,

Storm trooper won't fit. Pity though, it's a nice case.

Antec Lanboy is one of the fugliest cases I've ever seen.

Lian Li? Are you talking about PC-TU200? I need a mid-tower, not a birdhouse. :D

So far Storm Scout seems to be the winner. I don't like a couple of things about it, but overall it's a solid choice.

I have the CM Storm Scout and it has held up pretty well to my LAN expeditions.

The handle up top makes moving around a heavy system much more manageable :D

Decisions... decisions... I'm still not 100% convinced that Storm Scout is a better choice than Thermaltake V5. Visually, V5 looks more appealing to me, as it has more universal aesthetics, while Storm Scout has a definitive gaming look.

Storm trooper won't fit. Pity though, it's a nice case.

Antec Lanboy is one of the fugliest cases I've ever seen.

Lian Li? Are you talking about PC-TU200? I need a mid-tower, not a birdhouse. :D

So far Storm Scout seems to be the winner. I don't like a couple of things about it, but overall it's a solid choice.

yea I was, haha, why not just install your own handles like the ones from mmpctech.

If you need small, I'd do that Lanboy from Antec. Or build in your own.

I don't need small, I need standard mid-tower, which is around 50 cm in height. Both Storm Scout and Thermaltake V5 fit the description, so why would I go with the ugly Lanboy or build anything myself? Both cases are available in local stores, both priced decently. I just need to choose.

yea I was, haha, why not just install your own handles like the ones from mmpctech.

Why bother when there is already at least two cases with handles which fit my requirements?

I'm in the process of thorough comparison between Storm Scout and Thermaltake V5. It's hard to choose, but there's no reason to resort to such desperate measures as installing custom handles.

In case anyone wants to know, I chose Storm Scout. It's due to be delivered early next week. Hopefully, I did the right choice.

I'm a blue LED guy, so it seems I'm gonna have to change the fans, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

It arrived a bit late, just yesterday. What can I say... the case is a peach!

Holy cow! I finally moved the hardware to the new case and the difference in temps is smashing! Well, that wasn't exactly unexpected, given the fact that I had removed all the fans from the old case (they eventually broke down and I was too lazy to replace them), but still. Anyway, here's the comparison of idle temps:

Code:
Old case (no fans) / Storm Scout (stock fans)

HDD1 53°C / 33°C
HDD2 55°C / 36°C
GPU  50°C / 40°C
CPU  60°C / 35°C

Back