Case refurb paint suggestions.

equinox654

Gawd
Some background:
My son is using my Cooler Master C700p. The aluminum rails and some of the plastics have scuffs on them now from his use.
I upgraded to a 4090 yesterday, so I gave him my AIO cooled 3080. While installing the 3080 I forgot how much I loved that case and it can be inverted to be positioned correctly on the desk I built.

The question is: do you guys have any paint product recommendations for spraying the plastics and aluminum pieces to give them a decent finish.

I can buy an airbrush no problem if needed.
Figure I will strip the whole thing down and sand it over a weekend.

1) Thoroughly clean plastics
2) Use an automotive vinyl dye (spray can)... also I've heard Krylon has a plastic paint, but I've no experience with it.
3) use multiple light coats on all surfaces.

It's been since the beige cases of the 90's since I used vinyl dye on a pc case.

BlackDragon

1) Thoroughly clean plastics
2) Use an automotive vinyl dye (spray can)... also I've heard Krylon has a plastic paint, but I've no experience with it.
3) use multiple light coats on all surfaces.

It's been since the beige cases of the 90's since I used vinyl dye on a pc case.

BlackDragon

Krylon Fusion is what it's called. It works well. Some colors like black will take a lot of work to come out evenly. You need to do your prep work like anything else, but you do not use primer with Krylon Fusion.

May take me a while to get to it now. The boy is giving me push back. Think he is scared he wont be able to play marauders with his little friends every waking moment while I do the swap.

I've done a lot of spray painting air brush.regular spray gun and rattle cans and found the can stuff is the way to go for your project.Also like to warm the can in hot water seems to make it flow on a bit smoother.

Thanks guys. I'm a decent fabricator, but I am sure not a painter. Hopefully I can get it to come out nice.
If painting Aluminum, I'd research how to do it. As I remember raw aluminum and anodized aluminum have different steps to primer and paint them... and are different than steel. I don't know if an etching primer is needed and such. Maybe automotive Trim paint is needed.... don't know.

Thanks,

I really want to get to it in the next couple of weekends. I really want to build the C700p in reverse. I can’t believe how much those things go for now. $450. I picked it up a few years back for a little over $200 open box at microcenter.

I wish I could find the parts in stock to turn it into a C700m. Looks like only the front is different… looks like the same modular box.

I've used krylon as well, but I've also stopped by some auto repair shops local to me and asked if they would paint (base/clear) the parts for me if I had them prepped.
When asked what color, I asked if they had any good colors coming up for car repairs, so they didn't have to mix it all for me.
Got a shuttle pic painted in kawi green for $80.
Had a thermal take big tower done in bmw white for 100
Also had a few machines that had metal sides powder coated, but painted the plastic front panels with krylon

Back