carrying around SFF bad?

dirty_dan

Weaksauce
this friend of mine keeps telling me that carrying around a shuttle/aria would hurt it. im thinking about getting one and installing the globalwin wc kit and he is saying its gonna leak blah blah. anyone have any experience with this. my main purpose in building this sff is to take it to lans and it will be moved around.

Long as it doesn't take major hard jars or bumps, I so no reason to stress out but in the case of water cooling it, make DAMN sure those fittings and clamps are tight, or you gonna have one depressing LAN party night.

I remember hauling around "Ice Chamber II" with my Danger Den Water coooling kit. FUCk it was an absolute bitch to move around. I couldn't lie it on its side or anything due to recivour *spelling, sue me*

newinterior.jpg

Well, the average 3.5" hard drive is not designed to be moved very many times in its service life. You might see external enclosures with these drives, but it's not recommended to move them too much. They simply aren't designed to handle those kinds of G-forces, and the consequence could be total data loss. But enough doom and gloom--life is short, take a risk.

My boss carries his XPC back and forth to work every day, he uses a Shuttle bag, and it's been fine for the last year or so.

As for moving 3.5" drives, I used to travel over 200 miles to Miami almost on a monthly basis for a LAN party as well as other parts of FL, including the USF campus, roughly a 3hr drive one way, and Jacksonville, about 5hrs, for LAN's and never had any drive problems, I even drove to QuakeCon 2k3, roughly 1500 miles one way, and the system is still running like a champ. I drive a Jeep so it's not been a real smooth ride either.

Basically I say go for it, but I don't think you'll need water cooling as the heatpipe works extremely well.

Aye, you are just ASKING for trouble with a water cooling setup. The ICE system does its it job well

thanks guys. yeah im still VERY unsure if im going with an athlon 64 or intel with this one. my desktop is xp-m, so im wanting something a little faster. i just want a sff that OCs well.

Thats going to be your tradeoff with SFF, your overclocking potential is dramatically reduced, due to the enclosed nature, smaller PSU and hotter operating tempatures. Pleminary people with the SB95G indicates real poor OC. Some peeps have gotten the P4 models to overclock well, were as the Athlon 64's arn't doing so great.

So just something to keep in mind or you'll wind up pretty dissapointed.

yeah i kind of figured. i just HATE lugging my darn mid tower around, and its LIGHT compared to alot of the towers ive seen. maybe i can find a REALLY small atx tower. hehe. thanks for your help. :)

yes, but you have to bear in mind that the greatest advantage of the shuttles is not in their abilities to oc.

what they are great for is of course taking to lan parties etc. while sadly i've sold mine, it was great to be able to take along to lan parties- shuttle in one hand, lcd screen in the other. cables and stuffs in my backpack. so much better than my old heavy mini tower setup (albeit made heavier with water ;) ).

This might be right up your alley. Small and incredibly light weight. Look around newegg at cases, they have TONS of them, guarentee you'll find one you'll like

11-129-145-04.JPG

IceWind said:
This might be right up your alley. Small and incredibly light weight. Look around newegg at cases, they have TONS of them, guarentee you'll find one you'll like

11-129-145-04.JPG
my case is exactly the same size as that one and its still a pain. hmm i need to think up something quick. i appreciate the help. :)

Cept yours is made of steel, this is made out of 1.1 gauge aluminum. Much, much lighter

I cart my shuttle around a lot. I have both the backpack and the "gym bag" carrying cases, and the gym bag one is better, and the PC stays oriented in it's "normal" configuration, which is how the case was designed to support the internals. So my recommendation is to get the "gym bag" case, and not worry about it too much.

Of course, you should be extremely carefull with it, and i always ride with mine seatbelted in the front passenger seat for added cushioning. After all, it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially on LAN night. ;)

tree_ said:
Just don't OC man.

say what?

My 2.4C ran at 3.2 and my new 3.0CC (got it this morning) is already at 3.6
That's WITH a 9800 Pro, Raptor, 250GB HD, and a DVD burner crammed in it.

SFF's CAN OC, Yeah maybe not full 1Gig OC's, but they have plenty of headroom.

Soltek EQ3401 here, and I LOVE it.

typhoon43 said:
say what?

SFF's CAN OC, Yeah maybe not full 1Gig OC's, but they have plenty of headroom.

Sure they can. My SN75G2 ran my 2.4 at 3.6 with only minor cooling mods. I now have a SN95G5 w/3500+, and while it isn't a stellar overclocker, I did manage 2442 out of that 3500+. And it screams compared to my old SN75G2.

If speed and portability are the goal, I really like the SN95G5.

While this thread is on the subject of moving around your SFF; does anybody that has an Antec Aria carry it around in anything. I bought the shuttle backpack (not the gym bag version) assuming that my Aria would fit fine in it but because that particular backpack tapers towards the top, it won't fit. I just want to see if anybody has a bag that this case does fit into? Gymbag version packpack (shuttle) or IDEQ's backpack which is also the gymbag style.

The big concern is thw water cooling kit. I moved my SB65 to and from work on an almost daily basis (back when I had a job...). That's the major reason I switched to a SFF system.

I'm a little out of date as I spent the summer without electricity, but I'm not sure that you'll find a h2o kit that cools much better than the stock heatpipe cooler and still fits in the case.

-dB

My SB75 is OC'd (3Ghz-3.6Ghz), so not a ton, but a decent amount. I'm using the 80mm->92mm push/pull with silenx 14dba fans and one other 14dba silenx 80mm under the hard drive cage pulling air out of the cage through the 3.5 inch bay into the case (blows on the ram/nb). The loudest fan is on my 6800 but I usually sandbag with with speedfan so idle it's almost inaudible. Temps for the cpu/psu/mb are 43ish/40/38 idle and ~55-58/45/42 load, the entire system is 11dba @ 1 meter, pretty much inaudible at 2 meters.

Anyway, I lug it around all the time in a backpack (mostly to and from work). I haven't had any problems yet.

Okay, so I bought the IDEQ bag, doesn't fit the Aria either. Thats 2 bags bought from newegg then RMA'd... geesh, there has to be somebody with an Aria that wants to move it around other than me. Antec should just make a damn bag for the thing :mad:

Nightfall84 said:
Bumping this because I am tired of carrying my aria in my arms :D
mod a handle on it. i modded a handle into my tower and it works just fine. of course as we discussed earlier i have a REALLY light tower case.

If it is raining or snowing though, that wouldn't be sufficient. It will go from from my house to my car, car to work, work to car, and car back to house 5 times a week :D Thanks for the reply though, nobody seems to have any suggestions. I didn't think that I was the only one that wanted to carry my aria around but I guess so :( Alas, I might be stuck finding a travel bag or something of that nature. (Something not intended to carry an SFF)

what are the specs of your aria? like you said though your best bet is going to be trying to find a bag thats not made for your aria.

Back