Carmakers Target Tesla with Plan for 400 pan-European Car Charging Stations by 2020

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
A group of mainly German carmakers will open ultra-fast electric vehicle charging stations this year and plans a pan-European network of 400 by 2020, hoping to narrow Tesla’s lead. A half-hour charge will give a Tesla driver about 270 km in extra driving range - roughly half the time it would take to get a similar boost at a 50 kW charge point that is now the industry standard. This is a great thing for electric car buyers and should work really well in Western Europe where so many countries are jammed together.

Installing thousands of High-Power Charging (HPC) stations across the globe will require billions of dollars in investment and offer an opportunity to manufacturers. The car consortium’s new fast chargers will cost about 200,000 euros ($233,000) each, sources said previously.

Installing thousands of High-Power Charging (HPC) stations across the globe will require billions of dollars in investment and offer an opportunity to manufacturers. The car consortium’s new fast chargers will cost about 200,000 euros ($233,000) each, sources said previously.

Hopefully the electric car owners will be paying for this when they charge their cars as opposed to tax payers subsidizing them.

I'm all for a charge card of sorts for electric "Pumps." Charge the cost of electricity and a fee and call it done. You gotta make money somehow, and more money to reinvest in more charging areas can only be good for people with electrics.

I'm surprised American hotels don't do this. Especially on the interstate - invest in 1 or 2 electric ports, charge a small fee, designate the parking spots for electric only beside the handicaps and good things happen. I don't own an electric, did they ever figure a standard for the connectors?

I'm all for a charge card of sorts for electric "Pumps." Charge the cost of electricity and a fee and call it done. You gotta make money somehow, and more money to reinvest in more charging areas can only be good for people with electrics.

I'm surprised American hotels don't do this. Especially on the interstate - invest in 1 or 2 electric ports, charge a small fee, designate the parking spots for electric only beside the handicaps and good things happen. I don't own an electric, did they ever figure a standard for the connectors?

Back