Carmack says market is going consoles

The controller thing is because this is a vehicle + shooter game. Only so many buttons on the kids 'controllers and thats where the money will be made. If Farcry2 managed to do it, id should be able to figure it out. The id designers had to be broke in though, they all reach for keyboard+mouse as preferred controls and had to be 'forced' to use an xbox controller so the game would feel right on xbox.

This isnt a port though. Its being designed at the same time for 3 platforms. Ports start on one and move to another later.

What content has id software produced in the past, oh, five or so years that is even worth mentioning? Doom 3? I don't think so. id is sort of irrelevant. I'm more concerned about what Gabe Newell thinks.

PC is as good a platform as it ever was. In fact, it is better than ever because of Steam and digital distribution. Major developers, like Capcom, are giving PC extra special attention. PC has the best version of Street Fighter IV in existence! Better than the actual arcade. Valve is selling games like gangbusters. Most of the major console releases end up with a superior version on the PC. There is more bang for the buck in PC hardware, especially graphics cards, than ever before. Blizzard has two major titles on the way that are purebred PC games. PC gaming ain't going anywhere.

What it comes down to is that PC hardware is ahead of consoles but it isn't so far ahead that it makes sense for developers to build games just for PC. You sort of have to design your game around an upper midrange single GPU system or you essentially have no install base to sell your game to. I think right now a lot of developers are just plain risk averse because of the economy. Things change fast though. It won't be long before hardware that can really run a game like Crysis with authority will be quite affordable. Right now that type of thing is the exclusive domain of nuts with two graphics cards.

It will take a few years but at some point one of two things is going to happen:

1) at least one new console will be taped out that has next gen GPU capabilities, possibly physics capabilities, in which case all our games will take a big jump forward; or

2) the console makers will all pull a Wii and make a profitable, dumbed down console, in which case the PC will have such a huge advantage in technology that we will get PC exclusives again.

What content has id software produced in the past, oh, five or so years that is even worth mentioning? Doom 3? I don't think so. id is sort of irrelevant. I'm more concerned about what Gabe Newell thinks.

PC is as good a platform as it ever was. In fact, it is better than ever because of Steam and digital distribution. Major developers, like Capcom, are giving PC extra special attention. PC has the best version of Street Fighter IV in existence! Better than the actual arcade. Valve is selling games like gangbusters. Most of the major console releases end up with a superior version on the PC. There is more bang for the buck in PC hardware, especially graphics cards, than ever before. Blizzard has two major titles on the way that are purebred PC games. PC gaming ain't going anywhere.

What it comes down to is that PC hardware is ahead of consoles but it isn't so far ahead that it makes sense for developers to build games just for PC. You sort of have to design your game around an upper midrange single GPU system or you essentially have no install base to sell your game to. I think right now a lot of developers are just plain risk averse because of the economy.

It will take a few years but at some point one of two things is going to happen:

1) at least one new console will be taped out that has next gen GPU capabilities, possibly physics capabilities, in which case all our games will take a big jump forward; or

2) the console makers will all pull a Wii and make a profitable, dumbed down console, in which case the PC will have such a huge advantage in technology that we will get PC exclusives again.

HAHA, "id irrelevant" and "more concerned about what Gabe Newell thinks". Thanks for the laugh :)

As for your points, the big jump for consoles you talk about in 1) is something that already exists in the PCs right now. Consoles stop in time as soon as they are developed and PC components evolve year after year (sometimes faster). Our games won't benefit a thing from next gen consoles, because they will just finally be catching up with what the PC already had.

As for 2), not going to happen. What Nintendo did with the Wii was great, but people also want the games that exists in other consoles, that the Wii just can't have, due to the limitations of its hardware. Obviously, one may eventually "glue" the "muscle" and "fun" console concepts together, but I'm not sure that would be a very profitable enterprise.

what a load of bullshit. come up with a better argument... christ PC gamers are effing ridiculous entitled babies

Precisely why I don't blame them anymore, for shifting interests to consoles. Most of the so called "PC Gamers" moan about anything (sometimes with reason, but mostly with none), but will also praise those that do ABSOLUTELY nothing to move the industry forward. There's absolutely no motivation to even think of prioritizing the PC. Just look and Crytek...

id software is not only dead to the PC gaming community, but they were never even alive in the console market either. Quake 3 was their last true triumph in the past decade. Doom 3, ET: Quake Wars and Quake 4 were all terrible.

Doom 3 wasn't that great but I enjoyed the expansion which wasn't even made by id. Quake Wars sucked hard and Quake 4 while enjoyable wasn't the greatest game either. Quake 4 wasn't done by id either though they had some involvement in its development.

This controller thing doesn't worry me at all. I mean, it's tough to get a FPS type scheme to actually work flawless on a 360/PS3 controller so if they spend lots of time with it and get it right then this will be a great thing for lots of gamers. Then they can do the mouse/keyboard controls which will probably take them a day because I mean c'mon, FPS and K&M controls are a lot easier to tweak. I can't see them being any 'worse' then previous id games!

This controller thing doesn't worry me at all. I mean, it's tough to get a FPS type scheme to actually work flawless on a 360/PS3 controller so if they spend lots of time with it and get it right then this will be a great thing for lots of gamers. Then they can do the mouse/keyboard controls which will probably take them a day because I mean c'mon, FPS and K&M controls are a lot easier to tweak. I can't see them being any 'worse' then previous id games!

Most of the time any game ported to PC of the FPS variety has shitty controls. The mouse feels "floaty" if that makes any sense.

PC is as good a platform as it ever was. In fact, it is better than ever because of Steam and digital distribution.

ROTFL :D

well I actually enjoyed Doom 3 myself and Quake 4 wasnt too bad either.
Doom 3 was good as a bargain bin pickup. They put so much time and effort into that engine, and the best game to come out on it was Prey.... a game they didn't even develop!

By the way.... Rage + digital distribution = win! So what if my monthly bandwidth limit is smaller than the download size? At least I don't have to deal with the dreaded two discs!

...besides, IIRC Doom 3 was a 3 CD install and it wasn't a problem at all.

Last edited:
Oblivion/fallout, gears of war, mass effect, bioshock and a bunch of others have all been outstanding on both platforms. I'm willing to bet the PC will still be the only version with the ability to mod it (knowing id software)

bioshock was a good port? I thought the field of view was painful at best, and the controls all felt floaty and fake. it made the whole game unconvincing. It felt and looked a lot more normal on console, but having to use a controller just killed the experience for me anyway. I liked the game (it wasnt groundbreaking, but it wasnt horrible either...above average for sure) - but it is not an example of a good port.

the only other of that list i played extensively was oblivion. I found oblivions menus intolerable from default. a few mods made it logical and pc oriented...but the default menu system is a pisspoor excuse for pc friendly if you ask me.

so yeah...news like this does upset us pc gamers, and for good reason. we used to get quality releases and groundbreaking games. now its usually just rehashed horse shit. on the new games that actually avoid being rehashed horse shit, the control scheme and bugs kill the gameplay.

Blizzard is the only developer that I have strong faith in anymore - and even so - i'm expecting to lose that faith after the first installment of sc2 in all honesty.

I suppose as a whole none of this is bad...been finding alot of others to do than playing video games. In the end its a whole lot better - but its still a bit disappointing.

Money is in consoles, makes sense that he would say that. One thing to note though is that the developer kit for the 360 makes it easy to port games from PC, so I don't doubt that Rage will be optimized for PC as well. When was the last time an id engine didn't run well on the PC? Don't freak out just yet guys.

agreed. I have no issue using a game pad to play it either, as long as it's designed for it and not hacked to death/an afterthought. Who knows, it might even be better/easier using a game pad (after playing fallout for a while, I actually prefer playing it with a 360 controller over a KB/mouse)

ID is known for making AAA titles and this wont be any different. They might be designing it around a console, but they're not going to release it as a steaming pile of dog crap for the PC either.

edit: besides, maybe theres content in the game that cannot be played as well with a kb/mouse. For instance, try playing a good racing game or GTA with a KB/mouse... it works, but you're always going to be turning 100% to the left of right and/or going 100% full throttle/full brakes. It works, but you actually get much better precision with analog contols

Theres a lot of hate going on here for probably the best designer for PC games ever. All that over a site called FUDzilla, some random crappy site with no credentials and a late and poorly written scoop.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1436954

Thats the real article that this fud was lifted from. Rage looks awesome btw.

seriously, PC gamers have become a bunch of entitled bitches.... and from what I can tell, the guys doing the whining are the WoW/L4D generation, where every little thing that doesnt go their way is treated like the end of the world....

the Rage engine looks amazing, and according to iD, will scale up amazingly.... their previous engines were the same exact way.... they worked on an amazing range of hardware (minimum specs for Quake 3 were a 266mhz Pentium 2 with 128mb of ram...)

fact is, with the community PMSing over every little thing the way it does now, its really hard to blame developers for just saying "fuck em".... because more and more, winning over the PC gaming community seems like an impossible proposition.....

Most of the time any game ported to PC of the FPS variety has shitty controls. The mouse feels "floaty" if that makes any sense.

I understand 100% experiancing that, that's what I meant though when I said I wasn't worried because I don't think id will spend a large amount of time on the controller and then make a shitty floaty mouse option on the PC as those other console then ported games were. This I understand is being developed on everything at once so not really ported.

Everybody hears 'console' and 'controller' and then think of that one really bad port they tried and assume the rest will be as bad. As others mentioned some ports were fine on the PC and the ones that come to memory (Bioshock, Oblivion) weren't ports because they were developed on both the 360 and PC together. Let's wait for a beta/demo to see how this plays out.

FPS with a controller works, I've played tons of FPS on consoles for years with no problem, this game looks fantastic!

Games need to be cross platform now. Which is why Rage having it was a good idea.

The people that keep screaming "entitlement" really need to stop jizzing on their consoles. It's getting old and crusty.

PC gamers tend to actually care more about the gaming experience and offer feedback (sometimes they go overboard). All you knuckledragging console spankers wouldn't have any cool games if it weren't for the PC. I guess it doesn't hurt to keep paying for and playing the same old Madden games year after year. ;)

And Carmack is really showing his age with those comments. He's lost touch with the gaming scene as many others have already stated.

The people that keep screaming "entitlement" really need to stop jizzing on their consoles. It's getting old and crusty.

:rolleyes:

fyi, I game exclusively on my PC. I no longer own an xbox and wouldn't buy a ps3 if my life depended on it.

[John] had good ideas up until quake 3. After that he just kept rehashing the same stuff over and over. Idk why they do that. Why don't they add more gametypes other than capture the flag and the rest.
That's the kind of games John likes, and assumably the kind of games a lot of id employees like as well. It's simplistic linear action, and that's a formula that can still work if executed well. The main thing people disliked about Doom 3 were the un-Doomlike gimmicks. It's funny, but while one vocal group says they want fresh gameplay, the majority of people just seem to want the old games with fresh graphics.

So, that's the path id seems to pursue, adding a bit of freshness to try to satisfy newcomers, and the whole thing gets fucked about. Doom 3 was well-received and generally well-liked when it was first released. Now all you tend to hear about today is how bad Doom 3 was. Why the change in perception?

id tech 5 was built to support ALL platforms. Although Carmack is saying this about controllers, obviously mouse support will be there and there's absolutely nothing to suggest that it will be a bad one.
Hopefully. I still like to think that id knows how to make a good PC game, and I've seen nothing so far to suggest the contrary. Unless they do something stupid, like leaving in mouse accel curves, I don't anticipate any problems. So long as we still get the dev console, I don't think there will be any issues.

If id ships this game without a dev console for us, then...fuck.

id sold out, their console games will be just as lame and restricted by the platform as all other console games. Meh...
From what I'm seeing, I don't think Rage is going to be in any way restricted by the confines of the consoles. With MegaTexture, there are no real texture constraints, and that's usually the one big indicator of consolitis. The gameplay might be a tad more simplistic than it otherwise could be, but what was the last slightly complex id game you've played? I don't think there is such a thing!

If this were someone else's game, yeah, I think there would be cause for concern. This is id, though. id games are always simplistic. They've always made those types of games. This is nothing new.

He wouldn't be saying this if the game was made for the PC and would get a port to consoles later.
That's because that's not how Tech 5 works. Apart from the Mac version, everything is simultaneous (and the Mac version is usually only a week behind the others). So, you realistically can't approach each platform differently -- they're all essentially the same from the engine's perspective.

There's no doubt that Rage will be optimized well for PC. The problem is that the game is going to be designed for consoles ie dumbed down and more simplistic.
More simplistic than what? Doom 3? Any of id's past games? Doom 3 required like two or three keys beyond WASD and one mouse button. A six year old could blast through Doom 3 without the slightest bit of difficulty.

Although first person shooters aren't ideal on consoles, the type of gameplay id's always leaned toward is. It's always very simplistic. The number of buttons required is absolutely minimal, and that's the way John prefers it. The way id's talking about it, Rage is the most complex game id's ever produced, so why are we talking about it being simplistic because it's being developed primarily for consoles and not because it's being developed by id?

FPS with a controller works, I've played tons of FPS on consoles for years with no problem, this game looks fantastic!
I'll try a gamepad if I'm also able to use KB/M and just switch between the two. I guess this depends on how well keyboard works for controlling the cars, though. I wish they'd elaborate a bit more on how the controls work, though.

There's no difference between console gamers and pc gamers really. How many of you have a console and gaming rig? If you're a serious gamer I think you'd have both, at least for the "exclusives".

I prefer sitting on the couch using analog sticks on my PS3 most of the time, except for the twitchiest of shooters. The biggest problem with PC games is they don't spend anytime developing for gamepad style controllers!

Games should be built for any system ideally... This would maximize sales but also cost more to develop. Really my biggest beef is having to buy the same game more than once. If I own ETQW or COD4 on console why should I have to buy it again just to play on PC?

Isn't every other week a contradiction by someone different? It wasn't that long ago that I read on here that EA had said something about PC's would take gaming back over...or something to that effect. I remember commenting that if that was so, why did they drop all their sports titles for the PC.

Pfft, what a crock of shit. Carmack needs to find his roots again. If it wasn't for the PC there would be no John Carmack , he needs to remember that. Fuckin Traitor.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't they be? Look at the amount of shitty ports since the Xbox came into existence.

im specifically talking about the "rage" over iD's new game, and to a lesser extent, Left 4 Dead and Crysis....

in Rage's case, the game isn't even out yet, and people are bitching about id selling out. making a multiplatform game is *NOT* selling out, it is *smart* business! Especially in id's case, where their gameplay is usually very twitchy and simple, multiplatform really wont mean much of a loss of "depth" on the PC end.

people bitching about graphics maybe not being so great are even more off base. id has specifically said this engine is being made with scalability and portability in mind.... and given id's *excellent* track records in these respects, why doubt them now? especially when the smart developer these days does exactly that.... the UT3 engine is a pretty good example of a portable/scalable engine that really does well across platforms, even the PC.....

on the other hand, if id focused solely on PC, and pushed the graphical envelope, they'd run into the same problems that Crytek ran into. cryengine 2 looks better than *anything* else on the market, and renders *much more* complex environments than *anything* else on the market, but because it pushed so many people's systems past their limits, it was derided as being too hard to run, too unoptimized, etc.... really, fucking ridiculous. Ever since 2005, PC graphics have stagnated, and when someone finally pushes forward, the entire PC gaming community throws them under the bus.

and it makes sense..... the gamers of the 90s, the ones who lived with computer technology obsoleting their systems every 12 months are NOT the ones that are bitching about crytek's new engine. its a decade later, those gamers are grown up, they have the disposable income... its the millenials/teenagers these days that have ruined PC gaming communities. they aren't accustomed to the relentless pace of technology improvement we went through in the 90s, and when they are finally faced with something that moves forward like that, its nothing but bitch bitch bitch.... (especially when they have to whine to mommy and daddy for the 100 dollars or so it takes to buy a new video card these days)

its the same gamers that ruin games like l4d (whining, impossible to please).... the newest generation whine so relentlessly about so many aspects of the PC gaming scene, that the *SMART* developers look at them, realize they can't be pleased, realize that the gamers of the 90s are a dying breed (growing up, most graduating college, kids, etc...), and finally realize that multiplatform is the way to go.... PC exclusives are a bad business proposition.

to all those calling Carmack a sellout: he is *not* the only guy going multiplatform! pretty much every developer other than a few (blizzard, stardock come to mind) have gone multiplatform.... get over it, be happy that Rage, Street Fighter 4, Mechwarrior 5, Crysis 2, etc etc etc are even coming to the PC at all....... i'm not saying that people can't complain... but holy crap, people on this board (and around the net) are really saying things about carmack that arent warranted....

really, what im saying is.... kids... grow up!

edit:
Pfft, what a crock of shit. Carmack needs to find his roots again. If it wasn't for the PC there would be no John Carmack , he needs to remember that. Fuckin Trader.

comments like this make my point.... developers aren't deaf, they see how amazingly entitled and nasty the PC community has gotten....

comments like this make my point.... developers aren't deaf, they see how amazingly entitled and nasty the PC community has gotten....

Sure I am being nasty , but it is the truth. He needs to step back and realize that he makes things happen for the technology community based on what he does on the PC, example: the Doom series. Totally revolutionized the gaming industry. I guess what I'm trying to say, as being one of the mid 80's gamers is , it just doesn't seem right. In the end though , its all about money, which is sad but thats the way the world works.

I guess what I'm trying to say, as being one of the mid 80's gamers is , it just doesn't seem right. In the end though , its all about money, which is sad but thats the way the world works.

Took you that long to figure that out?

Took you that long to figure that out?

No I have always "figured that out" I just don't like to admit it. I prefer to think that people do things for the sheer enjoyment of doing things. Sadly that's not the case.

Sure I am being nasty , but it is the truth. He needs to step back and realize that he makes things happen for the technology community based on what he does on the PC, example: the Doom series. Totally revolutionized the gaming industry. I guess what I'm trying to say, as being one of the mid 80's gamers is , it just doesn't seem right. In the end though , its all about money, which is sad but thats the way the world works.

others have tried to revolutionize the graphics tech (once again, crytek) and they got absolutely crucified for it.... other developers saw what happened to them, and very few of them will be so willing to repeat that "mistake"

No I have always "figured that out" I just don't like to admit it. I prefer to think that people do things for the sheer enjoyment of doing things. Sadly that's not the case.

really?? thats your excuse? i just have to ask then: do you honestly think *most* people (i'm talking about 99.999% of the world's population here) would do real hard work just for the enjoyment of it? especially when there are *large* amounts of potential profit at stake?

you see, the thing is, while Carmack may be rich, not everyone at id is, and they *do* have investors, and publishers to keep happy.... so throwing money to the wind like that is just not realistic.... at all.....

edit: and i know this is the internet, where everyone is a PhD entrepreneur and is out saving the world, but i'll ask anyway:

do *you* do something for a living just for enjoyment, while forsaking a much much much larger paycheck, just because you'd rather not "sell out"?

do *you* do something for a living just for enjoyment, while forsaking a much much much larger paycheck, just because you'd rather not "sell out"?

No. I do not. I suppose you are right on some accounts. I guess you could always sell out and then sell back in.

im specifically talking about the "rage" over iD's new game, and to a lesser extent, Left 4 Dead and Crysis....

in Rage's case, the game isn't even out yet, and people are bitching about id selling out. making a multiplatform game is *NOT* selling out, it is *smart* business! Especially in id's case, where their gameplay is usually very twitchy and simple, multiplatform really wont mean much of a loss of "depth" on the PC end.

people bitching about graphics maybe not being so great are even more off base. id has specifically said this engine is being made with scalability and portability in mind.... and given id's *excellent* track records in these respects, why doubt them now? especially when the smart developer these days does exactly that.... the UT3 engine is a pretty good example of a portable/scalable engine that really does well across platforms, even the PC.....

on the other hand, if id focused solely on PC, and pushed the graphical envelope, they'd run into the same problems that Crytek ran into. cryengine 2 looks better than *anything* else on the market, and renders *much more* complex environments than *anything* else on the market, but because it pushed so many people's systems past their limits, it was derided as being too hard to run, too unoptimized, etc.... really, fucking ridiculous. Ever since 2005, PC graphics have stagnated, and when someone finally pushes forward, the entire PC gaming community throws them under the bus.

and it makes sense..... the gamers of the 90s, the ones who lived with computer technology obsoleting their systems every 12 months are NOT the ones that are bitching about crytek's new engine. its a decade later, those gamers are grown up, they have the disposable income... its the millenials/teenagers these days that have ruined PC gaming communities. they aren't accustomed to the relentless pace of technology improvement we went through in the 90s, and when they are finally faced with something that moves forward like that, its nothing but bitch bitch bitch.... (especially when they have to whine to mommy and daddy for the 100 dollars or so it takes to buy a new video card these days)

its the same gamers that ruin games like l4d (whining, impossible to please).... the newest generation whine so relentlessly about so many aspects of the PC gaming scene, that the *SMART* developers look at them, realize they can't be pleased, realize that the gamers of the 90s are a dying breed (growing up, most graduating college, kids, etc...), and finally realize that multiplatform is the way to go.... PC exclusives are a bad business proposition.

to all those calling Carmack a sellout: he is *not* the only guy going multiplatform! pretty much every developer other than a few (blizzard, stardock come to mind) have gone multiplatform.... get over it, be happy that Rage, Street Fighter 4, Mechwarrior 5, Crysis 2, etc etc etc are even coming to the PC at all....... i'm not saying that people can't complain... but holy crap, people on this board (and around the net) are really saying things about carmack that arent warranted....

really, what im saying is.... kids... grow up!

edit:

well said. especialy the bold part. i have been gaming since the 90s when pc gaming was fun and pushed the graphical envelope in games. Now all that is lost thanks to these idiots that are too poor to afford to upgrade every year.

anyone wanna bet againts me that my 260gtx will still play all the latest pc games comming out next year on max settings?

Regardless of platform, if the game is good, I will play it. I have a high-end PC, X360, PS3 and Wii. Any of these platforms for gaming is suitable to me.

AMD, Nvidia and Intel need to stand up and take the PC gaming reigns

Last edited:
Carmack and id should probably just stick to what they know: making shitty games yet good engines and having nobody buy the games but everyone leasing the engines.

Hate to be the "spoiled PC guy", but I don't know what this "Rage" is but I can predict with high probability that whatever it is, it sucks.

Carmack does not declare the death of PC gaming, but suggests that while Rage can be played with a mouse, you will want to play it with a controller, because that is how the game is designed.

Oh. So basically like Oblivion. You could just, I dunno, plug in a gamepad to your PC. They have this thing called USB. It's pretty amazing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
From what I'm seeing, I don't think Rage is going to be in any way restricted by the confines of the consoles. With MegaTexture, there are no real texture constraints, and that's usually the one big indicator of consolitis. The gameplay might be a tad more simplistic than it otherwise could be, but what was the last slightly complex id game you've played? I don't think there is such a thing!

Mega texture allows lots of unique textures but it doesn't really reduce the processing requirements of textures themselves, console struggle with low res textures because the GPU in the console is slow and cannot process quickly with high res textures. All megatexure will really introduce is more textures with less loading screens, not higher quality textures.

Of course it will be restricted, I'd be surprised if the game run at 720p, it certainly wont run higher than that, the filtering will be crap, so will the anti aliasing, it's already known they've restricted the gameplay to the less able console controllers.

It's gimped, in pretty much every way a game can be gimped, PC's were aceing consoles at their release and now a days there simply is no contest.

Why settle for less, oh wait, because console owners are cheapskates xD

Mega texture allows lots of unique textures but it doesn't really reduce the processing requirements of textures themselves, console struggle with low res textures because the GPU in the console is slow and cannot process quickly with high res textures.
Yeah, that's a good point, but the speed at which textures are streamed in is critical as well. In a given scene, higher resolution textures can potentially be utilized because the majority of texture data will not need to be retained throughout the entire length of the map. Other streaming systems, like in UE3, don't do an effective job of purging unnecessary textures when no longer needed. Those streaming systems are mainly employed to reduce per-map load times. MegaTexture is really designed to be loading data in (and out) at all times.

You can tell based on the handful of released screenshots that the texture resolution in Rage is fairly high for a console game, particularly on characters. I think that's an indicator that MegaTexture's being utilized to good effect to diminish the appearance of severe console memory constraints.

Of course it will be restricted, I'd be surprised if the game run at 720p
So few console games actually do these days, unfortunately. Odds are someone at id would answer this question if someone were to ask, though.

Why settle for less, oh wait, because console owners are cheapskates xD

You may be getting a bargain by buying a console, but you pay more for the games (if new) and get PC graphics quality from 5 or more years ago. It doesn't make sense and defies logic in the technical sense.

Back