careful with your purchased win10 licenses, mine was banned for being "pirated"

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...stomers-are-not-pirates?forum=win10itprosetup

my purchased license was "Banned for being pirated" after wasting 3 hours of support after my laptop died. I placed the drive into my other laptop and they stated it was then registered twice and was banned. This was a fresh install on a new license (not oem or free upgrade).

What a pain, luckily the vendor helped me replace it. this could be a nightmare as laptops/desktops die out. Is Microsoft going to require you purchase 100$ license each time you swap motherboards? yikes!!!

Well it was registered twice. I have had that happen with other versions of windows, and all I had to do was simply call the activation hotline, and the key was un banned. I guess it may not work that way with a retail version of W10? I always had OEM licenses.

Things like that it's better to call instead of chat. Real talk, if I was the guy I would have thought you were lying too because of that.

Ya you guys are probably right should have called.

I am 99% sure you could have activated it without even speaking to someone. Worst case scenario you explain it, and generally they release the key. They have done it for me many times on previous version of windows.

Where are the people that were saying for months "you'll be able to reactivate with a phone call just like 7/8 so put the tinfoil hat about 10 away".

crickets...

He didn't call. he did a chat, so basically anonymous. And if it took three hours to come to the conclusion it was activated twice, he wasn't forward with what he was doing. Hell, even his question on technet is questionable. It worked fine since release, then he switched the drive to a new working laptop. See what I'm saying about this was a matter that should have been called in?

So what if it was activated twice...with retail license you have the right to transfer it to another PC so long as it is only used on one PC.

So what if it was activated twice...with retail license you have the right to transfer it to another PC so long as it is only used on one PC.

He says it was $100, so it is most likely an OEM copy.
The EULA does state that the license can't be transferred but in the event of a motherboard failure, you can replace the motherboard with the same model, or an equivalent board if you can no longer get the same original board.

I personally haven't had any activation issues and had to call since the XP days. My machines are still running the original Windows 7 installs from August of 2009.

He said it is not OEM.

"This was a fresh install on a new license (not oem or free upgrade)."

He said it is not OEM.

"This was a fresh install on a new license (not oem or free upgrade)."

Standard price for Home Retail is $120.
Standard price for Home OEM is $100.

OP paid $100.
OP also didn't state where he purchased the license.

So you can see why there might be some belief that OP actually has an OEM license.

I may have my exact $ not accurate maybe it was 120$. Anyway it looks like "new mb" is considered a "new pc" and you would need to purchase a "new license". However it seems some people get help by phone support others like myself are told my license is "banned for being pirated after activating twice"... Which is just nuts to be treated like a criminal for swapping my drive into a working laptop. A few suggestions are to reimage with win7 then upgrade again or possibly do a backup to recovery usb stick before reimaging/transferring devices.

from technet/ms:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d/b933fac2-6f58-417e-8825-8e1a44fc8f37?auth=1

"The correct method, according to Microsoft, if you upgrade your motherboard after installing retail Windows 10 or a Windows 10 upgrade to a retail version of Windows 7 or 8.1 is to first create recovery media (Desktop Control Panel->All Control Panel Items->Recovery, click on "Create a recovery drive".) on a USB flash key. Then upgrade the MB, CPU, RAM (even build a brand new computer) and use the recovery drive to install Windows 10 on the new hardware. Microsoft says it will automatically reactivate itself within 3 days. And if it doesn't there is a phone activation you can use for it. You just need to be sure to remove Windows from the PC you upgraded from. "

I may have my exact $ not accurate maybe it was 120$. Anyway it looks like "new mb" is considered a "new pc" and you would need to purchase a "new license". However it seems some people get help by phone support others like myself are told my license is "banned for being pirated after activating twice"... Which is just nuts to be treated like a criminal for swapping my drive into a working laptop. A few suggestions are to reimage with win7 then upgrade again or possibly do a backup to recovery usb stick before reimaging/transferring devices.

That is exactly what I did the one time I had an issue with W10 and activation. And it worked fine, and activated afterwards.

But each time I called the activation line for assistance, if the automated system system could not activate my key, I spoke with a CSR. Explained that I swapped motherboards because I had to. And each and every time, they released the key and activated it for me. I have NEVER had a rep tell me no. ANd this stems back as far as the early Windows 7 days, and even XP days. Just my experience.

This was a fresh install on a new license (not oem or free upgrade).

What a pain, luckily the vendor helped me replace it. this could be a nightmare as laptops/desktops die out. Is Microsoft going to require you purchase 100$ license each time you swap motherboards? yikes!!!
Would you mind sharing the vendor that you purchased the license from?

Back