Cards with plugs on the back...

Silas1128

n00b
I have a unique small form factor case. There is not enough room between the video card and the side of the case for the power plugs on 99% of cards. I found a Sapphire R9 270X with the plugs on the back of the card, but nothing better... All the new cards have the side plugs. Does anyone know of better cards with plugs on the back?

My only other option is to run each wire individually into the plug. If I go that route, what do I need to buy for the proper ends on the wires to slip into the power plugs on the card=? (if I'm making sense..)

Can't believe you found any GPU with the power ports on the end! I been searching for a while since I read your post. I guess decide which card you'd like and then look at images and views of it from every manufacturer. Not sure there are any newer cards built that way.

Your other option is to remove the pins from the PCI-E connector housing and wire them individually to each connector into the GPU as you mentioned--that would save maybe an inch or more on the connection.

This guy shows how to remove the pins and how to make a tool to do it without buying some expensive tool that doesn't work quite as well as the homemade piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXMwCQ9fIVM

Hope you have some free time and remember which wire goes where when you get them all out of the housing! Hopefully your new card won't need two 8-pin connectors :)

AWESOME, thanks for the eBay lead. they make EXACTLY what I need in both 6 and 8 pin. My case is running a modular 1U server power supply, so I may be able to swap the pins out of the plug (just like that video showed) and make it look factory. This is AWESOME!

Thanks guys!

Back