Card running a little warm, need advice.

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
I have a XFX 7800GT, and when I play games at 1280x1024 resolution my graphics card gets quite hot ( 75C - 85C ) and sometimes even crashes my enitre computer ( leaves me staring at a black screen ). When I play at a lower resolution like 1024x768, it runs somewhat cooler and I have no problems.

Since I just upgraded to an LCD monitor and would like to game at the higher resolution I need to make my graphics card run a bit cooler. I have good airflow in my case ( Antec P180), and the fans are all turning and dust free. The fan in my graphics card is also working properly and dust free.

I was thinking about just reapplying new thermal paste on the existing heatsink to see if that would help any before I decide if I need a better GPU cooler. My warranty with XFX will not allow me to do this so I am debating whether to go ahead and do it myself or send it in to XFX and be without my card for 2 weeks. If I did it myself could I just use AS5 on the GPU and RAM chips? Or do they not all sit level, and I would need some kind of thermal pads? Thanks.

Maybe I should reword my question.

What would be the best compound to use if I wanted to reapply the themal compound on my 7800GT? Just AS5 on the GPU and RAM chips?

you can try using AS5 (thats my paste of choice) and see if that reduces temps, it should by a few degrees. What I would suggest is picking up an NVSilencer or another aftermarket GPU cooler. Zalman also makes a nice copper fin one that my roommate has on his 7900GT and he never sees temps above 55 degrees.

oh, your scared of voiding your warenty? psh, within an hour of getting my 6800 I'd voided the warenty. You have a 7800 so I wouldn't worry that much.

DONT PUT AS5 on the ram. you have to use noncounductive AS ceramique(spelling?) the capacitive/conductive property of AS5 will mess up the ram. if you get it on the memory traces get the rubbing alcohol out

The Zalman VF900 is the answer...lower temps, lower noise and looks :cool:

So if I put back on the original heat sink and use some AS5 on the core and some of this on RAM chips I will be OK?

Does this Ceramique work just like AS5, just a small dot in the middle? Or do I have to apply a thin layer over the chip?

Zalman VF900 with AS5 on the GPU and Ceramique ith RAM Sinks will cool it down nicely. PS Nice GPU by the way ;)

Back