car deck's on cases?

RuyZ

n00b
hey, im wondering if theres any possible way i could wire up a car audio deck to my case, the spot dosent really matter, i have a spot on my case that fits my old deck perf, basically what im wanting to do is have the deck wired to my sound card, and use its controls to play my songs via the buttons on the deck in winamp.
or am i just being the hardcore nub i am and dreaming

why not? but im not sure what you mean by play songs via the buttons on the deck in winamp

i've seen someone done this before.. sorry no link:(

heres what i ment.
like youve got your deck built into your case and wired up to your sound card or motherboard or howevere itl work, then youve got the buttons on teh deck, play, next song, ect. and when you press play for example it starts playing the songs in your winamp playlist, and next song plays the next song, and so on.

well if you just want the buttons to function you would have to open the face and wire up all the buttons to like a parallel port and use a winamp plugin to make it all work... if you actually want the deck to still function, then no... you cant control winamp with it... if you want to hook it up to your sound card you can do it one of two ways... if your deck has a line-level output (a set of rca cables, usually for an external amp) you can splice a pair of rca connector to a cdaudio cable and hook that up to one of your soundcard's cd-in connectors... if your head dosent have a line out you need a speaker level to line level converter and the rest is the same

Wow, what deck is that small? I really like this idea though. I might try it one day.

Well there isn't any kind of direct connection you could make to control winamp. You would have to make some sort of interface to wire up the buttons to the parallel port or something. And car stereos are designed to drive speakers, so you really couldn't hook it up to the sound card unless it had lineouts, but I don't know why you would even do that if you wanted to listen to winamp. But that sounds like a damn cool idea.

Originally posted by User Name
why cant just connect the speaker out to the line in at the sound card?
For the same reason you can't plug an led into a 120vac wall socket. The speaker out is amplified but the line in is expecting a line-level input. Could fry the sound card or it could just cause some bad clipping. Or it could work. I've never actually tried it.

I'd love to see someone implement this, that's one mod i've seen talked about for a while, but never seen anyone do it!

Originally posted by jpmkm
Well there isn't any kind of direct connection you could make to control winamp. You would have to make some sort of interface to wire up the buttons to the parallel port or something. And car stereos are designed to drive speakers, so you really couldn't hook it up to the sound card unless it had lineouts, but I don't know why you would even do that if you wanted to listen to winamp. But that sounds like a damn cool idea.

The computer in my Jeep Cherokee is directly controlled by my Sony head unit via the Unilink cable and unilink/S-BUS protocol system. You wire the cable up to the parallel port. I wrote software for it based on the original concept I found on the internet. Basically, all the buttons works, not all mapped to functions yet. You can also send CD text to the head unit for MP3 titles, but its all still very buggy. It has a lot of hardware timing issues. :rolleyes:

can I see you software? Will it work with any unilink sony deck was the interface easy to make?

personally i want somone to do something similar for the sirius radio interfaces so i can use my panasonic hu with the giant lcd to control the pc in my trunk, now that would kick ass

Originally posted by Alexia
The computer in my Jeep Cherokee is directly controlled by my Sony head unit via the Unilink cable and unilink/S-BUS protocol system. You wire the cable up to the parallel port. I wrote software for it based on the original concept I found on the internet. Basically, all the buttons works, not all mapped to functions yet. You can also send CD text to the head unit for MP3 titles, but its all still very buggy. It has a lot of hardware timing issues. :rolleyes:

could you post links???

Would this also be possible to adapt to a head unit that has a changer control in it (it's a Pioneer btw...the big faced ones for GM vehicles)??

Back