Can't set refresh rate to 120Hz?

bladeiai

[H]ard|Gawd
So I got my shiny new Samsung tv today (and I love it btw) and I got it set up, but can't set the refresh rate to 120hz (only 60Hz is available). I have it running on a 8500gt and the HTPC in my sig (bottom)if it matters...

Anyone have any ideas?

Sadly its not a 120Hz input TV.
It uses internal processing for TV/Video to interpolate frames to give an effective 120Hz, thus smoothing the image when watching video.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/...v&type=tv&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LN52A630M1FXZC
Auto Motion Plus 120Hz™
Your action-packed sports and movies have never looked this real. Auto Motion Plus 120Hz technology virtually eliminates any motion blur and creates smooth transitions between frames. What’s the secret? Auto Motion Plus calculates the image between frames and inserts it, creating a non-repetitive transition from one to the next. The result is a clearer picture you have to see to believe.

I dont know of any HDTVs that are true 120hz.
Single Link HDMI doesnt quite have the bandwidth to do 120Hz so it will require dual link HDMI or a different interface to plug into a PC.
Some numbskull ratified the HDMI spec because the bandwidth required for 1080p 120Hz is only about 1.25% more than a single link cable can handle!
Until you hear of how a PC will be connecting to these upcoming TVs, you can be sure there arent any yet.

A few 120hz monitors have arrived, they use Dual Link DVI.

You need to set your device (HTPC) to output at 24hz. This will eliminate the need to 3:2 pulldown as 24hz will properly scale to 120hz. (24 *5 = 120)

Back