Can't mount ISO files natively anymore nor burn them

qhash

Weaksauce
Hi guys,
A few weeks ago, when I tried to mount an ISO file, it returned an error "There was a problem with installing a file". Thought that maybe the file is corrupt, but then I have tried another one and received the same message, I realized that there is a problem in the system itself ( Windows 8.1 pro ). I started to search the web and found some threads here and there, as old as from 2012, that there is some kind of iso file flagging issue and it is sufficient to copy the file to another place and it will be good.. well, it does not work for me, only if I move that file to an external HDD. Transfering those images to a another partition on my system SSD does not work in the same way, however.

Another wierd thing is that when I use media builder from Paragon to create a bootable USB it works without a flaw. When I want to use a CD as a carrier, then there is an error saying it can not burn the CD. Of course I can't mount that iso file as well. In all three cases source is the same iso file. After that I tried to burn some different, old and newly downloaded iso's, using two different 3rd party burning apps and both returned an error while burning.

Eventually I have ended up reinstalling my Windows 8.1, but guess what ? Problem persist. I tried to mount the very same iso file a have used when it all started. Maybe this caused some DLLs to malfunction, I do not know. It reaches beyond my skills, that is why I seek help here.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Over the years I've fixed a lot of machines, and I've seen a trend. You diagnose the problem and re-install windows and hand the computer over to the customer, only to get it back with the same symptoms a few days later. They take the machine home and install their favorite programs, which are the root cause of the actual problem.

Are you sure you're not installing something that is trying to handle the iso, or causing this issue? It could be some completely unrelated program that is doing it... Uninstalling them might not be enough to restore the functionality, though...

I did. Fresh install of 8.1, maybe some updates installed right away because I have forgot to uncheck those during install.

Thats pretty weird then...

I've had some problems with mounting ISOs over a network with UAC enabled. I believe it is related to the token escalation to administrator, as I don't believe non-admins can mount an ISO with the built in Win8 utilities.

When I think about it right now, I own my new Acer notebook for maybe two months or so. Actually I do not remember trying to burn a CD or open an image file before on that Acer.

I do mention about CDs because a moment ago I have tried to burn an image using my old Samsung Slim USB burner (that image is mountable, as moved it to external HDD). However, after 2-3 seconds after pressing burn the ODD becomes disconnected, an error message is displayed the CD could not be burn, and then ODD reconnects back again. The CD is blank.

All above implies that maybe this is a hardware issue associated with my SSD or Acer mobo ? Or driver issue? I have to check if the USB ODD works when connected to another computer.

update:
these things are not connected. USB ODD cant burn normal files as well so its not iso related.

Last edited:
I do mention about CDs because a moment ago I have tried to burn an image using my old Samsung Slim USB burner (that image is mountable, as moved it to external HDD). However, after 2-3 seconds after pressing burn the ODD becomes disconnected, an error message is displayed the CD could not be burn, and then ODD reconnects back again. The CD is blank.

This could be USB power related.

Back