Can't get 4GB of RAM to work in MSI K9N-SLI Platinum

kleptophobiac

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got 4x1024 Corsair XMS Pro DDR2 800 sticks. It works fine with two of them in dual channel mode. When I populate all four slots, the mobo picks up around 3274 MiB of RAM and then crashes regularly. All possible pairings of sticks work, but not when using two pairs. This is on BIOS 1.1

All the memory related settings are on [auto].

Any ideas?

Isn't the limitation of Windows 3GB? I thought you had to be running a server version to use more than 3; but I could be remembering wrong.

you need to enable pae - (physical address extension) in windows and i believe your mainboards bios has to support memory remapping. without that you will be limited to 3gigs

i think it's called 'memory hole' on dfi boards...could be named something else on that mobo. check your mobo manual for the setting.

check out this as well.

PAE is listed in the system properties general tab. I thought memory hole was a blank spot from 15-16MiB in memory and had nothing to do with upper memory?

Also, what would explain the crashing with 3GB?

I turned on memory hole and put in all four sticks. At POST, BIOS shows 3904 MiB of RAM and when booted, windows shows 3.0GB??

bios6df.png

turn off your page file. 32bit windows can only adress 4GB of physical and virtual memory, and your PF is 1GB.

Well, there's still an underlying mobo problem here. All sticks of RAM work individually or in any paired combination. With memory hole off and all four sticks in, the mobo recognizes 3264 MiB of RAM. With memory hole on and all four sticks in, the mobo recognizes 3904 MiB of RAM. In any case, with four sticks of RAM the machine crashes randomly and often doesn't even load windows all the way.

kleptophobiac said:
Well, there's still an underlying mobo problem here. All sticks of RAM work individually or in any paired combination. With memory hole off and all four sticks in, the mobo recognizes 3264 MiB of RAM. With memory hole on and all four sticks in, the mobo recognizes 3904 MiB of RAM. In any case, with four sticks of RAM the machine crashes randomly and often doesn't even load windows all the way.

are they running @ 2t?

and you've tried what the microsoft entry spoke about? adding /pae to the boot.ini?

kleptophobiac said:
I've got 4x1024 Corsair XMS Pro DDR2 800 sticks. It works fine with two of them in dual channel mode. When I populate all four slots, the mobo picks up around 3274 MiB of RAM and then crashes regularly. All possible pairings of sticks work, but not when using two pairs. This is on BIOS 1.1

All the memory related settings are on [auto].

Any ideas?

Do you use more than 2gigs? If not take two of those out and sell them.

Back