Can't decide on a SFF system.

alabrand

n00b
I can’t for the love of god decide if I want to use mATX or mITX. The reason for wanting to go mATX is because of the Gigabyte Z87 mATX motherboard and the reason for wanting to go mITX is because of the rumoured Asus Z87 mITX ROG motherboard. I’m fairly sure that the deciding factor in all this will be the case… Which brings me to my next dilemma.

Which case should I opt for? I’m fairly certain that if I go mITX I’ll get the Compact Splash and if I go mATX I’ll either get the SilverStone FT03, Corsair 350D, SilverStone TJ08B-E or the Lian Li PC-V354. The Compact Splash and the Lian Li 354 piques my interest the most but I can’t decide between any of ‘em.

For example, I like the Compact Splash because it’s pretty empty in that it doesn’t have any unnecessary front panel ports or anything else inside. Just two mounts for two SSD’s in the bottom which is exactly what I need.

But I also like the Lian Li 354 with it’s awesome look and whatnot. I’ll probably end up removing the hard drive cages and possibly the 5.25” bay as I don’t like the look of those.

As I’ve heard that HardForum SFF is one of the better places to ask questions I figured I would do so.

Thanks!

It may help to let us know what actual uses of the system you're planning.

Most people only need what mITX can provide, but sometimes want the growth opportunities of mATX.

Let us know more and I'm sure people will chime in with more of an educated suggestion ;)

I haven't heard of any rumours for a ROG ITX motherboard. Sure, we'd love to see one, but there has been no mention of one yet. But as for your mATX vs ITX issue, just think about what you want to put in it first. The easy way is if you want to use one graphics card with on-board sound, go ITX. If you want to use multiple graphics cards, dedicated sound cards or multiple other PCI device, go mATX.

But by the sounds of things, you want to go for an ITX build with a particular look, There's an ITX version of that Lian Li PC-V354. It's the Lian Li PC-Q08B. If you don't want to use the 5.25" drive bay for an ODD, you can always jam a drive bay device in there. Look at Icy Dock for a few examples.

For example, I like the Compact Splash because it’s pretty empty in that it doesn’t have any unnecessary front panel ports or anything else inside. Just two mounts for two SSD’s in the bottom which is exactly what I need.

Compact Splash is specifically designed for water cooling, you can't fit much of an air cooler over the motherboard because of the PSU. I would hesitate to run a GPU on air in there. It's much smaller than the other cases you mention. Also, it's not available retail, it was a limited run of 50, so not sure how you'd get one.

It may help to let us know what actual uses of the system you're planning.

Most people only need what mITX can provide, but sometimes want the growth opportunities of mATX.

Let us know more and I'm sure people will chime in with more of an educated suggestion ;)

It'll be for general usage which includes playing games. I really only need one GPU as I'm not planning on going SLI/XFIRE any time soon and I definitely won't need a sound card as I've already got some external pieces.

I haven't heard of any rumours for a ROG ITX motherboard. Sure, we'd love to see one, but there has been no mention of one yet. But as for your mATX vs ITX issue, just think about what you want to put in it first. The easy way is if you want to use one graphics card with on-board sound, go ITX. If you want to use multiple graphics cards, dedicated sound cards or multiple other PCI device, go mATX.

But by the sounds of things, you want to go for an ITX build with a particular look, There's an ITX version of that Lian Li PC-V354. It's the Lian Li PC-Q08B. If you don't want to use the 5.25" drive bay for an ODD, you can always jam a drive bay device in there. Look at Icy Dock for a few examples.

Yeah, I read on SweClockers by an ASUS representantive that they were unveiling it on Computex. Specifically with the Lian Li 354 I noticed that there are holes for two SSD's in the bottom, unless I am mistaken. It fits me perfectly.

Compact Splash is specifically designed for water cooling, you can't fit much of an air cooler over the motherboard because of the PSU. I would hesitate to run a GPU on air in there. It's much smaller than the other cases you mention. Also, it's not available retail, it was a limited run of 50, so not sure how you'd get one.

Aw, shucks. They won't make more than 50? : ( I was planning on buying one when I have everything figured out and use a Swiftech H220. The GPU used would either be a Titan or a GTX 780 depending on its launch date.

Back