Can't Believe I Finally Did It!

computerpro3

LightningRod
Hey,

Just felt like giving a shoutout because I finally saved up enough to grab a 60GB Black Ipod Video and a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi Pro 5 canalphones.

The video ipod is NICEEEE, much nicer than I expected.

The headphones come in friday, I'll let you know how they sound when they get here.

What I am impressed about is the apple's ability to drive some large cans; I have a nice pair of Numark's (for DJ's mostly because of their isolation) with some pretty large drivers, and while granted, I have to crank the volume, they sound pretty damn good.

Very impressive. Nice job Apple.

Oh, transcoding is a bitch.

Even my 3ghz Opteron takes 33min to convert a DVD rip of Napoleon Dynamite :mad:

Any program out there faster than Videora, or do I really have to wait 35min for the 30 odd movies I have on my computer? :eek:

Dude, that 33 minutes is pretty darn good IMO. It takes my A64 3200+ about 16-18 minutes to convert a 22 minutes DivX movie.

Wow, perhaps I shouldn't complain.

Still though, how nice would insta-rip be? :p

Well, at least I have an excuse to go dual core now.

Yeah, I went out and picked up a 30GB white video yesterday. Last place I checked had em. Fred Meyer... haha.

Oh, and encoding videos for me is 1 minute of movie = 1 minute of encoding. AXP 1800+. :D

computerpro3 said:
Even my 3ghz Opteron takes 33min to convert a DVD rip of Napoleon Dynamite:

What settings are you using in Videora to convert ND? I keep getting corrupt video files when I try this movie. All other movies have worked fine....

sorry for being off topic...

congrats on the new toy! I love mine

I sure wish I had some large cans... When I come home from work/school, all I'm coming home to is some earbuds....

My sister got a white 60GB video, and the sound quality out of it is absolutely awful, after a few songs I had a headache.

ScHpAnKy said:
My sister got a white 60GB video, and the sound quality out of it is absolutely awful, after a few songs I had a headache.

What headphones were you using?

synergyo1 said:
What headphones were you using?

tried a couple, I don't have lots of cash so I can't afford great headphones...
first I tried the bundled ones which were awful, they murder your ears
second I tried grado sr-60's... which were considerably better, and then I tried some sennheiser ones... forget the model number off the top of my head... but all of them still had this awful muffle sound to them... I dont understand it, if I plug any of the headphones into my reciever it sounds fine...

ScHpAnKy said:

There are many factors that affect sound quality: the quality of the audio files (bit rate, how it was ripped, etc.), the quality of the headphones used, and the audio player itself.

Don't automatically assume that it's the iPod's fault because most people get great sound quality from theirs. I have a 5G 30GB and the sound quality is very good. For example, I rip my cd's to AAC format at 256 kbps and I use/have used Sony mdr-ex71's, Shure E4c's and Sennheiser HD-280s.

Oh. My. Gosh.

These UE 5 pro's are quite simply the most amazing audio related thing I've ever heard. I mean, of course I can replicate their sound with my Dantax Vision 2 + SVS setup, but those are well over $5000.

These earphones are very small, comfortable, and produce a sound slightly less accurate than my full system at less than a 20th of the price :eek:

In fact, these headphones have a "fun" tone to them that make me want to get up and dance.

And the Ipod has fine sound quality with them.

ScHpAnKy said:

I have a few solutions to alleviate the headache problem:
-Listen only to one song at a time and take numerous breaks
-Listen to 1 tenth of the volume you were probably listening to
-Listen to high-quality tracks
-Listen with a high-quality headphone
-Listen in a silent environment

My experience: the included headphones are ok if I don't push the volume beyond 50%. All my music is 128kbps AAC ripped from my CD's or from the music store. I cannot tell the difference between 128kbps AAC and the original CD. There are a few MP3's in my library (128..192kbps) and I can clearly hear the compression artefacts from these. They're also direct rips from the original CD. Luckily they're less than 1% of my library.

My ideal situation for enjoying music is my big Sony headphones, volume at 10%, laying in bed in a silent room.

Back