cant access files in 1 particular folder

Delltron

Limp Gawd
When I open a folder on my harddrive, after scrolling through the files, it immediately closes. Also, If i am opening a file in Dreamweaver, or Photoshop, cuteFTP, it will do the same when I enter that particulay folder; the program will shut down and windows explorer shuts down for a second. I have no idea what to do, but the files are extremely important. everytime i scroll over some particular files is when this happens. ANy ideas?

Tried navigating there from a command line? Safe mode?

What kind of files are they? AV? Documents? Something bizarre?

Originally posted by Delltron
When I open a folder on my harddrive, after scrolling through the files, it immediately closes. Also, If i am opening a file in Dreamweaver, or Photoshop, cuteFTP, it will do the same when I enter that particulay folder; the program will shut down and windows explorer shuts down for a second. I have no idea what to do, but the files are extremely important. everytime i scroll over some particular files is when this happens. ANy ideas?

Check your event log. If there is anything interesting in it, or something scary, I suggest you invest in some Anti-Virus software.

Otherwise, it sounds like your install of windows is going down the tube. Repair and cross your fingers, or reinstall. :)

the files are photoshop, html and mp3 files used for a client's site. so i cant afford to lose them. how do i check the event log?

Start > Run > (type) Compmgmt.msc > EventViewer > Check both System & Application > DClick any error or warning and there will be a popup window

Explanation
The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the shell is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.

User Action
No user action is required.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.

This is the message i got through the event manager, but no ideas were presented to fix it. has anyone had the same error?

any kind of encryption being employed?
as mentioned try copying them to another location in safemode or via the commandline
only this folder is effected?

Back