Canadians, where did you buy your senn's?

Stinn

[H]ard|Gawd
There is definately no one local that has them or can get them, I would like to buy online but the only place i can find online in canada is minidisc-canada.com. I would like to get HD555's but they don't have them.
So anyway, any canadians have the 555's and if so where'd ya get em?

ouch, NCIX is pretty pricy on the senns, $30+ more than minidisc-canada.com
I wanted to save myself some duty by buying in canada but if headroom is that much cheaper than I'll buy from them anyway. I think they are the only way I'm going to get the 555's.

EDIT: I think I might go with the 497's from minidisc-canada.com, these will be my first pair of real headphones but I hate feeling like if I'd paid a little more I'd get alot more quality. Anyone think this is a bad idea and I should order the 555's from headroom instead? They will be at least $120CDN more, are they worth that?
Man i hate being indecisive.

No idea, I've yet to buy my first pair of headphones, which I will as soon as I get the new comp.

About NCIX, I don't know how they differ in taxes/shipping, but don't forget that they price match any canadian online retailers.

good point about NCIX's pricematching, I should check the difference in shipping. Either way I just have to pay GST but NCIX is in BC and minidisc is in Ontario I believe so I might get them faster from NCIX.

I got my HD-455s at Future Shop about ten years ago

I got the behind-the-neck PMX-60s at A&B Sound (bc + prairies) about two years ago

i know futureshop carries some but their prices are a bit high and they don't carry any really nice ones. I bought pmx60's at A&B about a year ago as well.
I ordered a pair of 497's from NCIX so lets hope they will pricematch with minidisc.

Good luck on your purchases. From what I heard NCIX is really easy when it comes to price matching.

I ordered a pair of 497's from NCIX so lets hope they will pricematch with minidisc.

Hey Stinn, let me know if they pricematch them. I'm also interested in those ones headphones.

Stinn said:
EDIT: I think I might go with the 497's from minidisc-canada.com, these will be my first pair of real headphones but I hate feeling like if I'd paid a little more I'd get alot more quality. Anyone think this is a bad idea and I should order the 555's from headroom instead? They will be at least $120CDN more, are they worth that?
Man i hate being indecisive.

If the 497s are your "first pair of real headphones", I think you'll be fine.

You can always sell them later if you opt to upgrade, but I imagine you'll be happy with them for a while ;)

headroom is one of the best online dealers for headphones. They usually have prices beating even local stores. Only downside really possible duty and that they dont ship grado's to Canada. Of course neither one is their fault.

I noticed the Grado thing a while back when I was contemplating the 60's. Email grado they responded to me and gave me a local place that carries them. I just never went through with the purchase tho and instead built a HT system.
NCIX still hasn't approved the pricematch, or at least that's what their online tracking system says so we'll see.

Stinn said:
NCIX still hasn't approved the pricematch, or at least that's what their online tracking system says so we'll see.

Thanks for letting me know. They might be busy since they just started a sale, but you should get an update in a day or so. If they own't PM it, they'll contact you and probably have some kind of compromise you can consider.

Stinn said:
i know futureshop carries some but their prices are a bit high and they don't carry any really nice ones. I bought pmx60's at A&B about a year ago as well.

Good luck getting the HD497 headphones in stock at NCIX. Even though it says they are in stock on the website, they aren't actually in stock in their own warehouse. It just means that they can get them from Sennheiser. You should really call them and ask if they actually have them in stock.

I waited over four months to get the Sennheiser HD 497's in stock at NCIX, but I eventually ended up cancelling my order because they couldn't give me a date in which they would get them in.

Please, if you actually do receive them, post in this thread. I've been wanting these headphones going on two years now. I've had numerous disastrous attempts at acquiring them. I've ordered them from the states, but they got stopped at duties and never reached my house. I've also went as far as to drive to Montana to get either the Grado SR-80's or the Sennheiser HD 497. I called the guy in the morning, and he said he had both in stock. When I got there, neither of them were in stock.

The Sennheiser HD497's are a goddamn touchy subject for me.

well lets hope I get them. If they every approve the price match i'll be happy, if they don't approve or don't ship by mid next week I will contact minidisc and get them from them assuming they have them.

Stinn said:
well lets hope I get them. If they every approve the price match i'll be happy, if they don't approve or don't ship by mid next week I will contact minidisc and get them from them assuming they have them.

Is Minidisc a reliable corporation? I've read some reviews, and they all seemed pretty positive. I'd be very willing to purchase from them.

i only picked NCIX because i couldn't find minidisc on resellerratings. However I didn't look too hard so I might have missed them.
Even if pricematched by NCIX, minidisc would still be cheaper as they charge slightly less for shipping.

Haha, well I'm interested in getting a pair of headphones. I have some earphones, but they're just some AIWA ones that came with my FM radio (couple years old). I'm also in the boat of getting my first pair of "real headphones". I don't need one, but they would be nice. Thanks for the heads up on Minidisc.
I'm in BC, so if I buy from them I'll save the PST, but if NCIX pricematches them, I'll save on shipping. PST is 7%, of 80 bucks, it'll still be less than the 7.50 that Minidisc charges for shipping.
I was looking at either the 497, or the 212. The 212 is closed, but people say it's very bassy, so I dont' think my head would like that very much. The 497 leaks out sound... so I guess I better keep whatever I'm listening to relatively low.... no late night pr0n. haha :D

On the NCIX website it says there are more than 10 in stock, but can't check where unless you call them or go down to their store. If I do head down that way, and can check, I'll post here.

that'd be awesome if you could check. they still haven't approved the pricematch. I guess if nothing happens by tuesday or so next week I'm going to email them and ask what's going on.

Stinn said:
that'd be awesome if you could check. they still haven't approved the pricematch. I guess if nothing happens by tuesday or so next week I'm going to email them and ask what's going on.

Keep this thread updated if possible; I'd really like to know.

i got mine from ecost and their borderfree option.

it works okay unless you need to return/exchange stuff

that's the problem with ecost. I had ordered the 555's from them a while back but I never noticed the icon indicating that is WASN'T in stock. I hate their damn icons. I ended up cancelling my order after 2 weeks of waiting. Plus the fact that you really can't return anything to them was the other downer.

Stinn said:

Ok, was at NCIX today to pick up an order, and their online systems says they have more than 10 spread out among between their retail shops, head office, and warehouse.

So I think it's the price matching that's the delay, once that's done, order processing is at most a day if you pay by CC.

just to keep this up-to-date, today they approved the pricematch and verified they were in stock. the only thing left is for them to put it in a box and ship it.

dmxlite:thanks for the info

No prob. They also have an ink cartridge sale if you're using canon or epson.

I'll probably order a pair later.... too much stuff I want, not enough money to get them.

When you get them post back. Let me know how they sound.

Stinn said:
just to keep this up-to-date, today they approved the pricematch and verified they were in stock. the only thing left is for them to put it in a box and ship it.

dmxlite:thanks for the info

Awesome, make sure to post back when they are actually boxed and shipped. That would be a huge step. I would order them immediately if I knew they were in stock for sure.

In the mean time to tie me over, I picked up some Shure E2C ear plugs, awesome little devils, but expensive to import.

Order processing is done, the only thing left is for shipping. They say it can take 24 hours after they ship to email you a notification of it though. I'll let you know when I get a shipping note and when i receive them.

they shipped yesterday so maybe I'll see them tomorrow.
I guess if anyone was on the fence about ordering them you can probably do it, Adango I'm looking at you ;)

Stinn said:
they shipped yesterday so maybe I'll see them tomorrow.
I guess if anyone was on the fence about ordering them you can probably do it, Adango I'm looking at you ;)

Just put my order in. I didn't pricematch it though, but I'm fine with that.

ycchan said:
lol and then they rape you with duties and taxes :(

No. Duty is not applicable if you use the postal service, and you only have to pay GST, PST, and a $5.00 handling fee. Often times I'm able to pursuade the store to undervalue my items, and I pay almost nothing at all. All it cost was $25 on a combined shipment of Sennheiser HD600's and Byerdynamic DT770 Pro's, where the MSRP was like $650 USD or something to that effect.

OTL said:
www.musiciansgear.com, located in Germany.

Canadian dealer markup on high-end audio components is ridiculous, so I don't buy any domestically.
I'm not so sure on that, the HD497's from them are 62EUR which converts to $100.99CDN, I paid less than that shipped for them from NCIX with this price match.
Minidisc-canada.com sells the HD650's for 507.85CDN, Musiciansgear charges 322EUR which converts to 524.47CDN.
However it does sound like you did well on the taxes and duties.

btw, i got my 497's today, however i didn't have a chance to listen to them at lunch I just hooked and up and turned on some music to start the burn in process

Stinn said:
I'm not so sure on that, the HD497's from them are 62EUR which converts to $100.99CDN, I paid less than that shipped for them from NCIX with this price match.
Minidisc-canada.com sells the HD650's for 507.85CDN, Musiciansgear charges 322EUR which converts to 524.47CDN.
However it does sound like you did well on the taxes and duties.

My total is coming to $448 CDN for HD650's after conversion, and $86.26 for the HD497's. Are you selecting an option that includes "excluding German tax" from the drop down menu? VAT is not applied to orders outside Europe.

Regards.

OTL said:
My total is coming to $448 CDN for HD650's after conversion, and $86.26 for the HD497's. Are you selecting an option that includes "excluding German tax" from the drop down menu? VAT is not applied to orders outside Europe.

Regards.
my bad, I never noticed the german tax thing. $86+shipping is still going to work out pretty close +/- what I paid.

Back