can someone help me troubleshoot connecting a mac to my PCs on my network?

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
my gf just moved in and she has a mac, OSX 10.6.8 i think it was. when i go to "network" nothing comes up. when i go to "connect to server" and type smb:// and then the server's ip address, it says "see administrator" and doesnt connect. i have never used a mac and have no idea what to do. it is connected on the 2.4GHz band to my router, and my server is plugged into the router. i want her to be able to see all my movies and tv shows and stream them from her computer. im tired of her having to borrow my laptop. :D TIA.

Do you see any connection/ authentication attempts on your file server when you try to connect from the Mac? Sounds to me like there's either an authentication or communication issue preventing the Mac from accessing your movies etc.

try cifs instead of smb

tried cifs:// and then the IP address and same thing.

Do you see any connection/ authentication attempts on your file server when you try to connect from the Mac? Sounds to me like there's either an authentication or communication issue preventing the Mac from accessing your movies etc.

no i dont. where would i see these? i dont think its authentication, i think it just isnt seeing the PCs at all. could it be because its on the 2.4GHz band of my router? for some reason it wont connect to the 5GHz band, perhaps its old enough it doesnt support it. it is a fairly old macbook.

What Windows version? Win 7? Is sharing enabled?

yeah win 7 x86 professional. sharing is enabled and i can share between my htpc/server and my gaming rig and my laptop just fine, all win 7. also with my roommate's win 7 laptop. but i cant see any of those 4 PCs from my gf's mac laptop. i'm sure it's just some simple setting somewhere but i havent used a mac since like 1998. :p

OK can you ping the win 7 machine from the Mac?

If you need steps on how to do this on the Mac:

- open spotlight top right hand corner magnifying glass
- type terminal
- once terminal window opens try to ping your PC and see if you get a reply.

Let me know how it goes I'm a Mac user will try to help you out ;)

what do you type to ping the PC? sorry im pretty beginner for this stuff, just a lowly hardware enthusiast.

No worries. Once the Terminal.app is open on the Mac type,

ping ipaddress of the PC

Replace everything in RED with the actual IP of the PC...if it can reach the PC you'll get a reply..it will look like this

joshu-mba:~ joshu$ ping 192.168.83.1
PING 192.168.83.1 (192.168.83.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.83.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=3.772 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.83.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=4.160 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.83.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=4.077 ms

Back