Can my current setup support 460gtx or 470gtx SLI? (Corsair 620HX)

Davido

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I know there’s another post similar to this, but I just wanted to make sure my current setup would be able to run a eyefinity or nvidia surround configuration (3x 16:10 monitors). I currently do not want to build a new computer, so I was looking at my options to either purchasing a used Radeon 5850 or 2x 460gtx or 2x 470gtx(overkill). I would prefer to go with nvidia for the long run, but I currently do not have a SLI capable motherboard. If my PSU is capable of supporting the 2x 460gtx or 2x 470gtx, I may try to find a cheap SLI motherboard that supports a Q6600. What would be the cheapest and most efficient solution? Also what replacement motherboard would you guys recommend if I go the SLI route? Please let me know what you guys think... Thanks!!!

Current Setup
LG L246WP-BN
2x Dell 2407WFP
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Intel C2Q Q6600 @ 3.0ghz
ABIT IP35 LGA 775 Intel P35
Crucial Ballistix 4GB (DDR 800)
EVGA 260 GTX Core 192
150GB WD1500HLFS VelociRaptor
2x WD Caviar WD5000AAKS
Corsair CMPSU-620HX
Logitech Z-5500
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G9 Mouse
Swiftech H20-120 Compact Water Cooler

Last edited:
I think for your system, SLI 470s would be a stretch. You should be able to do SLI 460s though, as long as you don't start adding hard drives by the dozens.

Your current CPU or even a Q6600 will be a major bottleneck for the SLI system you are proposing.

I actually have the Q6600. Didn't realize that wasn't posted. Would it bottleneck by alot?

Any motherboard recommendations?
I wouldn't recommend SLI altogether with an LGA775 setup. There aren't any truly good boards because they all use shoddy nVidia chipsets. I think you'd be better off upgrading to an LGA1156 or LGA1366 platform first if you do intend to go SLI.

Ok! Damn you just broke my heart with that statement. I didn't want to get a new pc until sometime next year because I get a sweet employee discount. Do you think I should get a radeon 5850 to hold me down for a year or the performance isn't worth the cash?

wait what, why not just try one gtx 470 and then buy another down the line. The gtx 470 will blow away most games.

Ok! Damn you just broke my heart with that statement. I didn't want to get a new pc until sometime next year because I get a sweet employee discount. Do you think I should get a radeon 5850 to hold me down for a year or the performance isn't worth the cash?

Yeah You should get a good high end card now, and then when you upgrade the rest of your system later you can add another one for SLI on the cheap.

Besides, no Intel chipset for LGA 775 supports SLI at all. Only NVIDIA motherboard chipsets for that socket do. And NVIDIA motherboard chipsets for Intel platforms suffer from many compatibility issues.

Also, there were three versions of the IP35 available: the IP35 Pro (which had two PCI-e x16-length slots which operated in an imbalanced x16/x4 mode) and the plain IP35 and the IP35-E (which had only one PCI-e x16 slot).

Thus, if you have the plain IP35, you cannot use two PCI-e x16 cards at all without major slot modifications.

Last edited:
Back