Can I Y-Cable Component Cables?

riggs58

Limp Gawd
I just bought a used Nintendo GameCube and PS2, and a new Vdigi VD-Z3 VGA transcoder to hook up to my CRT monitor. The VD-Z3 only allows for a single device component connection. I'm largey illiterate when it comes to cables, but can I split the component cables so I can hook up both the Gamecube and PS2 to the transcoder at the same time?

You could hypothetically, though of course you'd get weird shit(tm) when both signals going through at the same time, and also, depending on the quality of said Y-Adapters, you could suffer some signal loss.

You might want to invest a quality RCA switch from monoprice.com.

Thanks for the info. But would I really need an RCA switch though, since the signal going through would be either/or - as I wouldn't have both consoles ON at the same time.

Yeah it might work but I don't see how. And that's the whole point of the device switchers. Plus if you ever got another system or a computer for instance you could fire that up through that switch too. It's just a good investment if your tv doesn't have the proper amount of inputs.

I ran my PS3 and 360 through y-cables so I could have both hooked up at the same time and even though only one would be on at a time the signal was very degraded, picture was darker and color was slightly off. I went back to switching plugs because it looked so bad, until I picked up a new TV with more inputs.

Thanks for the replys. I think I might just be content with switching the cables according to what console I want to play. I thought I might be able to just Y-cable each component input on the VGA transcoder but it doesn't seem like I can, at least not keeping the same high-quality.

Thanks for the heads up on link to the Splitter, pixelbender . At first glance it looked like just what I needed, but like you said, it just splits (1) signal into (2).

Also, I think my thread title was a bit misleading. I was not looking to "split" the component cables coming out of the Gamecube and PS2. I was really asking if I could use Y-adapters on the component inputs on the VGA transcoder to allow both consoles to be hooked up to it at the same time, since it only allows a single component device hook-up.

I had to sign in to save this poor man. That is a SPLITTER. It is not a router, switch, alternator, combiner, etc.

It takes 1 signal and splits it in 2. Pete's sake it even says in the description that it DOES NOT do what the OP wants.

I have had my DTV & X360 plugged into ONE component input on my TV...! It works flawlessly and only has a problem if both are on at the same time. Continue Saving away... ;)

Thanks for the replys. I think I might just be content with switching the cables according to what console I want to play. I thought I might be able to just Y-cable each component input on the VGA transcoder but it doesn't seem like I can, at least not keeping the same high-quality.

Thanks for the heads up on link to the Splitter, pixelbender . At first glance it looked like just what I needed, but like you said, it just splits (1) signal into (2).

Run two component cables to the back of your tv. Plug them into the "splitter" and plug the "splitter" into the tv. It works or it does for me...

Back