can i jus do this?

wayne

2[H]4U
lets say i want to go to a local lanparty....do i just sign up, and go even if they dont even know me?

am i just gonna get let in?, or is there something like u gotta know some of the people or you gotta be over an age limit or something?

thanks

Most local LANS will allow signup at the door if there is space for a slightly higher fee and the only way you are going to meet other gamers is to sign up and go to the parties. Most LANs have a specific set of rules for each party and age group. :cool:

so you're saying that the hosts of most public lanparties pretty much have absolutely no idea who is going and what kinda personality these people have?

isnt that kinda dangerous?.....what if some crazy gamer comes in and gets violent?...and pulls out something????

Most of the smaller LANs are made up of groups of people who know each other and bring a friend who brings a friend...yada, yada. The larger LANs where you register and go unknown to anyone would fall into your description, but the larger ones have a staff that will be more than happy to help someone back out of the door if they break the standing rules. LANs are probably the safest form of recreation there is unless you consider being in a small room with a bunch of over-caffinated geek gameboi's (and occasional geek girl gamer) a threat to your security. The worst thing you can get at a LAN is a virus :p

so a "public" lanparty is almost like a walkin where advanced registration is occassionally required

but a "private" lanparty depends on how the hosts plans it

correct me if i m wrong?

Pretty much on target. All of the LANs are run and organized differently, so you will have to check beforehand as to the rules and requirements prior to registration or showing up at the door.

I'll chime in here...

Since I run a Geek / LAN group that hosts monthly gatherings, we get new people all the time. If the LAN you are looking at is publicly advertised, such as flyers or a website - it's pretty much open to everyone. Some will have age limits and such based on what's going on. Our regular events are open to all ages, in fact have entire familes that come.

For the most part (I've seen very few exceptions) - LAN hosts are very open and will answer any question you may have. Granted, many of the people there will know each other, but they won't make you feel like an outsider. Geeks and gamers really like to socialize. Yah, you'll run into an annoying peep here and there, but that's true with life in general

If the LAN you are looking at going to has a web site, look for thier rules / guidelines. If you have any questions, shoot off an email to the organizers.

The main reason we LAN is get more gamers involved and to meet one another - check them out, sign up and go. Unless it's a "leet clan" that plays one and only one game hosting, you will be fine.

Peace,
Tim

Originally posted by wayne
so you're saying that the hosts of most public lanparties pretty much have absolutely no idea who is going and what kinda personality these people have?

isnt that kinda dangerous?.....what if some crazy gamer comes in and gets violent?...and pulls out something????

I'm pretty sure there's at least a couple admins/guys from the crowd to suppress one person's rage.

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy
I'm pretty sure there's at least a couple admins/guys from the crowd to suppress one person's rage.

We've yet to toss anyone out, but have had to "talk" to one or two about getting a "too personal". maturity is about 95% of it. Some of the 14 yo's that come to my LANs are more mature than some of the 25 yo's... everyone is different.

approximately how long does it take to set up the networking stuff?.. and how hard is it?

also how long does it take approximately for the guests to set up their hardware and computers?

approximately how long does it take to set up the networking stuff?.. and how hard is it?

also how long does it take approximately for the guests to set up their hardware and computers?

Well.... the stock answer is "It depends". For the events I run, my staff and I can have the network (60 seats plus 4 servers) set up and the power ran in about and hour, 90 minutes if we screw off or want to try a different table set up. Difficulty is decreases each time you do it - the first time in a new space, you end up moving tables about and trying different things. It also depends on if you are going to run all the patch cables (which we do) or make the peeps bring thier own (bad idea). I think it takes longer to tape all the power cords and such down in the traffic areas. Preplanning the layout helps, and know ing what your power circuits are is vital - trust me, power outages are no fun.

To set up a computer? About 2 min with a lappy, and once they haul a tower system in, 5 to 10 minutes.

Peace,
Tim

Originally posted by somecallmeTim
Well.... the stock answer is "It depends". For the events I run, my staff and I can have the network (60 seats plus 4 servers) set up and the power ran in about and hour, 90 minutes if we screw off or want to try a different table set up. Difficulty is decreases each time you do it - the first time in a new space, you end up moving tables about and trying different things. It also depends on if you are going to run all the patch cables (which we do) or make the peeps bring thier own (bad idea). I think it takes longer to tape all the power cords and such down in the traffic areas. Preplanning the layout helps, and know ing what your power circuits are is vital - trust me, power outages are no fun.

To set up a computer? About 2 min with a lappy, and once they haul a tower system in, 5 to 10 minutes.

Peace,
Tim
wow

what about the software parts for the network?....like the IP address configurations and all.... how long does that take to set up if it runs smoothly?, what if UNsmoothly?

wow

what about the software parts for the network?....like the IP address configurations and all.... how long does that take to set up if it runs smoothly?, what if UNsmoothly?

We have one box running Win2003 server that has the DHCP server up and running for IPs. With less than 30, you might be able to set the IPs manually, it's a pain but can be done.

If you dont' have a server with DHCP, we used to use 602 software's LAN suite - the "freebie" 5 user version has a DHCP server in it that is not limited to 5 users - doesn't use a lot of resources either.

The IP issues we have ran into is when someone has their box set up for 'net sharing and the "mshome" trys to dish out IPs and some peeps were on a different set until we found the culprit.

with DHCP - as soon as they plug in and boot (provided your DHCP server is up and running0 they have an IP. I would reccomend using one, as it makes life easier in the long run.

That's really the only network app you "need" - unless you are control freak then you could set up a domain and manage the heck out of it.

have you ever run into a network problem you just cant figure out?

what do you do then?

or does everything go as planned?

how do YOU troubleshoot?

If you use a router as a hub, most of them have DHCP, it's what I use for small <10 person LAN's.

A majority of the LAN's that are open to the public, usually have a web page that includes a message board or forum area. You can register with the site for free (just like you did here) and get to know some of the people through the boards, then when they host an event, register and go have some fun.....that is how I got into LAN'ing. Trust me.....after you go to 2 or 3 events hosted by a particular group, you will make a bunch of new friends, and will find out about other local LAN parties as well. You might even find yourself getting invited to some private parties also. Now, get out there and have some fun!!!!! :D

yea, but i live in new york city.... i ve looked everywhere but have never seen any lan parties within a 50 mile radius of my home

i dont think nyc has a lot of lanparties....poor me:(

yea, but i live in new york city.... i ve looked everywhere but have never seen any lan parties within a 50 mile radius of my home

i dont think nyc has a lot of lanparties....poor me:(

Two things.....

1 - 50 miles is less than an hours drive. Have car, will travel.

2 - www.google.com is your friend. :D

Originally posted by Pagan Wizard
Two things.....

1 - 50 miles is less than an hours drive. Have car, will travel.

2 - www.google.com is your friend. :D
i just turned 15... no car

plus, is it really worth it to do all the packing, shipping and stuff just to play a couple hours of gaming?... i guess it is worth it if its easier than begging for an impossible ride from my parents but i think its even better till i wait till i can drive

i just turned 15... no car

plus, is it really worth it to do all the packing, shipping and stuff just to play a couple hours of gaming?... i guess it is worth it if its easier than begging for an impossible ride from my parents but i think its even better till i wait till i can drive

If you can get a friend of yours who might be 2 or 3 years older than you, or a friend who wants to go with you, and who's parents are willing to drive both of you out to the LAN, go!!!! Is it worth all the packing......just for a couple hours..........most of the LAN's that I have been to were at least 12 hours long, some have been for a solid weekend that even offered you the ability to camp out in a sleeping bag at the LAN itself for free (although I opted to sleep at a hotel). Most public LAN's also require that at least the minors fill out a parental consent form signed by your parent or guardian as well. Like I have said to you before, once you go, you will want to keep going......LAN parties are very fun, and you will also meet a ton of new friends.

Back