Can I install Win7pro 64 bit like this ?

Dantrax

Gawd
I have Raid enabled in bios. I have 3 single raid enabled HDDs. 1 hdd with vista 64bit, 1 hdd with xp pro 32bit, & 1 hdd with win7 rc 64bit. I want to install win7 pro 64bit, to a single raid enabled Ocz vertex turbo 60gb ssd, and use my hdd, as a D drive for storage & program installs. Is this possible with raid enabled ? I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this with raid enabled. Or would I only be able to extend the C drive ssd to use the hdd area as an extension of C drive.

It doesn't sound like you have any RAID arrays - why do you want to enable RAID mode?

There are two steps to using RAID. First, you configure your physical drives into an array. That array then shows up as a single drive to Windows. You can then partition that drive into multiple volumes if you wish. The options available for the array will depend on your RAID controller.

It doesn't sound like you have any RAID arrays - why do you want to enable RAID mode?

There are two steps to using RAID. First, you configure your physical drives into an array. That array then shows up as a single drive to Windows. You can then partition that drive into multiple volumes if you wish. The options available for the array will depend on your RAID controller.

Thanx, I wanted to add another 750 in raid1 later & maybe even another ssd, & dump vista. If I went with ahci I wudn't have that option. I'm just using the intel ich10r raid controller. I was going to back up my win7 stuff to my vista hdd, then use wd dlg to write zeros to wd750 hdd & ntfs format it, then unplug all hdd & install win7 with raid enabled to only the ssd, then I will add the 750 back into the mix. I just wanted to know, b4 ordering the ssd, if my best laid plans might have a chance of success.

Thanx, I wanted to add another 750 in raid1 later & maybe even another ssd, & dump vista. If I went with ahci I wudn't have that option. I'm just using the intel ich10r raid controller. I was going to back up my win7 stuff to my vista hdd, then use wd dlg to write zeros to wd750 hdd & ntfs format it, then unplug all hdd & install win7 with raid enabled to only the ssd, then I will add the 750 back into the mix. I just wanted to know, b4 ordering the ssd, if my best laid plans might have a chance of success.

What?

Typically you would run IDE or AHCI mode with single drives and change it to RAID mode only when running an array. Are you sure you fully grasp what the various BIOS settings mean, or am I misunderstanding you? :confused:

What?

Typically you would run IDE or AHCI mode with single drives and change it to RAID mode only when running an array. Are you sure you fully grasp what the various BIOS settings mean, or am I misunderstanding you? :confused:

I F6 installed raid drivers for all OSs to have the option of a raid array later. Now if I switch back to configure IDE as AHCI, instead of Raid, the Bios boots OK but Windows BSODs. Unless I can find a work-around, I'll have to do a reinstall of at least XP in AHCI. I'm not to concerned about Vista, (I just need to get my files off the drive) & I will be reinstalling 7 anyway so it's not a big deal. I wonder if Win7 in AHCI, will see a raid HDD to make file transfer easier from my vista hdd. Then I'll blank the vista hdd & use it 4 an internal back-up HDD. Thanx 4 ur help

I F6 installed raid drivers for all OSs to have the option of a raid array later. Now if I switch back to configure IDE as AHCI, instead of Raid, the Bios boots OK but Windows BSODs. Unless I can find a work-around, I'll have to do a reinstall of at least XP in AHCI. I'm not to concerned about Vista, (I just need to get my files off the drive) & I will be reinstalling 7 anyway so it's not a big deal. I wonder if Win7 in AHCI, will see a raid HDD to make file transfer easier from my vista hdd. Then I'll blank the vista hdd & use it 4 an internal back-up HDD. Thanx 4 ur help

Did you configure the hard drive as a single drive RAID array? A hard drive itself isn't "RAID" or "not RAID".

If you disable RAID in the BIOS, then it can't load a RAID array, meaning nothing could see the data on your array.

Your issue with XP is that it doesn't include SATA controller drivers. Just as you had to use F6 to install the RAID controller drivers, you also need to use F6 to install the plain SATA controller drivers. There are some workarounds for installing RAID drivers without having to reinstall. Those should apply to your situation as well, you just need to use the regular SATA drivers rather than the RAID drivers. I've never had to use these tricks myself, but it might be a little harder since you're booting off the controller in one mode and trying to install the drivers for its other mode.

They're listed as non-raid hdds. I configured no raid arrays. The only thing I'm concerned about now is getting my data off the other 2 hdds. I'll set up Win7 on the ssd & hdd with AHCI enabled instead of raid. Then I hope explorer will see them when I plug them in after booting to win7. It'll make for easier copying of my crap.

There is zero reason to enable raid in this case. Win7 will detect the drives fine with AHCI.

There is zero reason to enable raid in this case. Win7 will detect the drives fine with AHCI.

Thanx but now I'm confused. Isn't AHCI & Raid the same as far as ncq, hot-swap, etc. go ? Except that the raid drivers give you the option to create a raid array with additional hdds for a different type of performance boost. So even if I do not create a raid array, my hdds should still get the AHCI (ncq) benefits from the raid drivers ? Is this correct ? Even though I have not created a raid array. Or is using the raid drivers w/o a raid array kind of like driver overkill ?

Last edited:
Back