Can I do this with a video tuner card?

vengence

Level capped
I recently got an Xbox 360 from my In-laws for christmas. Seems my wife enjoys it as much as I do, and thus I havn't been able to watch much TV. What I would like to do is get a video tuner card and set it up so I could just run a cable from my AT&T U-verse box to my computer and have the signal displayed on my second monitor. I have no experiance with tuner cards, but I would assume that live viewing of the signal is possible. I am running the comp in the sig with a pair of 8800 GTS (G92/512). I havn't had my second monitor hooked up since I started using SLI, and I never dusted it off after the latest drivers came out to support multimonitor SLI. Does anyone know if you can have the second monitor hooked up with a live feed from a tuner card, all while playing a game (CoD4 or whatever) on the primary?

The easiest way to do this is to send the output from the U-Verse box directly into the monitor, assuming you have the necessary connections. You could use a HDMI or component switcher to select whether to output U-Verse to your TV or monitor.

You could also add a tuner/capture card and output the U-Verse box into that. The issue is that some games disable your second monitor if you run them fullscreen, so you'd have to run them in a window or find a way around that.

Also, either way, you will still have to select your channels through the U-Verse box, either with the remote or using an IR blasting setup from your PC.

Hmm.. Ok. What would it take to convert the component (or composit, it outputs both) to either VGA or DVI? I was looking at the tuner card so I could record stuff as well, but maybe just feeding it directly to the monitor is a better idea.

Do you have HD service? If so, you could use a Hauppauge HD-PVR to record on your PC. It would take the component output from your STB, and also handle the IR blasting for changing the channel from the PC.

If not, a regular tuner card can take the composite, S-video, or coax output from the STB. Some will also handle the IR vlasting.

For inputting directly into the monitor, does your box output HDMI? If so, a HDMI->DVI cable should work (your monitor may need to be HDCP compliant). If not, you'd need a box to convert component to VGA or DVI.

Back