Can anyone with the Strix GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB check a physical detail for me?

oblongpolygon

Weaksauce
Taking a close look at the card earlier today, I noticed something really strange.

I'm not sure what names to give the features that I'm describing, so I'll just do it "intuitively"...

Basically, where the card connects with the mobo, there are a whole lot of gold teeth, or pins, or connectors. Let's say that there are 100 of these teeth, or pins or whatever.

All of the gold teeth are the same length, except for the 99th tooth (the second last tooth) which is only half height!

So, teeth 1 - 98 are full height, then the 99th tooth is half height, then the 100th is full height again.

Is... this normal? Or... has half of the 99th connector been broken off, during installation or something?!

The 99th tooth is near the back of the card - so, the 99th pin is at the end of the card that is furthest from the HDMI / DP port and so on.

Yes, it's normal on any video card. This is the official product image:
upload_2018-3-6_8-39-44.png

If you look on the back you will see that the last pin is half height as well.

Yes, it's normal on any video card.

Oh, wow!

Yes, there it is! That same "half-tooth" thing. Okay, I am really relieved.

Many thanks for finding this image, for me, and for confirming that the card is okay.

I looked online for closeup shots of the card, but didn't find anything so large / zoomed in.

Thanks, Armenius. I'm new around here, but I realise now that I can give you a (y) "like" to make my thanks actually count.

They are called "fingers"

That's what the golden conductors are called.

The "half height" part of the card's connector is used to make sure the card doesn't fall out of the slot. It locks into the motherboard, and you have to press the release mechanism before you can remove it from the slot.

Last edited:
Back