Can an underpowered GPU cause system crashing?

Straypuft

Limp Gawd
I have an MSI GTX 560ti-hawk(bought in feb 2012), along with a BFG 550w PSU(bought in 2009).

I recently noticed on my video cards box that it requires a minimum of 600w.

Could this explain why I can game for ~20 mins before my computer crashes to the point where i need(have) to unplug the PSU and make sure that there is no more juice in the system before i can even turn it back on?

Those minimum are generally CYA measures by GPU companies. A good quality 550W PSU would be enough for that GPU.

However, BFG did have some low quality PSUs when it was still in existence. It would also be a defective GPU as well. So what BFG 550W PSU do you have?

Yeah that BFG was one of the low quality ones. The Corsair PSU you bought is fine.

Though was the system always unstable with that video card? Have you tested that video card in another PC?

I do not have another PC to test it in, I was able to play other non-graphics intensive games, the only games i have had trouble with were Microsoft Flight and more recently because I just got it, Civilizations V.

I can play World Of tanks fine for a long time, another of my favorites is 911-First Responders, Just Cause 2 I can play for an extended amount of time as well.

If it does end up being just a bad video card, I wouldnt upgrade until after I put together my next pc, if that happens any time soon.

Figures that this BFG is low end, I got it at fricken Best buy lol

I should also mention the the few times I tried using MSI Kombuster, the same thing would happen where I would have to unplug the power supply for a few moments and hit the power button on my computer til all of the internal lights go dark before having to plug it back in and power up.

Right before it the system shuts down, do you notice any artifacting, or any other weird graphical glitches? Or does it just shut down?

Back