Camelot Unchained - New MMO Kickstarter Project

Great news on the new investor. Beta 1 date is supposed to be announced soon, too. 2019 release date so they have plenty of time to test.

I don't follow this game daily, but I do check in on it every few months. I don't recall ever reading they ran out of money. Did they not announce they ran out until after they received new funding? This seems to be out of no where.

I don't follow this game daily, but I do check in on it every few months. I don't recall ever reading they ran out of money. Did they not announce they ran out until after they received new funding? This seems to be out of no where.
They never ran out. This is a new investment that will speed up the development.

Yeah they had a budget and then someone kicked in, gave, invested, etc., more money so now they can add more people to help make things go faster.

They ran out of the initial Kickstarter money but Mark Jacobs hasn't been taking a salary all these years and has been pitching in his own money the entire time. They state several times in the various interviews and livestreams they had enough cash reserves to still release the game were it not for this new investment, but it would be at a slower pace than they would be happy with.

It was always, from the kickstarter, the case that Mark Jacobs was putting money in as well as an investor. The kickstarter was partially to see if there was enough interest to make the game. However Jacobs did put in more later. This new investor has basically doubled CU's total budget, which is only a good thing for anyone who is interested in the game.

Doubled the total budget? Interesting. Did they ever say what their total budget was to begin with? Just curious. I havent been keeping up with it too much.

Doubled the total budget? Interesting. Did they ever say what their total budget was to begin with? Just curious. I havent been keeping up with it too much.
Since Mark Jacobs and his sister were the backup source of funding I'm not sure there was ever a specific cap they had devoted towards development.

Oh.... jokes. lol

Gotcha

26f5d51a09fa0543833eace60a1bd66d.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is still going on?

Tsk.

Yeah I wonder about the end result I sorta pay attention to the streams they have daily we'll find out in a year or more. I just wish the game had PVE that really made DAOC the game it was. I don't know if they thought it was boring to have PVE but basically that was the fun part.

Last edited:
Yeah I wonder about the End result I sorta pay attention to the streams they have daily we'll find out in a year or more. I just wish the game had PVE that really made DAOC the game it was. I don't know if they thought it was boring to have PVE but basically that was the fun part.

Ah, Mark said a number of times that having classical PvE would be awesome - just it's extremely expensive. To offer any kind of quality PvE even close to the AAA level, they'd have to somehow, magically, triple or quadriple their budget.

Briefly, what they will NOT have are quests and instances (instanced dungeons), and there'll be all other PvE forms - including Darkness Falls like dungeon, The Depths. Of course, majority of people sees quests & dungeons as the very definition of PvE, so "there is none" for them.

Anyway, you can check CU Wiki on PvE for a bunch of details about it all - https://camelot.gamepedia.com/PvE_in_Camelot_Unchained

Ah, Mark said a number of times that having classical PvE would be awesome - just it's extremely expensive. To offer any kind of quality PvE even close to the AAA level, they'd have to somehow, magically, triple or quadriple their budget.

Briefly, what they will NOT have are quests and instances (instanced dungeons), and there'll be all other PvE forms - including Darkness Falls like dungeon, The Depths. Of course, majority of people sees quests & dungeons as the very definition of PvE, so "there is none" for them.

Anyway, you can check CU Wiki on PvE for a bunch of details about it all - https://camelot.gamepedia.com/PvE_in_Camelot_Unchained

I really liked they way it was done in DAOC just garbage mobs in a dungeon or hanging out on a hill with stones. THE AI wasn't the best but I couldn't see it being that hard to implement let alone expensive I mean they spent way over budget just to get where they are. I know games that were produced with a limited budget like Forsaken Uprising was and it was pretty darn good.

I really liked they way it was done in DAOC just garbage mobs in a dungeon or hanging out on a hill with stones. THE AI wasn't the best but I couldn't see it being that hard to implement let alone expensive I mean they spent way over budget just to get where they are. I know games that were produced with a limited budget like Forsaken Uprising was and it was pretty darn good.

My thoughts were that I am likely just going to purchase both Pantheon and Camelot Unchained. Play Pantheon for the PVE Camelot Unchained for the PVP. Thus getting the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, these are the words from the man himself. DAoC was indeed made for $2.42M (without marketing budget, which was ~$600k or something close to that), but those were different times, and when we speak of MMO standards and money, very much different. Also, EVE online was made for couple millions too - there somewhere around the millenium.

Today, these numbers mean absolutely nothing, budgetwise they are somewhere on the level of shoestring-peanut. Coding and implementing solid mob AIs requires much more, no matter how trivial it seems from the outside.

It's not that they aren't working on NPCs at all so I hope people out of the loop don't get that idea from this thread. It's more that
1) NPCs play a much smaller role in the world than they do in most MMORPGs and
2) NPCs don't provide experience/skills to players - they are mostly obstacles and/or sources of crafting materials.

They have made it very clear the NPCs guarding The Depths will be a group challenge to players and defeating them means getting deeper in and accessing better resource nodes for crafting. So technically, you could focus your gametime on activities like that but the big downside is that unless you also PvP, you won't be getting the skill rewards from the King.

They making any significant progress on this game? Its been a while since I heard anything.

I wasn't looking for secrets. Just wondered if they had said anything publicly lately?

Beta footage? Someone said the rubber banding is insane. Even though I backed the game I don't even think I'll play it. DAOC looks loads better just because the movement was realistic that was 17 years ago.

Beta footage? Someone said the rubber banding is insane. Even though I backed the game I don't even think I'll play it. DAOC looks loads better just because the movement was realistic that was 17 years ago.

It's still in alpha testing... beta hasn't even started yet. And these aren't just marketing terms like most are nowadays for "beta demo, come check it out one day before we launch!", but actual alpha and beta testing. It isn't due out until 2019, and I doubt until the second half of the year. If you backed the game, you should know that already... :rolleyes:. It's all on the Camelot Unchained forums and the devs are quite active there.

I watch the streams I have Beta access just wondering if it will be ironed out by then. All the footage in game I seen looks like a bunch of kids trying to get a life.

As a huge fan of DAoC and even decent enjoyment from Warhammer, I'm glad I did not back based on what I am seeing.

That isn't rubberbanding you are seeing.. they are using abilities that create an AOE knockback effect. Yeah, it could use some associated animations to make it clearer what is happening but this is kind of the point of why they didn't want to release alpha footage... Always plenty of people ready to misinterpret and make up their minds forever on a game.

That isn't rubberbanding you are seeing.. they are using abilities that create an AOE knockback effect. Yeah, it could use some associated animations to make it clearer what is happening but this is kind of the point of why they didn't want to release alpha footage... Always plenty of people ready to misinterpret and make up their minds forever on a game.
This. Seriously people should have learned that by now...

I like where this game is headed. I sold off my Crowfall pledge as I think CU will be the better game.

The three MMORGP's I have pledged to and am most excited about:

1. Star Citizen
2. Pantheon
3. Camelot Unchained

I agree with you on #1 and #3 Vega. Not familiar with #2 but I have heard of its name.

Back