Calling all Shuttle Pilots: I want an SFF but which to choose - SN41 or SN45?

DevilDoc

2[H]4U
So I've seen a few people get decent overclocks with this hardware, but I'm trying to figure out which one is the best for my needs. I've got most of the ingredients for a pretty schweet SFF, I just need the chassis/mobo itself.

Parts I've got:
Unlocked Barton AthlonXP 2500+
2 x 512MB PC3200 Mushkin Dual Pack Black RAM
2 x 120GB WD SE PATA drives

For the parts that I have, would it be best to get the SN45 or SN41. My preferences lean toward the SN45, as it doesn't have the onboard video.

If the shuttle I go with does have video on board, I'd use that while waiting to get an ATI card. My current video is a 32MB GF2GTS and I'm going to upgrade before Doom3/HL2 come out.

Links screwed up

SN45 b/c:

-more overclockable
-cheaper (no need to pay for on board video unless you are going to use it)
-quieter (passive northbridge)
-G1 case

agentzero9 said:
SN45 b/c:

-more overclockable
-cheaper (no need to pay for on board video unless you are going to use it)
-quieter (passive northbridge)
-G1 case

sn45ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Okay, what's the difference between the SN45 and the SN45G... or the G2V2 for that matter... other than the 250W PSU.

DevilDoc said:
Okay, what's the difference between the SN45 and the SN45G... or the G2V2 for that matter... other than the 250W PSU.

diff. case and on board video. thats all i can think of.

SN45 is short for SN45g---
the SN45gV2 is exactly the same, but has the 250w silentX

SN41G2V2 -- alum face, can come in either black or silver, onboard video, doesnt officially support 400fsb, blah blah

Azn226 said:
diff. case and on board video. thats all i can think of.

paulmofyourhand said:
SN45 is short for SN45g---
the SN45gV2 is exactly the same, but has the 250w silentX

SN41G2V2 -- alum face, can come in either black or silver, onboard video, doesnt officially support 400fsb, blah blah

Thanks guys, I figured the G2V2 is just versioning info, and I intend buying one with a 250W PSU. I've been looking around the web, and only see the SN45 in the silver. The layout's okay, but I prefer the looks of the black one myself. Maybe I'll get it powdercoated black.

I forget what FSB my CPU can go up to. I think it's only rated for 333. Didn't write the codes down when I installed it in my current rig, but I know it's a pre week 39 barton core. That I'm positive of.

Wrong.

Grab the SN41G2v2. Looks better (IMHO) than the 45. It DOES support 400fsb officially. It overclocks MUCH better than the v1 (which I have....this one doesnt support 400fsb officially. Id be running 400 if my ram wasnt GEIL RAWR!)

Just a word of caution, do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT touch the vdimm in the bios. It will INSTANTLY kill your box. With BOTH The SN45G and the SN41G2.

MechWarrior said:
Wrong.
Just a word of caution, do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT touch the vdimm in the bios. It will INSTANTLY kill your box. With BOTH The SN45G and the SN41G2.

Don't make it sound like a universal problem, SN45G rev1's are fine, rev2's fry. I adjust mine every now and then to piss off my friend who has a rev2.

I think that v1 SN41G2's don't have the problem either, but I'm not too sure.

Oh, and don't you love Shuttle's BIOS "fix"? THey just removed the feature, lol

If he's buying a new Shuttle, it's going to be a rev2. Also, rev1 SN41G2's didn't have any o/c options to mess with.

the@ntipop said:
If he's buying a new Shuttle, it's going to be a rev2. Also, rev1 SN41G2's didn't have any o/c options to mess with.

Yup. Just some ram timings and FSB :( I cant pump up my geil ram so i cant hit 400fsb with em even though they are 3200 :(

Yup, I vote for the SN45Gv2 as it also has the embeded MCP-T sound onboard where as (I believe) the 41 only has the the Realtek MCP. Also, the SN45 uses the newer Nforce2Ultra chipset vs. the Nforce2. The Nforce2 WILL hit 400Mhz, its just not "officially" supported.

Shuttle does have an SN41G2v2 out with the 250watt SilentX PSU as well. It just comes down to preference on the G1 vs. G2 case and the embedded sound (if you plan to use it)

-E

41 has soundstorm, newer sn41's have nforce2 ultras (i think) and they officially support 400, just not that well because apparently the igp is finnicky. 45v2's have silentx...

Back