Cablemod causing live kernel event 141

Turbosound

Limp Gawd
I finally figured out what is causing the major issue I have been having with my PC. It started about 2 months ago, I would get a black screen and the fan on my 4090 FE would go to 100%. (I didn't know it was the GPU fan until recently.) When this would happen at random, my PC was unresponsive and had to hold the power button to force a restart. At first it would only happen once in a while but then became daily.

I would leave my PC at idle and go do something else. Then, at some point I would hear the fans very loud. I started troubleshooting and found out I was getting the live kernel event 141 error by checking the reliability report. I did a lot more troubleshooting by checking my ram and hard drives. Then, I changed my GPU cable and the problem went away.

I was using the Cablemod 12vhpwr with (3) 8-pins. I changed it to (4) individual 8-pins to the Nvidia adapter.

I was using the Cablemod cable for about 6 months without any issues. Why would this just start happening for no reason? For example, I never touched the cable after originally installing it.

Can this issue cause damage to the GPU or any other component? For example, the fans could have been stuck at 100% for hours, multiple times before I noticed.

What a mess. I'm glad I know what the problem is now, but I'm still pretty pissed off about this. Cablemod said they would send me a replacement but should I even use it?

I'd use the replacement product. No one makes a perfect product, and they are standing up and fixing it for you as they should. Just keep an eye on the new one to make sure it isn't a lemon as well.

I'd use the replacement product. No one makes a perfect product, and they are standing up and fixing it for you as they should. Just keep an eye on the new one to make sure it isn't a lemon as well.
Had a random issue where my system would power down with the following event code, when I switched the GPU cables back to the EVGA supplied ones it fixed the connection issue with my white Cablemod 6 and 8 pins cables not making contact.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 6/18/2023 6:24:39 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Dan
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

In an analysis by JayzTwoCents on the problem, he did highlight a significant factor behind the CableMod connector burning issue. The 90-degree adapters are reportedly prone to a wiggling issue, making users doubt whether the connector is completely seated. This has something to do with the length of the 90-degree adapter, which is causing the wiggle as you can see below:

My 3080 Zotac EVGA PSU Cablemod set had the wiggle issue too.

https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/youtube-video-gif.gif

Can this issue cause damage to the GPU or any other component? For example, the fans could have been stuck at 100% for hours, multiple times before I noticed.

Theoretically yes, but if everything is working fine now, I wouldn't worry too much.

How old is the power supply, and what model is it?

The fans should be able to run at 100% without problem that's what they are made for.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure and didn't want to ask Cablemod for their obvious answer.

Does anyone understand why the cable would just go bad after 6 months when it was never touched? I'm not using the right angle adapter from Cablemod. My PSU is 6 months old, I got when I got the 4090. It's a EVGA 1000T2.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure and didn't want to ask Cablemod for their obvious answer.

Does anyone understand why the cable would just go bad after 6 months when it was never touched? I'm not using the right angle adapter from Cablemod. My PSU is 6 months old, I got when I got the 4090. It's a EVGA 1000T2.
I don't but it didn't have any melting? Just started having what appear to be intermittent connectivity?

I'm using both a 4 to 1 Cablemod cable, plus the 90 degree B adapter. No issues for me.

Cablemod is updating the adapters design, to incorporate the changes to the 12vhpwr spec in the new 12 2x6 connector, so chances are they are also updating the cables too.

There have been an overwhelming amount of people having this exact issue with cablemod. Please see below,
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/10oouwe/12vhpwr_cable_leading_to_black_screen_on_4090/

Has anyone received a replacement from cablemod recently? I guess this question is unimportant since the cable goes bad in time, at least in my case. Cablemod even admitted to me that their cable can go bad in time from the heating and cooling that naturally occurs. It has to do with the sense pins.

Therefore, I can get a replacement only to find my self in the same situation as before. At least, I will know what the problem is right away this time.

Has anyone found a solution without using the included Nvidia 4x8-pin adapter. Are people having the same problem with Moddiy?

There have been an overwhelming amount of people having this exact issue with cablemod. Please see below,
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/10oouwe/12vhpwr_cable_leading_to_black_screen_on_4090/

Has anyone received a replacement from cablemod recently? I guess this question is unimportant since the cable goes bad in time, at least in my case. Cablemod even admitted to me that their cable can go bad in time from the heating and cooling that naturally occurs. It has to do with the sense pins.

Therefore, I can get a replacement only to find my self in the same situation as before. At least, I will know what the problem is right away this time.

Has anyone found a solution without using the included Nvidia 4x8-pin adapter. Are people having the same problem with Moddiy?
One user in the reddit thread that encountered the issue, removed some bit of plastic and it fixed it. But I am not sure what he meant.

It's sounding like the sense pins lose contact, hopefully better metal receptacles are part of that 12-2x6 updated spec. Luckily it's something that can be fixed/updated with a new cable.

The 12V2x6-pin, will that become the new port on the 4090 FE cards? I don't understand.

The 12V2x6-pin, will that become the new port on the 4090 FE cards? I don't understand.
New 4090FE's have shorter sense pins, which is 1 visible change to the spec. I believe the answer to your question is that it already has.

Back