Cablemod 12VHPWR Causing Major Problems

Turbosound

Limp Gawd
There have been an overwhelming amount of people having the exact same issue with Cablemod 12VHPWR cables. The screen goes black and fans are stuck @100%. The only way to stop it is to hold down the power button and force a restart.

Please see below,
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/10oouwe/12vhpwr_cable_leading_to_black_screen_on_4090/

Has anyone here had this issue? If so, did you get a replacement 12VHPWR cable from Cablemod? Are you still having the same problem with the replacement cable?

I guess this question is unimportant since the cable can go bad in time, at least that what happened to me. I had my cable for about 5 months before the issue started happening. I never even touched the cable after I first installed it. Cablemod told me that their cable can go bad in time from the heating and cooling that naturally occurs. It has to do with the sense pins.

Has anyone found a solution without using the included Nvidia 4x8-pin adapter. Are people people having this issue with modDIY 12VHPWR cables?

Does your PSU maker sell a 12VHPWR cable? That's what I went with, Seasonic makes their own cables for their own PSUs and I just picked up one of theirs. I've never though that 3rd party power cables sounded like a very good idea.

No, my PSU is EVGA and they don'toffer one. Did you go with a 3x8-pin or 4x8-pin to 12VHPWR?

i saved myself the headache and 30 dollars by using the cable supplied, plug into 3x8 pins and plug the adapter into card, works good, zero issues, usually oem performs the best and more reliable

Cablemod will replace it, probably overnight shipping.

At some point they are switching to the new 12-2x6 specification, it may help address it. From Cablemods comments, users of other brands of cables, even the included adapter, can experience this.

I don't understand. Will the 12v 2x6-pin become the ports on the 4090 cards or the plug, on the power cables?

The spec makes changes to both sides of the connector. The most significant are in the cable side connector. But the card side will also get shorter sense pins, longer power pins, and those are already in use on recent 4090fe's purchased at Best Buy end of June.

12v 2x6 is backwards compatible with 12vhpwr connectors and cables. If you have a 4090 with longer sense pins on the card (12vhpwr), you can still use the new cable side connector(12v 2x6) once those become available.

Last edited:
Okay, that is very helpful. I didn't realize the 12v 2x6 spec is already present in the new 4090 FE cards.

As far as you know, there won't be anymore changes to the 12v 2x6 spec on the actual 4090 FE cards, correct?

For 4090 FE (12vhpwr) owners, do you recommend they RMA their card for a replacement 4090 FE (12v 2x6) version?

When do you think the 12v 2x6 cables will become available?

If you have a 4090 FE, what did you end up doing?

Okay, that is very helpful. I didn't realize the 12v 2x6 spec is already present in the new 4090 FE cards.

As far as you know, there won't be anymore changes to the 12v 2x6 spec on the actual 4090 FE cards, correct?

For 4090 FE (12vhpwr) owners, do you recommend they RMA their card for a replacement 4090 FE (12v 2x6) version?

NV isn't going to RMA a card just because it has the original power connector.

What is so difficult about engineering a fricken cable? We are not building a fusion reactor here! There is no excuse for this piss poor engineering, NV and every PSU OEM should be ashamed of themselves.

What is so difficult about engineering a fricken cable? We are not building a fusion reactor here! There is no excuse for this piss poor engineering, NV and every PSU OEM should be ashamed of themselves.
Engineering the cable and connector isn't the issue. The issue is accounting for the lowest common denominator. Up until 15 years ago, your average PC enthusiasts were very smart and capable, but now we have a slew of people building PCs that I wouldn't trust with figuring out how to assemble a fisher price product.

I also went with the Seasonic 12VHPWR cable for my Seasonic psu and I haven't had any issues so far. They're well made cables with high quality components. I was thinking of getting the CableMod 90 degree 12VHPWR adapter but after reported issues- I'm just going to wait it out till this gets all sorted. Hopefully the new revised connectors will solve these problems.

No, my PSU is EVGA and they don'toffer one. Did you go with a 3x8-pin or 4x8-pin to 12VHPWR?
For Seasonic it is two connectors back to the PSU for the one 12VHPWR. Each of the 8-pin blocks on the Seasonic can deliver 300 watts (they have cables that go to 2x PCIe power). They do offer one with 3 or 4 connectors on the PSU side as it isn't needed for their PSUs.

If you don't have a Seasonic SPU, don't get the cable as it is made for their pinouts which is not what everyone uses.

That reddit thread is 6 months old already. One of the posts mentions a bad batch of cables. I am using a launch cablemod 12VHPWR cable to my EVGA 1200 PSU and 4GPU plugs AND 180 degree cable mod adapter. Prior to the 180, I was just running the cablemod cable.

I'm guessing one of their workers did a bad job building some cables.

That reddit thread is 6 months old already. One of the posts mentions a bad batch of cables. I am using a launch cablemod 12VHPWR cable to my EVGA 1200 PSU and 4GPU plugs AND 180 degree cable mod adapter. Prior to the 180, I was just running the cablemod cable.

I'm guessing one of their workers did a bad job building some cables.
Saw another post around here that said they used a different connector in the bad batch that needed the cables to be terminated differently.

This is embarrassing for all venders involved, how hard is it to look up wire gauge and use proper size for load and voltage, this is basic electrical theory here. This is no diff than having a a non licensed person wire a house with the wrong gauge resulting in a fire.
I had a relative do this and insurance claim was denied.

These engineers should be fired or sent back to school. How can you have any confidence in buying a 4 or future 5 series NV card with this fire hazard looming.

The PSU/GPU cable is idiot proof for installation it latches into place and is keyed for fit so I do not entirely blame it on the consumer.

I too use the OEM Seasonic 12VHPWR adapter...$15 and works great on both my 4090 FE and ASUS TUF OC. I recently bought a few Thermal Grizzly WireViews to act as 90 adapters and haven't had any issues so far.

I thought the issues were happening from people bending the cable too much. Fortunately for me, I have plenty of clearance in my case and don't need an angled adapter.

I went from an ideal cable run to an ugly mess.
20221211_003556.jpg

I can't leave it the way it is, my stock PSU, 8-pin cables are way too long. Since my PC was built with the individually sleeved EVGA cables, I have to stay with an EVGA PSU. Unfortunately, EVGA doesn't offer any 12VHPWR or 12x2x6 cables and even if they did, they would most likely not be the length I need.

Therefore, it's looks like my options are to get a replacement 12VHPWR cable and hope it doesn't start happening again, get (3) individual 8-pin cables at the length I need and use the Nvidia adapter or wait a few weeks and get a 12v2x6 cable. All three options would be from Cablemod.

(If I were to get (3) individual 8-pin cables and use the Nvidia adapter, I would want to get a 3 port Nvidia adapter instead of a 4 port like I have. Since I'm not doing any overclocking, I don't need all 4 and don't want the extra clutter.)

Are these all my options above, if so what do you recommend?

I assume the Nvidia adapters will start becoming 12v2x6 also. Since the 12v2x6 is compatible with 12VHPWR, is there any reason for (12VHPWR) 4090 owners to want a (12v2x6) 4090?

I guess the 12v2x6 spec is still evolving and there might be several revisions before being official. Once a the standard is complete, I think Nvidia should replace the connector on the cards free of charge.

No way to know yet.
No, I wouldn't do that. Just wait for the updated spec versions of the Cablemod cables to come out, and update the cable. As it is, it's already less than 1 in 1000 chance you will have any issue, with the original 12vhpwr. Once you get the upgraded cable side 12 2x6 cable, chances are the odds of an issue will be significantly reduced.

I have a 4090fe, I plan to get the updated cable from Cablemod once it is available. Probably a few months away. They are posting updated information here: https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/152eez4/angled_adapter_updates_and_early_adopter_program/
Anyone that purchased the v1.0 Angled adapter, will get a $39.90 store credit to apply to the purchase of their choice of a v1.1 angled adapter, or the cables with a 90 degree connector built in.

The electrical engineers should have never signed off on that connector design cuz it sucks period. The load is too much for the contact surface area of the male to female pins and the pins are in too close proximity for proper heat dissipation which compounds the loss of pin tension and further increases the power dissipation at the connector. Separating the connector into a 2X6 configuration will alleviate the dissipation issue if the load is split evenly between the two plug connectors. Apparently Nvidia hired some former Chrysler EE’s to design that POS.

Reactions: pavel
like this
0.01% people had issues, not even 1%, its not a huge issue that its made out to be

This is misinformation, it's way too early to give an accurate number.

As I explained, my cable worked fine for 6 months and then the issue started happening Out of nowhere. It could start happening with your cable tomorrow.

Either way, this is a big deal especially for those who are unaware. I spend weeks troubleshooting, wondering what the hell was going on.

Now I'm worried if this issue caused any damage to my PC. The fans could have been stuck @100% for hours, multiple times before I noticed and forced a shut down.

As I explained, my cable worked fine for 6 months and then the issue started happening Out of nowhere. It could start happening with your cable tomorrow.

Either way, this is a big deal especially for those who are unaware. I spend weeks troubleshooting, wondering what the hell was going on.

Now I'm worried if this issue caused any damage to my PC. The fans could have been stuck @100% for hours, multiple times before I noticed and forced a shut down.
which cable you're using

That looks like it could be too much stress on the connector like that? No? I guess I don't know anything but I would use the 90 degree connector - whatever brand/kind ppl tend to say is good /sturdy - that won't result in problems. But, the standard plug in and 'leave it' with that stiff arc .... I'd be too scared. :) Also, when you put the side panel on there - I'd be concerned with it rubbing at all on the cable but that's just me. If other say - don't worry no problem, that guy is wrong.....great, then.

0.01% number was from articles that are looking into the cable adapter problems, based on how many people have issues to how many total sold

i just got my 4080 tuf and i thought about getting aftermarket cable, but after seeing people with corsair and cablemods ALSO have issues then I saved myself the $30 bucks
and used oem instead and it will probably work fine

I wasn't interested is the Cablemod 90 degree adapter because I had plenty of clearance with a 3x8-pin to 12VHPWR cable. You can see this in the images I provided above.

So, I'm being told Cablemod will have a new 12VHPWR cable available in about 4 weeks. Does anyone know if this will actually be a 12v6x2 cable?

I understand both 12VHPWR connectors, (plug side, card side) will be revised to 12v6x2. Are more changes being made to the plug side or card side?

Those changes are the new changes. I doubt any other updates would be proposed unless the 12 2x6 have issues.

12vhpwr is pretty low chance, but it's not 0 either. Cablemod said they've sold 80,000 of the adapters, 80 have had problems. Most of the failures with the default adapter Nvidia provides were shown to be user error, or cables pulled taught. That was about 50 users as of February.
Recommendation is to not start any bends for 38mm from the end of the plug that goes into your video card. Hence the market for the 90degree adapters.

12-2x6 should be significantly lower chance of issue, and hopefully eliminates them. The design includes longer pins on the GPU side, and a mandated connector receptacle that has more contact area on the cable side, both of which increase contact area. This will lower the temperature of the high current contact area. The spec mandated a specific amount that the temp had to be lowered, or the max that it could reach.
The sense pins are shortened so that a cable coming unplugged will trigger the card powering down more immediately, which should prevent any more melting.

If any issues continue, it will likely be cards that power down because your cable is getting flaky. But that's the point, and you will know to replace it, and no more melted connectors.

6 months from now we will know how the new spec pans out.

My pc is on 24/7 I recently checked my 90degree adapter, it was fine. I do want to transition to the Cablemod cable with a built in 90degree connector, waiting on the modflex version of that which I understand will have the new cableside connector changes.

I have the cablemod Corsair 3 to 1 cable and it's been fine and looks very clean. The adapter just never sounded appealing. It just seemed like stacking molex to me which I use to day back in the day but never again.

There have been an overwhelming amount of people having the exact same issue with Cablemod 12VHPWR cables. The screen goes black and fans are stuck @100%. The only way to stop it is to hold down the power button and force a restart.

Please see below,
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/10oouwe/12vhpwr_cable_leading_to_black_screen_on_4090/

Has anyone here had this issue? If so, did you get a replacement 12VHPWR cable from Cablemod? Are you still having the same problem with the replacement cable?

I guess this question is unimportant since the cable can go bad in time, at least that what happened to me. I had my cable for about 5 months before the issue started happening. I never even touched the cable after I first installed it. Cablemod told me that their cable can go bad in time from the heating and cooling that naturally occurs. It has to do with the sense pins.

Has anyone found a solution without using the included Nvidia 4x8-pin adapter. Are people people having this issue with modDIY 12VHPWR cables?

CableMod Issues Recall For All 12VHPWR Angled Connectors​

https://wccftech.com/cablemod-issues-recall-all-12vhpwr-angled-connectors-prevent-gpu-damage/

I had a v1.0 angled adapter, never had problems with it but since some people did and they came out with the v1.1, I stopped using the v1.0 and ordered the v1.1 with the coupon they emailed. Spent another $10 shipping. After a few hours of gaming, the screen went black... ugh. Telltale sign of the sense pins losing contact. Checked it, the adapter was tight, but really hot. Pulled it out immediately, checked it and the card, no melting. They sent me a new one, but I haven't installed it yet. I went back to the $12 aliexpress cable with the 90 degree connector.

The $12 aliexpress 90-degree cable has been fine. I used that initially before I ever got the v1.0 angled adapter.

The Cablemod cables have also apparently been fine, but the angled adapter, I would guess that the failure rate is way past 80 by now.

Last edited:
Maybe I haven't had my new system long enough but I haven't had any issues with the cablemod cable. I'm a little dissapointed that I didn't see the Seasonic one. I got one of the 180 degree connectors as well which got pulled out after seeing the recall notice.

The one thing that I really don't like about the cablemod cable is that they don't offer any ability to choose length and the cable they sent is barely long enough to reach my PSU in my enormous case.

I wanted white cables for my EVGA PSU and bought the complete set from EVGA. Never an issue.I find that the CableMod stuff uses wire that's too thin. 18 gauge over 16 gauge. This could be a problem if they are long extensions, IMHO.

Back