Cablecard Tuner to WAN Stream

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
So I just configured a Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 for use with iO cable service. After grabbing the tuning adapter, even the premium channels work fine. That said, I would like to stream this video across the net to another computer. What is the best way to accomplish this on a Win7 box?
Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Slingbox is a paid option, I don't think I want to drop any extra money into the project at this time. And remote potato states it's only for recorded TV. Is there any way to get live TV through it?

I think with RP you can start a recording and then watch it for psuedo-live tv. Though I'm not even sure if it would work with copy protected TV/recordings.

Have not used the Hauppauge (I have a Ceton) but does it show up in windows as a network adapter? You can bridge it on your network and use it as a live tuner on another laptop. Note that it won't be able to be used on the other computer at the same time, nor is there any dynamic assigning of tuners to each computer. This is really the only way I know of to accomplish getting actual live TV on another machine.

I realize that this is painfully unhelpful, but I would return the hauppage and get a silicon dust HD home run prime network tuner. I'm sure that there is a way to use another windows machine as an extender, but the hdhr prime provides the functionality you're looking for out of the box.

I realize that this is painfully unhelpful, but I would return the hauppage and get a silicon dust HD home run prime network tuner. I'm sure that there is a way to use another windows machine as an extender, but the hdhr prime provides the functionality you're looking for out of the box.

That's what I was thinking, it's a much much better solution. I know it's pricy, but you will instantly be glad you spent the money once you have it all setup.

Remote Potato is great for remote guide and scheduling recordings, but you can view live TV and its playback of interlaced content is lackluster IMO.

Orb will allow you to stream live and recorded content and is better at playback than remote potato IMO.

I use both.

If you're trying to stream across the internet (as in, cable internet instead of across ethernet cable or fiber or something), I can tell you right now that using a hdhomerun prime in and of itself won't work well for that. These things gobble up bandwidth even for non-HD channels. I can't even stream up to my room over wireless N without the occasional interference, much less over the internet.

Another psuedo live tv option that I've used before is Veetle. It's basically VLC player but it's dressed up a bit and takes care of the configuration for you. You need to have remote access to your pc to do it. You start the recording on your PVR then just point veetle or VLC to stream the file that your show is being recorded into. When you're using veetle it's doing on the fly transcoding so you can record the show at full quality but watch the stream at a lower quality that is internet friendly. I'm not sure if it's going to work on file from WMC if they are copy protected though.

If you're trying to stream across the internet (as in, cable internet instead of across ethernet cable or fiber or something), I can tell you right now that using a hdhomerun prime in and of itself won't work well for that. These things gobble up bandwidth even for non-HD channels. I can't even stream up to my room over wireless N without the occasional interference, much less over the internet.

Yea, from my experience with the HDHR prime, it was typically 10-20 mbps per HD stream, so WAN traffic might be a little rough unless your upstream can handle that. That's not counting what latency may do, as I'm not sure how the hdhr reacts to non-lan conditions.

All that being said, the HDHR prime is still a great device and does what its supposed to do very well.

HDHR streaming wouldnt work anyways unless you had an extra external IP for it.

Doesnt WinTV have a placeshifting option now?

Even if it doesnt just install Orb, and be done. It does UPnP so need to worry about opening ports.

Back