C8 - Write Error Rate - Not at zero...

Mav451

Supreme [H]ardness
So yesterday night, I was checking the SMART values for my HDs with CrystalDiskInfo and I noticed one of my drives was showing a 3 for "C8 - Write Error Rate". So far I haven't noticed anything strange. And now this morning, that value is down to 2.

Should I be getting a advanced RMA going just-in case? I'm inclined to err on the side of caution here.

*Checked just now (Dec24th 4PM) - C8 is now at 10. What the heck :(

And just checked Xmas morning - now it's at 1. Confusion reigns.

Last edited:
Bump - It was up at 9 this morning (Dec. 27th), now it's at 0 (Dec 27th, 3PM). I haven't restarted since Xmas morning. What is going on here.

Although I have seen non zero write error rates that statistic tends to be hard drive specific so I do not pay much attention to that. And yes I have hundreds of drives between home and work.

Yeah it's only happening on one specific drive. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and make the advanced RMA, just-in case.

Just an update on the HD in question - and it's not a good update:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

These are both WD10EALS (1TB Blue HDs). And yeah, the bad one is the HD with the increasing C8 Write Error Rate - it is now at 88, and performance is tanking. Yeah, safe to say an RMA is in order.
I've switched cables and ports, and the rest of my HDs (like the control HD) bench perfectly fine...so it's definitely HD specific.

Last edited:
Back