Buy new GTX 770 or used R9 290x OC Tri cool?

daterxoes

n00b
Both are around the same price. I use to have a GTX 780 and sold it for a playstation 4 (Dumb move on my part) and now living with the consequences.

I want my PC games back.

So for around the same price i can get a new GTX 770 SC or a USED R9 290x OC Tricooler.

The R9 was used for about 5 months and he says he only ever used the factory OC on it and also has reputable feedback.. hes asking for about 300 for it.

What do you think i should do? Someone said avoid any used AMD card because of btc mining but i dont really understand what that has to do with avoiding used AMD cards.

Thoughts?

290X no contest. 'used' in terms of computer parts really doesn't matter at all. if the card hasn't broken after five months of use it's not going to break.

I'd recommend the 290X as long as it's working fine when you receive it.

I have to agree that the 290x is the much better card. Those things are faster than a GTX 780 and can come within spitting distance of a GTX 780 Ti in a couple games. I don't like to buy used though. Ive had horrible luck buying used stuff and just finally gave up and feel its better to cough up the extra cash to get brand spankin' new stuff because its worth it to me for the peace of mind. But if that doesn't matter to you or you just have better luck than I do (which aint hard believe me) then definitely go with a 290x over a GTX 770. Hell like I said, Id take a 290x over a GTX 780!

Back